Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:51 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,801 times

Advertisements

This is really unfortunate for the children of Vermont. To have diversity strikes against them then so many failing schools. I wonder what can be done? Only a handful of states spends more per pupil than VT. So more money is probably not the answer. Those kids are going to have a tough time competing with the rest of the world.
How Vermont schools stack up - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-
How Vermont schools stack up
Nearly one-third of Vermont schools are failing to make the grade under federal No Child Left Behind standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Doesn't surprise me. They're more concerned at my son's school that he doesn't have a girlfriend (he's just turned 12!) or that he is to be pitied rather than taught the skills to get him into college. They practice a lot of segregating of special ed kids and allow them to flounder 'at their own pace.'

Guess you don't need much education to say "Welcome to Walmart" anyhow.

I recently read an article that Vermont is rejecting federal aid because they would have to 'show results.' That tells you something. During a recession they need every dime but they can't be 'held accountable' so they won't be getting the $$$.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:17 PM

118 posts, read 284,965 times
Anytime I say anything about how much Vermont schools suck people come out of the woodwork to argue that I'm wrong. Now this. What gives? I'm beginning to wonder how many posters here work in the Vermont school system.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:19 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
This is really unfortunate for the children of Vermont. To have diversity strikes against them then so many failing schools. I wonder what can be done? Only a handful of states spends more per pupil than VT. So more money is probably not the answer. Those kids are going to have a tough time competing with the rest of the world.
How Vermont schools stack up - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-
How Vermont schools stack up
Nearly one-third of Vermont schools are failing to make the grade under federal No Child Left Behind standards.
According to many education experts, NCLB is unfortunate for the children of a lot of other states, too. Here are other measures, viewable state by state:

State Profiles.net

Old 05-11-2010, 01:00 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
According to Sheryl's link, Vermont scores are above the national average.
Again, if you are a motivated student you will do well. If you are not, you won't. Doesn't matter where you live.

Last edited by vter; 05-11-2010 at 01:24 PM..

Old 05-11-2010, 01:09 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Mustmove...you live in Mass now right (why the obsession w/Vermont)?
In 2008, "50 percent of all Massachusetts public schools have been identified for improvement, corrective action, or restructuring under the federal accountability system, based on student performance on the 2008 MCAS English and math exams."
Rising NCLB Targets Lead to More Schools Identified For Improvement - School and District Accountability
Same year, 40% rate for Connecticut.
YIKES

Last edited by vter; 05-11-2010 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-11-2010, 01:53 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,801 times
vter correct VT rates for race and VT is doing far and away worse than MA or CT. Standardized tests discriminate which artificially improves VT's rank seeing as VT is 99%+ white. If VT doesn't have a problem why didn't they take the federal money? Not like VT to turn down OPM. And yes I live in MA now, is there anything wrong with sharing information and concern about VT?

Old 05-11-2010, 02:07 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
If your child is in 'regular ed.' or 'above' then likely they will do well despite failing schools (not just in Vermont but all over).

The problem is the Special Ed. kids keep falling through the cracks. Too many times they are put in remedial classes and keep slipping behind their grade work due to whatever their disabilities.

In my son's case, he physically has trouble writing so he was taken out of regular English. It's not that he can't do the work (in my opinion) but because they don't want to put in the extra work to help him get to where he needs to be.

He is in remedial math as well. In his other 2 regular classes he is in the A/B range.

I see it's easier to dumb down these kids, stick them in classes where they get 'rah rahed' if they can add 4 +3. Okay, that is just ridiculous in middle school. This child is college bound but will he get there with this type of education?

Old 05-11-2010, 02:09 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
The problem is the stranglehold the unions have on our education system here. We need to do what others have done: demand results with lower budgets or fire all the union teachers.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:11 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
If your child is in 'regular ed.' or 'above' then likely they will do well despite failing schools (not just in Vermont but all over).

The problem is the Special Ed. kids keep falling through the cracks. Too many times they are put in remedial classes and keep slipping behind their grade work due to whatever their disabilities.

In my son's case, he physically has trouble writing so he was taken out of regular English. It's not that he can't do the work (in my opinion) but because they don't want to put in the extra work to help him get to where he needs to be.

He is in remedial math as well. In his other 2 regular classes he is in the A/B range.

I see it's easier to dumb down these kids, stick them in classes where they get 'rah rahed' if they can add 4 +3. Okay, that is just ridiculous in middle school. This child is college bound but will he get there with this type of education?
Yep. When I was in school, the teachers said I couldn't read well and put me in the dumb classes (that's what everyone called them but the teachers). My father taught me to read better than the rest of the class in a week...the teachers simply didn't want to put any effort into anything. No wonder even in college most of my classmates couldn't hardly read...

I've seen the problems from both sides, as a student and for a time as a teacher...I'll homeschool if I ever have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont