Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:37 PM

368 posts, read 999,176 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, my husband had a job opportunity in Vergennes. From all the research we did while considering a move to Vermont, we kind of fell in love with the place. The job fell through and we moved to Virginia (no regrets, it's nice here, but we're kind of ready to move on). We've been toying with the idea of trying to find something in VT again (we have extended family scattered all throughout the northeast and New England), but we're kind of put out by that thread about the future (or, really, lack thereof) for the state. We're looking to settle in our "forever" place with our four kids and don't really love the idea of them having to "flee" as soon as they graduate high school. Is the state of things really that bad there or is that thread an exaggeration? Should we be looking somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 01:11 AM

914 posts, read 2,929,637 times
Where do you live in Virginia, if you don't mind me asking? And what about the state makes you want to move on to someplace else?

Old 02-21-2012, 06:07 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,298,639 times
If you have a good paying job then, no, it's not all that bad. But the key is finding that good paying job.
As for kids leaving the state, yes, it happens. Many leave for jobs, some leave for a change of scenery.
Life is what you make of it though. There are many people who don't like it here for whatever reasons, yet there are those of us that love it even though there are many "faults".

Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 AM

vter--Would you say most kids leave or do a good number stick around and raise their own families? We like it here in VA (Newport News)--the weather is the best we've found (and we've lived in quite a few places), but we're really itching to get back to the northeast (the whole southern culture is quite different than we expected) and we'd love to be closer to family again. But, on the other hand, I don't want to "settle" somewhere just to have the kids take off in a couple of years for lack of jobs or other young people. VA is definitely somewhere you could live your whole life quite contentedly (there are jobs, friendly people, things to do, natural beauty)--it just doesn't feel like "our place."

Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 AM

444 posts, read 790,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artistatheart View Post
A few years ago, my husband had a job opportunity in Vergennes. From all the research we did while considering a move to Vermont, we kind of fell in love with the place. The job fell through and we moved to Virginia (no regrets, it's nice here, but we're kind of ready to move on). We've been toying with the idea of trying to find something in VT again (we have extended family scattered all throughout the northeast and New England), but we're kind of put out by that thread about the future (or, really, lack thereof) for the state. We're looking to settle in our "forever" place with our four kids and don't really love the idea of them having to "flee" as soon as they graduate high school. Is the state of things really that bad there or is that thread an exaggeration? Should we be looking somewhere else?
Regarding the doom-and-gloom posters, I think some of those who've lived in Vermont for a long time don't fully understand that there are structural changes going on in the U.S. economy, and that people are under a lot of stress everywhere, not just here. For example, most young males are getting lousy, low-paying jobs throughout the country. These posters also don't seem to understand that rural states have small economies, which simply means less jobs. Most people who have the proper training for good jobs that have openings seem to be doing fine here. There's just a trade-off between lots of jobs/crowded, ugly environment and few jobs/expansive, beautiful environment. You can't have both.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,298,639 times
Thanks Pauldorell-you said it better than I could.
Regarding young folks leaving, I'll tell you my experience. I grew up in the NEK, graduating HS 20 years or so ago. Went to UVM. I left to live in Boston. Why? More jobs, but more importantly, I wanted to live in a city. I wanted to try something different. I eventually moved back to Vermont and found a great job-why? 'cause I realized that I'm not a city person.
A lot of my classmates who left Vermont are trying to find ways to come back because as they've found the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side. Some have taken over family businesses. Others have found jobs from where they are and moved back. Some are very happy with where they landed whether it be NYC or California or wherever. It just depends on the person.
Keep in mind your kids may not want to settle down wherever you are so it won't really matter where you live.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Keep in mind your kids may not want to settle down wherever you are so it won't really matter where you live.
Of course they will, cause I'm just that cool.

Thanks, vter--just want to make sure that if I haven't run 'em off by then, they'll have the opportunity to stay if they want.

Last edited by artistatheart; 02-21-2012 at 09:39 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 09:49 AM

54 posts, read 167,219 times
Default Structural Changes

PaulDorell is 100% in his assessment that "there are structural changes going on in the U.S. economy, and that people are under a lot of stress everywhere, not just here". There are thousands of jobs in the US that remain unfilled because they cannot find workers with the right skills to fill them. Vermont's unemployment rate is one of the lowest in the country but if you don't the right skills for this "new economy" life could be quite miserable for you in VT or in any other state for that matter.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:48 PM

400 posts, read 851,580 times
I'd say a good half of my classmates from high school no longer reside in the state, just based on the ones on facebook. It could be more but its kind of hard to tell. Maybe some of them will come back...but I'm sure some will still leave so I think that is how its going to be.

I wouldn't and won't bet on my kids staying in state. I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but I've thought about the far future. I'd like to stay in the house I'm in now but if my future potential grand kids end up somewhere else I'm going to remain open to leaving to go live near them.

Its not as if there is something on the horizon that seems like it will keep young people staying where they leaving before. The situation as far as I can see it will remain about the same in the future. There aren't many entry level positions for young professionals here. And when you can't find a entry level job for a career you trained in you will often move elsewhere to find one. And then you become established and it becomes unfeasible for some to return even if they want too.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:59 PM

914 posts, read 2,929,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artistatheart View Post
the whole southern culture is quite different than we expected
What - you never saw Gone With the Wind????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont