Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 07:12 PM

26 posts, read 82,038 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first post and if anyone has time to help me find a few answers to my questions I'd be so grateful!

First, a little background. My husband is considering a job in North Clarendon, but it's not a definite thing yet. We're currently living in rural central PA, which is where I grew up. The closest walmart is 30 minutes away (which we try to avoid at all costs, anyway), and we're used to supporting local businesses for the daily things we need. Sounds like this is the way it works in VT, also?

I've been reading a few threads here and have decided that Rutland city is not for us. We're not city people, anyway, even if it's a small city. We would like to have 1-2 acres at least, but that's not set in stone.

We're okay with taking time to fit in with the community, as we're an introverted family anyway.

So my questions...

1. How high are taxes, really? On a 200-250K home, what's that like? Our taxes are pretty low here, so that will be an adjustment.

2. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy raw milk easily? What about organic beef, chicken, and vegetables from local farms? Maybe I'm spoiled by the Amish community here, but all those things are possible at a low cost.

3. We're thinking of living near Brandon... wise choice? Why or why not? How long of a drive would that be from North Clarendon.

4. Is there a nice area south of North Clarendon that is rural, yet not too depressed?

Thanks for any comment you may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 10:07 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Brandon is a nice community. I really like it. BUT, if the job is in North Clarendon, you'll be commuting through Rutland every day and Route 7 south of town is strip mall/traffic light hell. I only go through on weekends when all the shoppers are out, so maybe weekdays are not as bad.
As far as towns south of North Clarendon...Clarendon/North Clarendon are nice - rural. As is Wallingford. My parents just moved to Wallingford from the Bennington area and they really like it. It's a nice small rural community.
I can't help with taxes, but call around to the town halls of the towns you are considering and they'll give you the tax rate. I live south of Burlington and we pay a little under $4k per year for a small cape (3bdrms) on 5 acres.
There are lots of organic farms though I can't tell you of any in the Rutland area (as I don't know!). I'm sure there are some that sell their meat/produce.
Since you're coming from a rural area, I don't worry about you experiencing culture shock like many transplants to (they're mostly from urban areas). Good luck!! If you have any further questions please post!

Old 09-16-2007, 06:45 AM

Thanks so much for your reply! The traffic/commute is definitely something we'll have to consider. Since you only go on weekends, maybe you can't answer this, but do you have an estimate of how long that commute would take during peak times?

If I can't find a good source for milk and meat I may just have to raise my own. It's good to know that there are plenty of organic farms around, though! My hope is to have my own garden there, as well, but I'm sure there will be a learning curve with the climate differences.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:09 PM

8 posts, read 35,541 times
I would suggest Wallingford as well. Brandon is beautiful but it's on one end of Rutland and N. Clarendon is on the direct opposite. Also Ludlow is nice and close by, you might want to check that out. As far as organic farmers, they may not advertise, you may need to seek them out but I can promise that if you go to local farms they will be more than happy to help you out. Farmers struggle financially in VT and would love the extra business. Hope that helps!

Old 09-18-2007, 09:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,826,625 times
I second KellyVt's suggestion of Wallingford. If the job is in N. Clarendon then Wallingford is a quick drive as Rt 7 divides again just north of Wallingford.

Ludlow is an expensive ski town, high property taxes and abit of a drive to Rt 7. Gotta be close to 30 miles.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:50 AM

Great suggestions, and very encouraging about the farmers. Thanks to you both!

Old 10-03-2007, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,662 times
Default VT Taxes - Double taxation

Actually, I have the problem of paying double taxes. I own a vacation home in VT and live in Mass and recently I had a judgement for a LOT of money and have had to pay Mass tax (about 5%) AND Vermont tax (9%) so be very circumspect and consult a lawyer and an account before you move.

Linda

Old 10-04-2007, 07:11 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,969 times
We moved from rural PA(Chesco - Lanco Co.) to Rutland and I worked in North Clarendon.
The cost of living is phenominal in VT and I dont know of any business that
pays a reasonable, liveable wage in N. Clarendon but if your husband has an
offer, I guess this doesnt apply. But, do your research well !!!!
Take the time to visit and look around. Call oil dealers...check the price of food..
the drive to different places, etc....

Old 03-22-2009, 05:40 AM

7 posts, read 20,658 times
There are great farm markets. Rutland has a year round downtown farm market on Saturday. It attracts vendors from as far away as Fort Edward NY. Lots of organic farms, with sources for natural or organic chicken, beef, lamb and mutton, pork, rabbit, vggies, and what fruit grows this far north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont