Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:20 PM

189 posts, read 301,624 times

Advertisements

Ok, Vermonters, I know this will probably get a laugh but we'd really like to know the answer.

My husband and I are considering an opportunity in Vermont. We've never lived there, but have lived in many other places and really know what we like (cold weather, mountains) and what we don't like (hot, crowded, buggy places). And now we come to my question: is there a lot of pushy insect life in Vermont?

I ask this question because we've made four brief visits and, on each occasion, noticed something that we haven't come across in other places (at least, not in places that appeal to us). That is, rooms that we've stayed in in supposedly nice (and definitely not cheap) hotels were full of flies - flies flying around in big clouds, dead flies all over the windowsills, in the sinks, etc. We loved Vermont but hated the flies and have really never seen anything like this - it all but drove us mad, and we felt in need of mosquito netting over our bed as if we were in the tropics or in a barn full of horses. So - what's with the flies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,272,083 times
Yes-bugs. Welcome to Vermont! In spring/early summer come the black flies and right now the deer flies are out in force. Have not seen many mosquitos yet in my neck of the woods.
It's key to have a nice screened in porch so you can enjoy summer evenings "outside".

Old 07-12-2010, 03:31 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,691 times
Sounds like the Vermont state bird, the Cluster Fly.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:39 PM

118 posts, read 285,015 times
Sounds like angelo129 had a run in with Cluster Flies. They're similar to ordinary house flies but when the temp is right hatch in large batches often by the thousands. Ive seen houses like what you describe with the floors covered with dead flies. I'm told this is only a problem with older houses that aren't sealed well. The flies lay eggs under the clap-boards or under wood siding and when the larva hatch they move inside rather than outside and like magic the house is full of flies even though all the windows and doors are shut tight.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:02 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,889 times
It's definitely buggy, but I've never experienced what you suggest with the bugs all over the rooms like that. This is after staying in 3 separate places last week and 2 summers ago in another place. It was buggy outside, but they're closed out pretty easily.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:31 PM

190 posts, read 652,753 times
There used to be a board about this that stretched on for quite a few pages, but I'm afraid it's no longer active and I couldn't find it. Yep, everyone is right, we get lots of bugs. In my neck of the woods we used to get AWFUL mosquitoes, to the point where you would go outside for a couple minutes and get about 20 bites. I don't think that's typical of all of Vermont though- Brandon is in a swamp.

We get flies too of course- the horse and deer flies are the worse. But we get nice bugs too! I like seeing the millipedes (arachnids I think, technically, but close enough), the dragonflies, and the caterpillars/butterflies.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonr View Post
There used to be a board about this that stretched on for quite a few pages, but I'm afraid it's no longer active and I couldn't find it. Yep, everyone is right, we get lots of bugs. In my neck of the woods we used to get AWFUL mosquitoes, to the point where you would go outside for a couple minutes and get about 20 bites. I don't think that's typical of all of Vermont though- Brandon is in a swamp.

We get flies too of course- the horse and deer flies are the worse. But we get nice bugs too! I like seeing the millipedes (arachnids I think, technically, but close enough), the dragonflies, and the caterpillars/butterflies.
If I'm not mistaken, Brandon was hit hard when the west nile virus showed up (hit hard as in lots of mosquitoes carrying it compared to some other parts of VT). I've never experienced bugs like Brandon elsewhere. In one night of camping there once I had dozens and dozens of bites, and I was using spray and a mosquito net on my head. It is swampy though, Brandon Swamp is good for the wildlife, not so good for people sensitive to bugs...beautiful area for those who can appreciate the swampy side of Nature.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:32 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,691 times
The mosquitoes are predicted to be awful this year due to the declining bat population.
Cluster flies are common in most areas of the state. As mentioned they tend to be found in older homes. Once you experience cluster flies, you will never forget cluster flies.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:41 AM

400 posts, read 849,956 times
Bang! said it more or less, the building are often old and full of cluster flies. Even newer houses get them though sometimes. Cluster flies are gross, but they're usually half brain dead and easy enough to suck up with a vacume cleaner.

The deer flies have never been worse in my lifetime than this year. Now that the heatwave has settled down I'm trying to do some yard work and they attack me the entire time. I go to get the mail, and 3 buzz around me trying to bite. And for anyone who's ever been bitten by a deer fly, you'll know it...they draw blood.

Vermont bugs are the main reason I wear pants year round. And they make you long for winter sometimes. I was thinking last night that I might get some of that netting you hang over a hat to cover your face.

I tried a new technique for defeating the deer flies last night, that I heard about at work. I covered a baseball cap with duct tape, sticky side up. It was disgustingly effective. I don't think it even consistently caught them, but their so blood thirsty they'll land on it over and over again until it gets them.

My other arch nemesis are carpenter ants, I wage war with them every summer and its a constant battle to just hold the line. If I could, I'd make their whole species go extinct.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:01 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo129 View Post
Ok, Vermonters, I know this will probably get a laugh but we'd really like to know the answer.

My husband and I are considering an opportunity in Vermont. We've never lived there, but have lived in many other places and really know what we like (cold weather, mountains) and what we don't like (hot, crowded, buggy places). And now we come to my question: is there a lot of pushy insect life in Vermont?

I ask this question because we've made four brief visits and, on each occasion, noticed something that we haven't come across in other places (at least, not in places that appeal to us). That is, rooms that we've stayed in in supposedly nice (and definitely not cheap) hotels were full of flies - flies flying around in big clouds, dead flies all over the windowsills, in the sinks, etc. We loved Vermont but hated the flies and have really never seen anything like this - it all but drove us mad, and we felt in need of mosquito netting over our bed as if we were in the tropics or in a barn full of horses. So - what's with the flies?
I'm dealing with this now. We get deer-flies two months a year and they are bad for one month. The past
two weeks have been brutal and they won't be gone until the beginning of August. We have no problem with them in the house though, or even on our front porch, They don't like cover.

However, there are many properties in town that get nothing but mosquitoes. It all depends on your property-is it near running water, standing water, animals.

They suck, they are the biggest con of my property. I have an electric racket bug zapper. Still I'd buy my house again in a second.

If this is a concern to you, and I can see why, look for property in June and July and not September and October.

New England and upstate NY are buggy- no question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont