Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Which works in Park Slope since it's sitting on top of excellent transit so the fact that people spend 30 minutes driving around looking for street parking and buy parking spots for $80,000 and $240/mo isn't as horrendous as it might sound. It's not like you HAVE to.

Now, since we can just put Park Slopes anywhere, let's see how it works in a cornfield in Kansas where there's no transit. Since Park Slopes doesn't really have many jobs (it's mostly a bedroom community for Manhattan; most bedroom communities have restaurants and shopping too), most of the people living in Park Slopes, Kansas, are going to need to drive to get to work outside of their bedroom community. That's the faced by most New Urbanist developments. People do actually leave the neighborhood, so if you put it in an area where 90% of people drive, you're still going to have 90% of people driving. If you put it in an area where 100% drive, you're still going to have 100% driving. Neighborhoods don't exist in isolation.

You can either realize that just because Park Slopes works NYC doesn't mean it would work in a cornfield in Kansas or you can pretend that location doesn't matter and it would work because people will just use transporters or something to get around in the area outside of their immediate neighborhood or just never have to leave. I know that's not the ridiculous point you made, but the point was raised.
So you go from one extreme to another to try to prove a point? The cornfields of Kansas could support the work demand of Park Slope therefore businesses would need to be built and then it would no longer be the cornfields of Kansas, it would be a densely populated city that takes up a small amount of land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you go from one extreme to another to try to prove a point? The cornfields of Kansas could support the work demand of Park Slope therefore businesses would need to be built and then it would no longer be the cornfields of Kansas, it would be a densely populated city that takes up a small amount of land.
Please elaborate.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please elaborate.
Typo, that should be couldn't.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:56 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,024 times
Quote:
Again you missed the point, based off how you talk about these cities you consider them unsafe. I would probably consider them unsafe though I don't know much about any of those cities specifically. But what you consider unsafe might be what I consider safe therefore it is unmeasurable. But we could look at crime statistics and see which areas have more or less chance for crime.
So in your opinion, you cannot gauge how safe a given street, city or suburb is to your personal health without seeing (reported) crime statistics for that specific area?

It would appear you are being purposely obtuse for no good reason.

On another note, I have no idea why you are participating in this thread, seeing how your logic seems to dictate that you would be unable to label an given area a "ghetto" without knowing what everyone on City Data would consider a "ghetto" to begin with.

Welcome to Circular Logic 101.

Quote:
No, all you have proven is there is less chance for crime in the suburbs over major metropolitan centers. You cannot measure what is safe and unsafe.
So again, you couldn't tell me if the slums of Lagos, Nigeria are safe or not without personally knowing what my definition of "safe" would be?

Good luck with that. I guess some people simply lack any form of "street smarts".

Old 09-21-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
So in your opinion, you cannot gauge how safe a given street, city or suburb is to your personal health without seeing (reported) crime statistics for that specific area?

It would appear you are being purposely obtuse for no good reason.

On another note, I have no idea why you are participating in this thread, seeing how your logic seems to dictate that you would be unable to label an given area a "ghetto" without knowing what everyone on City Data would consider a "ghetto" to begin with.

Welcome to Circular Logic 101.

So again, you couldn't tell me if the slums of Lagos, Nigeria are safe or not without personally knowing what my definition of "safe" would be?

Good luck with that. I guess some people simply lack any form of "street smarts".
No, but I can tell you what is dangerous based off crime statistics. I can also tell you where I personally feel safe and don't feel safe because safe is a subjective term.

I also can discuss what is and isn't a ghetto based on poverty levels and crime statistics, as well as tell you where you have a higher probability of being involved in a crime as much as I can tell you where it is least likely to happen.

Sorry you can't comprehend that the word safe is a subjective word.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:10 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Then you should safe I feel safe in most of Chicago because I have a very high threshold of danger rather than most of Chicago is as safe as any suburb.

Safe isn't a subjective word. It depends upon how you use it in a sentence.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Then you should safe I feel safe in most of Chicago because I have a very high threshold of danger rather than most of Chicago is as safe as any suburb.

Safe isn't a subjective word. It depends upon how you use it in a sentence.
You said you have a high threshold for danger, yet don't understand that safe is a subjective term? Do all people have the same threshold as you?

Old 09-21-2013, 09:37 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Of course I don't. The word isn't subjective.

"Most of Chicago is as as safe as any suburb" is not subjective. It's just factually wrong. Even though it's not as safe as any suburb doesn't mean you might not feel safe there.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Of course I don't. The word isn't subjective.

"Most of Chicago is as as safe as any suburb" is not subjective. It's just factually wrong. Even though it's not as safe as any suburb doesn't mean you might not feel safe there.
It isn't factually wrong, you just took it wrong.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
It isn't factually wrong, you just took it wrong.
I'm not really following your logic, either. Some places have a higher crime rate than other, therefore some places are less safe than others. If someone doesn't perceive the safety difference, that's certainly possible, it also means their perception is wrong, or at least not useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning