Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:00 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,105,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Umm....no, that isn't your point....you're just repeating your "personal experience" fallacy. To say it once more, some issues are matters of fact some matters of personal taste. "Personal experience" provides little information about factual matters...indeed it generally leads to mistaken conclusions. You know....like how you think Oxnard is diverse when its not...
Um, you are now telling me what is my point? My point is the same as yours. Statistics and on-the-ground familiarity are different.

So what about my challenge for you to "teach" us about Oxnard in more detail? You can't apply your smarts for numerical Census stats to even 10% of Oxnard with some specifics as to neighborhood names and demographics? Maybe that's too much work. Pontificating and nitpicking is easier. Or, maybe you're afraid that my challenge might show even you a different picture of Oxnard than the one you endlessly push about with broad-brush strokes wielded from an ivory tower in the Conejo Valley.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,160,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
My point is the same as yours. Statistics and on-the-ground familiarity are different.
And to say it again, no, its not the same. "On the ground familiarity" is just another way of saying personal experience....personal experience is not a reliable way to determine the truth of general statements. There is no statistics vs "on-the-ground familiarity"....the former provides a reliable way to determine the truth of general statements where as the later does not....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
You can't apply your smarts for numerical Census stats to even 10% of Oxnard with some specifics as to neighborhood names and demographics? Maybe that's too much work. Pontificating and nitpicking is easier. Or, maybe you're afraid that my challenge might show even you a different picture of Oxnard than the one you endlessly push about with broad-brush strokes wielded from an ivory tower in the Conejo Valley.
I really don't know why you're still on this...my comments were regarding Oxnard as a whole not particular neighborhoods. Obviously the population of Oxnard, like any city, is not entirely homogeneous throughout the city. For example, some areas are almost entirely Hispanic even though the city as a whole is 70% Hispanic.

Why would I be afraid of the truth about Oxnard? You are thinking of this in terms of some sort of lame rivalry between cities, but I have no reason to be biased against Oxnard. Oxnard is what it is, namely, a primarily working-class Hispanic city. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, in fact, I wish the city's officials would stop deluding themselves into thinking they are going to make Oxnard something else by supporting developments that nobody needs...

Old 12-15-2011, 10:49 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,270,694 times
I go away for a little birthday cruise to the Bahamas and see you all still at it...

:-)

Next month is 11 years for me in VC and I still have no regrets!

Old 12-16-2011, 03:31 AM

36 posts, read 85,444 times
I've been an Oxnard resident for nearly 40 years and what I like most about this city is 1) Weather, of course; 2) proximity between L.A. and Santa Barbara, and 3) continued growth, albeit at much slower pace now because of a still weak national economy. What I really like is how the City services are performing - from park maintenance to graffiti removal. Now, only if the City can squeeze in the budget to repave more streets, especially mine!

Old 12-16-2011, 10:45 AM

36 posts, read 85,444 times
I'm posting this Oxnard website here as well to show what's going on in our city: Oxnard News
Bookmark it!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:27 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,805,098 times
I wish some of these Oxnard-haters would get a royal kicking by the moderator. You go post negative feedback about Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, or Santa Barbara and people there thinks its a sin, but the butheads here think that rule doesn't apply to Oxnard.

To all the ignorant people who think they can say negative things about Oxnard and other communities with a bunch of working class Hispanics - move out of California you prejudice losers! California was founded by Hispanics and their history is not going anywhere. In my honest opinion, I usually never hear Hispanics knocking Caucasian communities.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
You go post negative feedback about Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, or Santa Barbara and people there thinks its a sin, but the butheads here think that rule doesn't apply to Oxnard.
Umm....who thinks its a sin to say negative things about those cities? People should be able to express their opinion on a city whether its a negative or positive one, that is sorta the point of the forums isn't it?

Quote:
To all the ignorant people who think they can say negative things about Oxnard and other communities with a bunch of working class Hispanics - move out of California you prejudice losers!
So one should move out of California if they want to make factual demographic claims about a city that you are interpreting negatively?

Quote:
California was founded by Hispanics and their history is not going anywhere.
Actually it was founded by Europeans which today's Hispanics originate from....

Old 12-24-2011, 08:55 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,805,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Umm....who thinks its a sin to say negative things about those cities? People should be able to express their opinion on a city whether its a negative or positive one, that is sorta the point of the forums isn't it?
Read the forum rules. Stay on topic to what a thread is about and not flame the topic which is what you are doing.

So one should move out of California if they want to make factual demographic claims about a city that you are interpreting negatively?
No YOU should move out of California if you don't like the fact it's full of Hispanic working class.

Actually it was founded by Europeans which today's Hispanics originate from....
Most Hispanics would could consider Spaniards to be Hispanics. ANd European is not in the same category as Hispanic. Hispanic is an ethnic group while European would be more along the lines of a nationality.
Your comments are not getting you anywhere. Look at how many people don't agree with what you have to say about Oxnard. I counted five.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Your comments are not getting you anywhere. Look at how many people don't agree with what you have to say about Oxnard. I counted five.
Gee and here I thought my comments on the forum were going to win me a Nobel prize! The fact that Oxnard residents disagree with my claims is entirely unsurprising...

Anyhow, when did I say that I don't like Hispanics? I said that Oxnard is a primarily Hispanic working-class community and seeing as I'm not Hispanic nor working-class I just don't fit in there regardless of other attributes the city may have.

European isn't a nationality. Spaniards are Europeans and the term "Hispanic" is used to refer to those of Spanish (and Portuguese) origin in the "new world". It would be more accurate to say that Oxnard is primarily a Mexican working-class community.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:09 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,270,694 times
Back on topic.....what's to like about Oxnard....F Street Christmas Tree Lane...anyone want to go tomorrow? Let's go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County