Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 08:17 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,982 times

Advertisements

Absolutely beautiful. Is that a grapevine? Hope you enjoy your wine during the cold snowy nights!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 06:49 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Absolutely beautiful. Is that a grapevine? Hope you enjoy your wine during the cold snowy nights!!!
Yes it's a grape vine. Personally, it blocks my view, but the wife loves it.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:29 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,988 times
Haha - I got one of them. Wife, that is. When we bought our house a long time ago, it had a few vines here and there, but the grapes were bitter so I didn't see much reason in keeping them around. Ours didn't provide any useful shade like yours. Anyway, they were out behind the barn, so they're long gone. I hung on to the wife though - and those are great pics.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:14 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,982 times
You could've used used the leaves to make stuffed grape leaves. Mmmmm. That's what we used to do with ours.

Quickdraw - are your grapes sweet?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
You could've used used the leaves to make stuffed grape leaves. Mmmmm. That's what we used to do with ours.

Quickdraw - are your grapes sweet?
They are sweet, but they vary from year to year. Some years they look like they belong in a magazine, other years not so good. Even in the good years, we'll get a sour one in an otherwise good bunch. Makes biting into each one a bit of an adventure. We don't eat too many.

Good and bad years probably have something to do with bugs, which of course vary greatly every year. Maybe japanese beatles?

Our peach harvest varies greatly from year to year too. Unfortunately one of our two peach trees died last year. The other one doesn't look far behind.
Squirrels eat 95 percent of them anyway. They like to take a single bite out of a peach and move on to the next one.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:17 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
The reason they vary is the climate. They both need warmer weather and milder winters than we get. Neither grapes nor peaches should technically grow up here but they will, just a bit unreliably. I've found wild grapes and they've made good jelly, if nothing else. I've yet to find any old peach trees in the woods though.

Nice pics, BTW.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The reason they vary is the climate. They both need warmer weather and milder winters than we get. Neither grapes nor peaches should technically grow up here but they will, just a bit unreliably. I've found wild grapes and they've made good jelly, if nothing else. I've yet to find any old peach trees in the woods though.

Nice pics, BTW.
Do you know much about fruit trees? If you look at the pictures, in front of our cabin, you'll see a cherry tree. After six years, we have never had cherries, plenty of lush green leaves though. The previous owner said she had cherries. Is there anything we can do?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Do you know much about fruit trees? If you look at the pictures, in front of our cabin, you'll see a cherry tree. After six years, we have never had cherries, plenty of lush green leaves though. The previous owner said she had cherries. Is there anything we can do?
Is it a sweet or sour cherry tree? And is there another cherry tree nearby or was there in the past?

It could be a lot of things: poor pollination (more likely with sweet cherries), disease or insect issues, lack of nutrients, or, the reason sweet cherries are not so common up here, cold damage to the buds (this is a common issue with a lot of fruits that aren't really adapted to the climate here).

Here's some good pics showing how to tell if you've got damage to the buds: Assessing Frost Freeze Damage to Stone Fruit Trees (http://www.canr.msu.edu/vanburen/frstprun.htm - broken link)

Old 03-27-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Is it a sweet or sour cherry tree? And is there another cherry tree nearby or was there in the past?

It could be a lot of things: poor pollination (more likely with sweet cherries), disease or insect issues, lack of nutrients, or, the reason sweet cherries are not so common up here, cold damage to the buds (this is a common issue with a lot of fruits that aren't really adapted to the climate here).

Here's some good pics showing how to tell if you've got damage to the buds: Assessing Frost Freeze Damage to Stone Fruit Trees (http://www.canr.msu.edu/vanburen/frstprun.htm - broken link)
Don't know about sweet or sour, or if there was another one. I'll check out the buds. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Don't know about sweet or sour, or if there was another one. I'll check out the buds. Thanks!
Just don't cut them all up, obviously. Check some here and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont