Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:11 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,839,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
Back on topic.....what's to like about Oxnard....F Street Christmas Tree Lane...anyone want to go tomorrow? Let's go!
I miss living in that area. I hate where my parents live right now. My parents even refuse to drive anywhere near a city of 50,000 population or more. All of my relatives live there, so I take it upon myself to go visit them.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:14 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,125,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
And to say it again, no, its not the same. "On the ground familiarity" is just another way of saying personal experience....personal experience is not a reliable way to determine the truth of general statements. There is no statistics vs "on-the-ground familiarity"....the former provides a reliable way to determine the truth of general statements where as the later does not....

I really don't know why you're still on this...my comments were regarding Oxnard as a whole not particular neighborhoods. Obviously the population of Oxnard, like any city, is not entirely homogeneous throughout the city. For example, some areas are almost entirely Hispanic even though the city as a whole is 70% Hispanic.

Why would I be afraid of the truth about Oxnard? You are thinking of this in terms of some sort of lame rivalry between cities, but I have no reason to be biased against Oxnard. Oxnard is what it is, namely, a primarily working-class Hispanic city. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, in fact, I wish the city's officials would stop deluding themselves into thinking they are going to make Oxnard something else by supporting developments that nobody needs...
The topic of the thread is "What's to like about Oxnard?" Which to me -- and I suspect most rational-minded people -- could mean that the responses might be a mix of opinion, personal experience, statistical facts and broad overviews and very specific "street-by-street" knowledge. No one trumps any other. Your stats, broad overview and general opinion, surly as it is, do not trump anyone else's on this board, nor the other way around. We all bring something to the conversation. But be patient with yourself. When you grow up, mature and are more seasoned with people and life you might understand this.

But anyway, cities evolve and change. I remember when Gilroy was "a primarily working-class Hispanic city" and now it's a chic outpost of Cuperino.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I go away for a little birthday cruise to the Bahamas and see you all still at it...

:-)

Next month is 11 years for me in VC and I still have no regrets!
Hahaha! Yep, and still going, though I feel a new-year's resolution coming on! Happy Anniversary!

Old 12-27-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Back on topic.....what's to like about Oxnard....F Street Christmas Tree Lane...anyone want to go tomorrow? Let's go!
Am reading this a couple of days late. Did you go? We walked both F and G streets about a week ago.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:49 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,223,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Your stats, broad overview and general opinion, surly as it is, do not trump anyone else's on this board, nor the other way around. We all bring something to the conversation. But be patient with yourself. When you grow up, mature and are more seasoned with people and life you might understand this.
Unfortunately reality doesn't work the way you want. One can't reliably draw general conclusion from personal experience, hence a proper statistical analysis will indeed "trump" such experience.

The only way I'd understand "this" is if I received a lobotomy...

And yes, cities evolve over time, for example Oxnard over time has evolved into a primarily Hispanic city. Now, will it be such in 50 years? Who knows.....but I'd imagine most of us will be dead by then anyways.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Unfortunately reality doesn't work the way you want. One can't reliably draw general conclusion from personal experience, hence a proper statistical analysis will indeed "trump" such experience.

The only way I'd understand "this" is if I received a lobotomy...

And yes, cities evolve over time, for example Oxnard over time has evolved into a primarily Hispanic city. Now, will it be such in 50 years? Who knows.....but I'd imagine most of us will be dead by then anyways.
Question is: "What's to like about Oxnard?" You still don't get that!

Old 01-04-2012, 02:41 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,223,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Question is: "What's to like about Oxnard?" You still don't get that!
Still don't get what? I answered that question long ago, namely, not much.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:33 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,562,662 times
Must be something to like about Oxnard. You seem to put a lot of effort into this post. Why spend so much time on telling the same thing?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:12 PM

89 posts, read 423,007 times
I think it is a case of the dreaded "have the last word syndrome"

Old 01-05-2012, 06:58 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,839,252 times
user_id is an example of why I am leaving my current area. This mentality of I can't live around poor-working class people because of the problems they bring.

This world would be better off if we stopped segregation like that. The current college I am going to has a large White population and also a large wealthy student population, and does very little to help struggling students and the students there even look down on struggling students.

When we learn to forget about picking out our friends and neighbors and focus on the bright side of our communities like Oxnard's beach, fine shopping and dining, downtown with night entertainment, and a bunch of year-round community events then this world will start getting better.

Unfortunately the world will never work like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County