Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2023, 11:30 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,374,752 times

Advertisements

The photos and video footage I'm seeing look absolutely terrible. "Stay safe" sounds so inadequate right now, but I'll say it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 12:16 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz88 View Post
Midnight update. Downtown Montpelier shut down till noon tomorrow. Part of I-89 closed…..

https://youtu.be/lS4CSmV9eiw
Saw how the reporter and a number of others got caught when I-89 closed. Heard how an idiot driver drove around the barricades on Winooski Street in Waterbury putting the rescue team at risk. Watched as another driver was driving through the water behind a reporter in Richmond. Not the best presentation of smarts that Vermont has had.

Montpelier got more flooding than during Irene. There is drone footage on youtube that shows all the streets flooded. Waterbury flood water currently is only up to the floor of the fire station, but I would not be surprised to see it rise a couple inches or more. Much as I predicted.

There was a rush to the Intervale in Burlington before the floods to try to salvage the produce from the gardens planted there.

Home and flood insurance rates in the state are going to skyrocket. Two events in eleven years doesn't sit well with insurance companies.

Old 07-11-2023, 01:55 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Montpelier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UaLeIcGNRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl8WZTo1cKU&t=182s

Waterbury:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSnsDNfmFdw

Old 07-11-2023, 02:04 PM

12,490 posts, read 9,570,120 times
There is a good deal of topography in many of the images/videos I have seen so the effects are local, but for people/buildings located in low-lying areas adjacent to some of these streams and rivers - you can see these effects are devastating. My heart goes out to those hit by this natural disaster.

Old 07-11-2023, 04:58 PM

9,467 posts, read 5,237,391 times
Things are really bad in many areas. But people are being moved to safety and I think the feds are going to help out. This is much worse than Irene. I travelled around today (safely, for a doctor's appointment) and water was cresting the banks at every river I passed. The levels are supposed to recede, so hope is alive.

Old 07-11-2023, 06:18 PM

13,622 posts, read 377,966 times
Brandon ..Champlain street..
On the scanner just heard what I think is first road closure in this *immediate area so far..
First I have heard of in town anyways. I haven’t been anywhere.
Cancelled an appt. Yesterday…just in case lol…probably would have been fine..
(The cat made me do it)^
we have been very very very lucky compared to others.

Last edited by Summerz88; 07-11-2023 at 06:36 PM..

Old 07-11-2023, 06:29 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,374,752 times
This may be old news to some, but I just learned today about this site, where you can see which roads are open for you to get safely from Point A to Point B. As the person who shared this said, "Please keep in mind that conditions on some of our "local" back roads (dirt and gravel) may not be reflected on this site and you should drive with caution."

Again, stay safe!

https://newengland511.org/

Old 07-12-2023, 04:27 AM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
Locally privately owned and public dams have come under scrutiny and either been ordered lowered or removed. What were once bodies of water are now wetlands with streams or shallower reservoirs. These were said to be in danger of failing under historic rainfall totals which exceeded what has ever been recorded. I think this government overreach may have contributed to some flooding. Its also a cost cutting move since dams have to be maintained and that isn't budget friendly. As one local politico was quoted " You can't use a piece of land for anything other than fishing if its under water.
" Well, build in a flood plane and you'll have to rebuild it again and again.

Old 07-12-2023, 12:49 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Looks like Dac Rowe field is already flooded. Based on past history, I'm betting that at least the state office complex will have flooding. There is a choke point in the river, just below where Thatcher Brook enters and the railroad embankment and the mountain do a squeeze. If that mountain base was blasted so the river had about 25 feet more width, the worst of the flooding would be in the flood plain above Bolton Falls (most of the time), not in town. When the railroad was built, it cut off the natural oxbow in the river that would have done that, creating Butler Pond. Apparently, nobody has put two and two together for a hundred years. The 1927 flood should have been the wakeup call, but the blame was laid at Bolton Falls, the next chokepoint down.

Actually, the diversion tunnel that was made when the dam there was rehabbed should never have been completely closed. It is needed in flood times and could have had a gate installed instead. North Williston would fill up faster though.

It'll be interesting to see what tomorrow and the next day bring.
Yes, Dac Rowe was flooded, but from the pictures I've seen of the complex the water never made it up to the buildings. The redesign and reconstruction after 2011 was really effective.

I haven't been to Waterbury because I've been focused on Montpelier, but it looks as though they have had a lot of volunteers come out, which is gratifying. Still a long road, though.

Old 07-12-2023, 01:01 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Saw how the reporter and a number of others got caught when I-89 closed. Heard how an idiot driver drove around the barricades on Winooski Street in Waterbury putting the rescue team at risk. Watched as another driver was driving through the water behind a reporter in Richmond. Not the best presentation of smarts that Vermont has had.

Montpelier got more flooding than during Irene. There is drone footage on youtube that shows all the streets flooded. Waterbury flood water currently is only up to the floor of the fire station, but I would not be surprised to see it rise a couple inches or more. Much as I predicted.

There was a rush to the Intervale in Burlington before the floods to try to salvage the produce from the gardens planted there.

Home and flood insurance rates in the state are going to skyrocket. Two events in eleven years doesn't sit well with insurance companies.
Yes, we were hit very hard in Montpelier, worse than either flood in 2011. We're making progress on all fronts, including cleaning the roads up, getting the three main municipal buildings energized, and mobilizing tons of volunteers to help with getting the buildings cleared out and cleaned up. FEMA was downtown today and they want to help.

I'm hoping all the media I'm doing will raise awareness and support, because Montpelier and much of the state is going to need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont