Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,755,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Bee, I know Long Island schools vary and some are terrible and some are okay. Here average is okay with them and he is not pushed, despite his above average IQ.
They will not give him the help he needs to be in mostly regular ed. classes.

The school budget is slashed and having a scribe for him seems to be a on and off situation. He's been told 'just write for yourself' (he has motor control issues but I see he is getting better in leaps and bounds as he matures and is hitting adolescence.)

Good parts of VT schools...well, our 2 elementary schools were WONDERFUL. They paid to diagnosis his disorder (Long Island school would not and always gave us a vague 'he has some sort of learning disability' reply).

The schools here have small to tiny classes. Compared to the 28-30 on Long Island...well, you can't!

The bottom line, a normal to bright kids will be fine in almost any school with positive reinforcement and encouragement. There are kids in 'the hoods' of NYC who graduate with honors and go on to Ivy League colleges.

The special ed. kids fall through the cracks over and over. I saw it in NY with my son and I see it here. I also feel like he is not challenged enough.

Our school has 'programs' that they say 'he cannot do' due to his 'deficiencies' but he's on the Honor Roll. Why advertise you offer language (foreign) in 7th grade when they are NOT available/discouraged for most kids?
It's frustrating when a person isn't dealing with special needs, but to have to fight, or depend on on again, off again -- I am sorry you have to experience that both in VT and when you were back here.

I can only compare my son's HS (WM in 3V) with the one in GMUHS. The small school could not offer anywhere near the programs the larger HS offers. It is limited by space, staff and funds. The student course guide @WM is almost as extensive as a small college's offerings. I had to choose between him being a big fish in a small pond, or a more realistic realistic experience with highly competitive classmates to prepare him for college. Having the university within the school district is a big plus, too.

The time during which we considered this, he was in Jr HS. The middle school in VT had a passing grade of 60, and honor roll started in the upper 70s! (I kid you not.) My son was consistently in the 90's and on high honors locally; I couldn't see how he would be challenged to achieve if 70's were honor roll.

To try to go back on topic: I wonder how many of the underperforming schools are that way because the students don't feel the need to rise to a challenge when a 70-something will land them on honor roll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 03:57 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,088,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It

To try to go back on topic: I wonder how many of the underperforming schools are that way because the students don't feel the need to rise to a challenge when a 70-something will land them on honor roll?
Exactly.
I want to know if this Honor Roll is legit. I do see he gets As & Bs but still....
My son's Science class is extremely challenging, though. I can see if you master that information you deserve an A.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:04 AM

894 posts, read 1,561,257 times
The statewide wide elementary science test that was given last year had 25% pass rate across the state. What would have been our elementary school(brand new facility, lots of teachers)if we stayed in VT had a 100% failure rate. Every kid in the school failed the test. How does that happen? I don't think it has to do with expectations being set low, unless you mean adult VTers personal expectations.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:31 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,755,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
The statewide wide elementary science test that was given last year had 25% pass rate across the state. What would have been our elementary school(brand new facility, lots of teachers)if we stayed in VT had a 100% failure rate. Every kid in the school failed the test. How does that happen? I don't think it has to do with expectations being set low, unless you mean adult VTers personal expectations.
Would you mind posting the link for the test, please? I am curious to see how the Chester-Andover elementary school faired.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:05 PM

118 posts, read 285,237 times
I wouldn't put much weight on the results of that test. According to the letter sent home with our kids last their elementary school scored #1 in several categories and you all know my opinion of the school. Pass or fail, they're all mediocre just the same.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:28 PM

Like everywhere else, you as a parent have to be involved with your child. Don't let the school have him or her 6 hours a day and expect like a cookie cutter Junior is getting what he needs.

You have to ask WHY when he comes home for the fifth day in a row 'is there no homework?' or why he isn't getting help with math and so on.

Too many parents, and not just in VT, are hands off. By the time their kids get to middle school and start balking at you asking questions or setting limits, the kids are on the road of 'ruin.'

In addition, you have to be willing to get in there and crack open a book and help your kid learn good study habits.

Make education a priority in your home and expect the school work to be done, along with supplemental work YOU may have to assign, before allowing your kids to hang out or goof off.

I know it is easy to blame the schools but as parents we have to step up and help our kids. If that means taking them to the library after work, do it. Or getting them extra tutoring help, pay for it.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:52 PM

Agreed GypsySoul22, but it sure helps to have a good school at your side. It sure helps to have your children's peers come from homes that value education as much as you do. And, it sure helps to have community of successful people in a variety of disciplines who you can access as your childes needs and interest evolve.

My child' music teacher in Vermont... also drives the school bus.
My child's music teacher in CT... also plays at the philharmonic.

See the difference?

Old 05-14-2010, 01:23 PM

Okay but complaining is not going to change it.

You can only change yourself and your situation.
If not, bide your time till you can. (leave).

You want to go live in an affluent area? Then go. No one has chains on you, do they? (I'm not doubting it is hard to move away from home and family but if you seek something else, then go).

Old 05-14-2010, 02:24 PM

Gypsy, I already left. I still consider VT home is some ways though because its where I grew up, its where I started my family, and I still own a home there that I visit when I can.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang! View Post
Gypsy, I already left. I still consider VT home is some ways though because its where I grew up, its where I started my family, and I still own a home there that I visit when I can.
Okay, I thought you still lived here.
It's hard to see your home state change and watch it be imploded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont