Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 11,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
Here is another little tidbit I forgot. The movie theater, Movieplex 9. More like Lameoplex 9. The screens are tiny. The employees are mentaly incapible to operate a cash register, let alone a projector. Oh and if you want to see a movie in the winter, better bring your coat, or hope that the theater is packed, its cold in there.
I think you forgot about the rats running up the walls in Movieplex 9. I'm not kidding. Also, bring a bag to carry your trash in. The gabage cans are overflowing. Apparently, the employees don't even have the mental capacity to empty the garbage cans. *sigh* I can't wait to get out of the Rut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 09:03 AM

17 posts, read 98,928 times
Stop trashing Rutland! We're about to put our house up for sale (in western Rutland County) and I want everyone to think Rutland is great!!! SHHH!!

We'll be passing by you guys on the Thruway (relocating hopefully to the suburbs of Syracuse).

P.S. Loved the Rutles reference. I think I saw Stig rummaging around behind the abandoned Taco Bell.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:20 AM

6 posts, read 23,588 times
Default Sandblast, I can agree with you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
Rutland is a cultureless town, not even fit to be called a city. The schools are horrible, teachers not caring about anything. I don't think they would noticed if the school burned down while they were in the building. The idea of a exciting night on the town is going to MacDonalds and renting a movie from Blockbuster. There are barely any stores, and when mainstream stores do come, the employees either don't care about the customers or don't have the mental abilty to think properly. Granted, Vermont is beautiful, buts thats all it is. The skiing is excellent, Killington being rated among the top ski resorts. But beauty and skiing just doesn't cut it. There also is no job market. Any young adults with any sense would leave, just because there are two job choices: Work at Wal-Mart, or bag grocerys at Grand Union. I think this video on youtube sums up Rutland very nicely.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Li0ZXOdUHjE
I have been here in Burlington, for about 6 monthes now, and have seen nothing that would make someone (other than myself) relocate here. The land, yes is very nice, (thinking of something else that is nice about this place) oh well I can't think of anything else right now, but yes the cost of living is very high, pay wages are very low, and there is NOTHING to do. This state truly depends on the ski, and Maple seasons to drive the economy here, and it is just not enough. I have come to realize that most people here, have never spent anytime outside of the state, to see what is really offered elsewhere, so what you have are generations of families that stay here and raise families here and the cycle continues. I came here, from Dallas, sold my home, sold 2 cars, and some most of my things, even fore went my job, making $100k++ to come here where there is NO job market, and people are forced to work 2 and 3 jobs to make a living. I have taken a job, making $18k a year to have something to do. My better half is a school teacher making $40k, and is from Vermont, and all of her family is still here that had alot to do with me coming here. If things were different, we would move back to Dallas, and continue with our lives. I am a young adult, educated, bright, with goals, goals that will never be met, as long as I am here in VT.
If you are thinking of moving here (to VT) think it through, make good choices, because this place will not even afford you the encome to dig your way out to move on to a new location.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 8,003 times
Default .....

Nothing to do in the area huh? how about the beautiful lakes that surround the region? ever go boating or swimming.. kayaking? how about getting on a 4 wheeler and exploring all the amazing views the area has to offer. As far as night life in Rutland goes, it ought to be apparent that's non existent. what's wrong with hanging around a camp fire and throwing a few back? And let's not forget that Vermont holds some of the highest school testing scores in America. Not to mention our State Police force is up there in ratings as well. I don't understand how you can base any opinion on Rutland by the down town part of the city. What city do you know of that has a nice down town or "gut"? Let's also not forget a couple very important industries that are in the Rutland region such as GE and Omya. GE supplies military air plane parts which are very important to America. Omya is a lime quarry and supplies lime to most of New England i believe. If there's anything else anyone thinks is a problem around here let me know, I'll be glad to prove you wrong some more.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:55 PM

7 posts, read 25,678 times
culture, is that some sort of code people who want to sit on their butts and be entertained use for they are lazy slugs that bore themselves ?

For money hungry materialistic people, vermont isn't the place you are looking for. It's for people who enjoy living their own life, planting a garden, actually visiting the neighbors and having them over to visit. Working outdoors cutting & splitting firewood, fixing their own home up, blowing bambi's brains out and cooking the sucker for dinner.

If people want to be an urban city slicker, I'm sure many places offer that lifestyle outside vermont, go there.There are no stores here, like to shop because you can't do much else, go live someplace that has stores.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:50 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
Rutlands a depressing dump.
'Culture' in Rutland is getting drunk
and spending the day at WAL*MART.
The only reason to locate to Rutland is if
the other choice is jail or Calcutta.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Rutlands a depressing dump.
'Culture' in Rutland is getting drunk
and spending the day at WAL*MART.
The only reason to locate to Rutland is if
the other choice is jail or Calcutta.
There is alot of culture in Rutland...just cause your unaware of it doesn't mean it's not there.
Welcome to Downtown Rutland Vermont, Rutland business directory guide.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:01 PM

26 posts, read 81,990 times
I think (as with most things) it's all a matter of perspective. Granted, I haven't been to visit Rutland yet, but from what I've read on this forum and on local websites, etc. it seems similar to the area I come from and currently reside in. Entertainment is really what you make of it, and culture doesn't necessarily have to be dropped in your lap for one to experience it. Ever try reading a book? This is directed to those trashing the rural VT life, btw. Forget city night-life, traffic congestion, consumerism and our society's all-too-common attitude of entitlement! Personally, I'll take hard work, quiet winter nights, digging in the dirt, and raising or hunting your own animals any day.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:46 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
There is alot of culture in Rutland...just cause your unaware of it doesn't mean it's not there.
Welcome to Downtown Rutland Vermont, Rutland business directory guide.

I spent two years in the Rutland area. Im pretty sure I know what went on there.
If my Wife didnt have a contract to fulfill I would have been gone in 8 months.
All the fairs and stuff are great but they dont represent the day-to-day life in Rutland.
I stand by what I said. It is unequivocally the most depressing, smallminded and provincial
place I have ever lived in my whole life. As I look back on those years now, I dont see how I survived it.
Sorry if it offends, but that is my opinion.

Last edited by KoZmiC NinJa; 10-09-2007 at 04:58 PM..

Old 10-11-2007, 05:52 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Not meaning to endorse the title of this thread, but tonights news announced yet another blow to the Rutland area in that Metrogroup, the regions ninth largest employer will close it's Vermont operations laying off 200 employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont