Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 11:29 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,695,258 times

Advertisements

I mean in terms of culture.

I would say Richmond is most Southern, followed by Nawfulk, then Charlottesville.

Fredericksburg has a mildly Southern quality.

NOVA is the least Southern (of course)
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 03:33 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I mean in terms of culture.

I would say Richmond is most Southern, followed by Nawfulk, then Charlottesville.

Fredericksburg has a mildly Southern quality.

NOVA is the least Southern (of course)
I feel Roanoke is probably the most Southern followed by Richmond, then Norfolk, charlottesville. I agree Nova is the least Southern. Though some parts show Southern architecture and thats about it.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I feel Roanoke is probably the most Southern followed by Richmond, then Norfolk, charlottesville. I agree Nova is the least Southern. Though some parts show Southern architecture and thats about it.
I agree Roanoke is Southern- but it has a strong Appalachian influence being closer to there, and its more Mountain-Southern

I picked Richmond first because its so much like Charleston and Savannah in terms of culture and personality and also architecture.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 9,568 times
Danville is most southern in every sense of the word (culturally and geographically).

Old 02-23-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scshields View Post
Danville is most southern in every sense of the word (culturally and geographically).
I have been to Danville. It is small, but I feel that Richmond is more Southern.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:34 AM

386 posts, read 986,953 times
I believe that smaller cities in Southside and Southwest VA/rural areas such as Lynchburg, Roanoke, Danville, Farmville, Martinsville, Abingdon and Emporia will give you more of a southern feel than Richmond personally. Most residents still have strong southern accents and the overall feeling is more southern in many parts of southside and southwest virginia. The more rural communitiess/citie of any southern state will seem more southern than a larger city. Listen to Ward Burton's accent from South Boston VA and compare that to any accent you would ever hear in Richmond . If you go to NC the concept will be the same with smaller cities such as Rocky Mount having stronger southern influences than Charlotte, or Raleigh. If you go to Georgia a city such as Savannah or Augusta will seem more southern than Atlanta.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:38 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I believe that smaller cities in Southside and Southwest VA/rural areas such as Lynchburg, Roanoke, Danville, Farmville, Martinsville, Abingdon and Emporia will give you more of a southern feel than Richmond personally. Most residents still have strong southern accents and the overall feeling is more southern in many parts of southside and southwest virginia. The more rural communitiess/citie of any southern state will seem more southern than a larger city. Listen to Ward Burton's accent from South Boston VA and compare that to any accent you would ever hear in Richmond . If you go to NC the concept will be the same with smaller cities such as Rocky Mount having stronger southern influences than Charlotte, or Raleigh. If you go to Georgia a city such as Savannah or Augusta will seem more southern than Atlanta.
I couldnt agree more. I moved here from Richmond. People here can definatly tell I'm not originally from here and when I tell them I am from Richmond they refer to me as a "Richmonder". Kinda weird but the difference between the people of the two cities are very different, a lot more so than I would have imagined before moving here. I think Roanokers have a different laid back lifestyle which I enjoy. I wouldnt say Richmond isnt southern but I have always felt (especially since moving here) that Roanoke is much more so a southern town. As for the comment about Ronaokers being more appalachian, I disagree the people of Appalacia are not to be compared to those in Roanoke for various reasons. Nothing against them but to me they are uncomparable. I think if you asked anyone who is from Roanoke.. What city is more southern Richmond or Roanoke? the answer would be.. "Richmond? Southern?"

Old 02-24-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Those cities are more "country", yes. But that doesnt neccessarily mean more "Southern". I do agree Danville might be more Southern than Richmond. But not by much.

For a city of its size, Richmond is right Southern. Much moreso than Atlanta, Nashville, or Charlotte.

Richmond has strong cultural ties to Eastern NC- and being close to NC we have many NC transplants here. That coupled with Virginia's own Southern traditions- make it quite a Southern cultural mecca.

I love the Old Richmond accent:

YouTube - A Very Richmond Phone Call

Old 02-24-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I couldnt agree more. I moved here from Richmond. People here can definatly tell I'm not originally from here and when I tell them I am from Richmond they refer to me as a "Richmonder". Kinda weird but the difference between the people of the two cities are very different, a lot more so than I would have imagined before moving here. I think Roanokers have a different laid back lifestyle which I enjoy. I wouldnt say Richmond isnt southern but I have always felt (especially since moving here) that Roanoke is much more so a southern town. As for the comment about Ronaokers being more appalachian, I disagree the people of Appalacia are not to be compared to those in Roanoke for various reasons. Nothing against them but to me they are uncomparable. I think if you asked anyone who is from Roanoke.. What city is more southern Richmond or Roanoke? the answer would be.. "Richmond? Southern?"
Disagree completely. Roanoake is a Mountain town. That is not more Southern. Its Appalachia.

Richmond is an Eastern Virginia city that has an Old South feel. Roanoke doesnt have that Old South feel that you typically get, because its very Southern Appalachia which is just simply another sub region of the South.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:49 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,350 times
Given the importance of being old family money and tradition I'd say Lynchburg is very southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia