Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 10:32 AM

5 posts, read 23,090 times

Advertisements

We want to move to the Park City area. We want to eventually build a home in there, but the land is very expensive. We saw an area nearby called Coalville or Wanship and were wondering if anyone can tell us what that area is like. We have never heard of it before and it looks like it's close to Park City. There is some land there that looks reasonably priced, so we are curious about the area. We will eventually plan a trip out there to take a look, but we're trying to narrow down our search. If anyone has any thoughts or experiences with this area, we would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:39 PM

835 posts, read 2,077,371 times
Hey SP, I have not lived in Coalville or Wanship but I did live in Park City for 15 years. I know several people that live in Wanship and a few that live in Coalville. They all wanted to be in PC but the problem you see with affordability is what they saw/see even to this day. PC is pretty liberal for Utah and Coalville and Wanship are very conservative when it comes to religion, politics etc.. When we moved to PC, we felt that Wanship, Coalville, Kamas, Heber and Midway were much more beautiful than PC but they all added at least another 25-30 minutes to Mr's commute and that was a deal breaker.
Not sure where you are moving from but maybe check into Midway, Kamas or Heber City too....

Old 05-29-2012, 08:12 AM

Hi Skibarbie, thanks for your reply. We are moving from southern CA. We want fewer people and more of the outdoors. We telecommute, so a daily commute drive is not an issue. We have been to Park City several times, and at various times of the year. We absolutely love it. The people are friendly, the air is clear, but it's just really expensive.

DH used to be an architect and wants to build his dream home when we move. We're looking for something pretty, maybe a mountain view, if possible , with some wildlife, still close to Park City, but less expensive than living right in Park City. I'll explore all of those areas that you mentioned. Thanks!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,763,030 times
Ahh telecommute what a dream. Sounds like you'll do just fine in the Coalville/Wanship area then. I always loved seeing those gently flowing streams, the cows wandering, the peace and quiet. These days a lot LESS of that to be found in Park City unless you just bought a bank. Indeed I think you'll do fine there. Don't think you'll have to be concerned about the arsenic and lead levels in the water as much as Park City has been lately

Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 AM

Thanks dcisive. Our realtor recommended the Tollgate Canyon/Forest Meadows Ranch area. We are planning a trip this summer to look at several places, but this area does look interesting.

Odd though, that some of the listings for properties off of Tollgate Canyon say that they're in Coalville, some say they're in Wanship some say they're in Park City. So where is it really?? It looks like it's not too far from Park City, but the land is more affordable and some lots have, trees, mountain views and are buildable. Either way, the photos we've seen of the area look beautiful.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:49 AM

It's closer to Wanship than Coalville but it's kinda hard to tell where Coalville begin as and Wanship ends if you are on I80. I think you have to pick up your mail in Coalville and it used to be no UPS/FEDEX but that may have changed.
I would not want to live up in the Tollgate area for a few reasons but I have 2 friends that enjoy it. It's way to isolated for me and I don't want to have to snowmobile in and out. Some of the lower areas are plowed by a private company-home owners pay yearly fee-but there is still areas that are not year round and not plowed at all. It used to be a "summer only" area but some of the more adventurous typed started to snowmobile/snowcat in and out, haul drinking water, chop firewood etc. That may have been fun when I was in my 20's but no thanks now. The area also requires chains, snowtires and 4WD. That's not such a big deal as BCC, LCC and several times Parleys require all of those things too.
I hear rumors of the HOA group wanting to form a SSD and have the lower area paved which would bring a hefty assessment to property owners.
Check it out when you come for a visit but dig really deep about what's really going on up there and I wouldn't just take a realtors word for it. Not saying realtors aren't honest but since you are new to the area, dig deep on the due diligence..

Old 06-05-2012, 05:41 PM

Thanks skibarbie. Our realtor told us about some of the things you mentioned. She said that they do have water, though, so I'm not sure why some people haul it in. I grew up in the mountains years ago, so I'm not concerned about chains or 4WD. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea , but we actually do want to live more remotely...and still be somewhat close to Park City.

There's a parcel off of Tollgate Canyon that we are planning to look at when we visit that is accessible year-round. I appreciate your advice to dig deeper. We are trying to do a lot of research and will be spending considerable time looking around before we commit to an area.

On a side note...what are BCC and LCC? I googled 'Parleys' and found out where that is. Sorry, but I haven't ventured too far from Park City proper on our visits, so I'm not that familiar with areas outside of Park City.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 PM

BCC and LCC are the 2 major ski canyons here on the Wasatch Front and Parleys is the route that I80 traverses between SLC and Park City. All the years I lived in PC, I never had AWD or 4WD. I was shocked when we moved to the valley that in order to ski the "front side" I needed all of the above! We live on the east bench and 80% of the winter, there is more snow at my house here than the old place in PC. I was hoping to divorce my snowblower, not buy a new one....
In 92, there was no "year round" water in Tollgate and that's when a friend of mine would stop by for a hot shower..
Has your realtor talked/shown you the Stagecoach area above Glenwild? If not check that out too. Another area with fantastic views is Silver Summit...I would also investigate Francis, Peoa and Woodland. Summit County is a pain in the rear for building and that's one reason that checking into areas in Wasatch County would be worth the time....

Old 06-06-2012, 09:37 AM

Thanks for all of the info! It's been very helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: