Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 04:23 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,824,138 times

Advertisements

What part of Oxnard should a prospective home buyer avoid? Conversely where would be the best area besides the beach as we can't afford that! We prefer single family housing but wouuld consider a condo as well; our budget is up to 500K (the cheaper the better of course) Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 04:41 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,986 times
Ventura.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:46 PM

168 posts, read 549,499 times
a lot to choose from in that price range in the county. You can pretty much buy a decent place in city in camarillo, oxnard, or ventura.

I bought a place in oxnard 6 months ago, came out here from Thousand Oaks. Oxnard has been good to me. I'm in North Oxnard in a gated community, nice people in the neighborhood overall. I spoke to a couple families that bought homes in my community. They told me when they were looking for homes in Oxnard they looked at newer homes in North Oxnard near intersection of Gonzalez and Rice/Rose/ Ventura road. They also said they looked at newer homes near the Pacifica High School. Anyway they ended up buying in my community.

When I was looking the homes in Oxnard I didn't want to be in an older areas that looked run down. I used this great tool to determine where I wanted to live:
City Of Oxnard California | Oxnard Police Department

This will give you all crime data in all Neighborhoodd of Oxnard on a weekly basis for the last 4 years. I took the time and look at all the data dated back to 2006 to make my decision. My neighborhood had 1 incident in 4 years which is some one didn't lock their car and something was taken from the vehicle.

As you look at the crime map over the course of 4 years you will gain a great deal of details of what each neighborhood is all about. Anyway good luck with your search, 500K will definitely land you in a good neighborhood no matter what city you buy. We have a couple of members on this board Charles and Soo2beinSuprise will probably chime in and help you out.

Hopefully someone else can give you some tips about Ventura and Camarillo.

I saw your other post about you and your wife are coming from Beijing. There are decent population of Asian in Ventura County. If you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask.

Last edited by 24hr7; 06-14-2010 at 06:54 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 07:19 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,092,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Ventura.
You stole my line!

Anyhow prices in Oxnard and Ventura are still pretty high, I would rent.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:32 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,148,155 times
Do you want a young hip area or a quiet family area? Near the beach or harbor? Near a park? Near schools? Any particular employment you wish to be near?

Last edited by DowntownVentura; 06-14-2010 at 07:40 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 09:54 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
I like the area north of Vineyard and East of Ventura Road. You should be able to get a nice home in the $400,000 range. I have seen a few in the $380 range. River Ridge is nice. You may be able to find something there. Several friends and co workers live at Victoria Estates and although it is very nice it may still be out of your range. Not sure on how far it dropped. Both Victoria Estates and River Ridge are on the River Ridge Golf Course. Another area to consider is Sea Ridge near River Ridge.

Getting closer to the North East side near Gonzales and Oxnard Blvd you will find a lot of homes near Pacifica High School for sale. Many of those have small lots though. I saw one recently that was listed for $296,000 was a 5 bed 3 bath with a pool and jacuzi all on a 4,800 square foot lot.

If you don't mind older homes built in the 1970's you can find plenty on the north side for around $300,000 and less. These are smaller homes usually 3 bed 2 bath 1,350 square feet on 6,000 square foot lots. I prefer the North side to anything else.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:09 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,824,138 times
Thank you everyone for the really informative responses. As this would be our retirement home we would opt for a quieter area and being near the beach (and may be out of our range anyway) isn't really important. I wouldn't be worried about being near employment opportunities either. I like the idea of the older homes but my wife is much more interested in something newer so that will guide us as well. I'll be studying the crime map links too and will stay away from the airport. It's basically coming down to Oxnard or St. George UT as we ruled out Palmdale/Lancaster. Oxnard has the nicer weather but St. George has great home buys so time will tell.
Thanks again!

Old 06-15-2010, 10:09 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,986 times
Maybe you can get a good deal from oh eve;
Quote:
oh-eve
befriend
139 posts, read 47,092 times

Please calm me down
Hi there,

I just bought a house in an area which is not so great, but the cul-de-sac looked quiet. I was stupid and blinded by the house, ignoring the neighborhood . My husband did not say anything either. We noticed that the glass entrance door is very old and easy to break in, through the glass or just with a credit card. We took that as a sign, that it is a save area and people are not worried about break-ins.

We closed last week and started the renovations. I opened my eyes to the neighborhood.

The house next door with the thick curtains half ripped off still has the christmas lights on the house.

The house 2 doors further has alot of people living in there (Mexicans), who park 6 cars around the house and in front of our house. The guys are wearing undershirts all the time. Yesterday their pitbulls escaped and chased kids on bikes. The owners yelled them back right before they reached the screaming kids.

We installed an alarm system. We have a gun. I know how to use it. We have a big dog (not very scary looking though). My husband is getting deployed to Afghanistan in August for 7 months. He told me not to walk the dog at night. Ever.

The crime report is ok for our little cul-de-sac and the 2 streets around that.

Please, people, tell me that I am overreacting. I am paranoid and scared. I need some positive input. I come from Germany, where I walked to the club in my miniskirt in the middle of the night and did not feel scared at all.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:04 PM

168 posts, read 549,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Maybe you can get a good deal from oh eve;
Oh-eve should have done her homework before buying in that neighborhood. I remember when I bought my house I drove through the areas 3 times a day for like a week including 2am in the morning. I walked around checked out my neighbors and talked to some of them.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
I am a North Side guy and we love it there. Both my wife and I run in the evening and morning and always feel safe. I have never had a problem with her or are older kids out running. Some of our kids run competatively so it is a family thing for us. We also know our neighborhood very well. I also know of areas of Oxnard that are not as safe. This is a large place, maybe not by LA standards but compared to most of the nation a city of 200,000 is large. In the north side you seldom would have people parking in front of your home. Not so in all neighborhoods. Many older neighborhoods seem to have an overabundance of people and cars lining the streets. I couldn't tell you that nothing bad happens in Oxnard. I can tell you that most of the bas stuff seems to be concentrated in some parts of the city. Other parts of the city seem to be lacking the bad element that exists or that is spoken about and written about within these threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County