Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 05:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times

Advertisements

Not anything new and exactly what happened to urban neighborhoods. As people move on and lower economic level moves in the neighborhood starts changing. That only increases the people left to consider moving. my wifes neice and husband bought the first home in new addition San Diego about 20years ago. Same thing has happened to many cities .The nice areas are only the central business district and some are vacant once work day is over with. Visit the retirement forum and see what is starting to occur in numbers looking for a more remote area since they no long have to be near work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 06:54 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,104,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Many of the old drawbacks are gone in many neighborhoods. With deindustrialization, they aren't particularly dirty. With gentrification, they aren't particularly crime-ridden.
A friend of mine was living in Toronto's "gentrified" High Park area of Toronto, and had her air conditioner stolen right out of her window during this summer's heat wave. She moved to "upscale" Guildwood last month, and awoke yesterday to find some cretin had stolen the license plates off her car. She called to police to report the theft and still have not returned her call nor sent an officer over to make a report, and she has no car to drive until they do.

I'm not sure what constitutes a "ghetto" where you come from, but having air conditioning units stolen right out of your window and license plates stolen off your car somewhat fit the criteria of what I would think you would expect in one. Sadly, this happened to my friend in "nice" areas of Toronto, and not in areas one would traditionally associate with ghettoes. Either way, I wouldn't live there if you paid me.

Yep... Big city living certainly has it's benefits.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:22 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
A friend of mine was living in Toronto's "gentrified" High Park area of Toronto, and had her air conditioner stolen right out of her window during this summer's heat wave. She moved to "upscale" Guildwood last month, and awoke yesterday to find some cretin had stolen the license plates off her car. She called to police to report the theft and still have not returned her call nor sent an officer over to make a report, and she has no car to drive until they do.

I'm not sure what constitutes a "ghetto" where you come from, but having air conditioning units stolen right out of your window and license plates stolen off your car somewhat fit the criteria of what I would think you would expect in one. Sadly, this happened to my friend in "nice" areas of Toronto, and not in areas one would traditionally associate with ghettoes. Either way, I wouldn't live there if you paid me.

A buddy of mine had his back window broken and his speakers stolen, and he lived in a typical suburban neighborhood. A string of home break-ins were happening in one neighborhood while everyone was at work because this suburban neighborhood was a ghost town during work hours. Crime can happen anywhere, even safe haven suburbs.

Also, I don't know how they do it in Canada, but in the US if it is a small crime like having a car broken into or something stolen, they take the report over the phone because it would be a waste to have an officer come out so you can tell them the same things you would have told them over the phone.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Also, I don't know how they do it in Canada, but in the US if it is a small crime like having a car broken into or something stolen, they take the report over the phone because it would be a waste to have an officer come out so you can tell them the same things you would have told them over the phone.
The police don't perform even a rudimentary investigation down there? Sounds to me that America has the perfect climate for insurance fraud scams.

My point was these crimes did not happen in Malvern or the Jane/Finch corridor, they happened in areas of Toronto that are supposed to be gentrified, upscale and relatively crime-free. You know, the types of areas that are supposed to make the suburbs look "ghetto" by comparison.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 AM

5,513 posts, read 9,504,069 times
Quote:

My grandparents, who lived in the suburbs, were burglarized. My aunt and uncle, who lived in the suburbs, had their truck stolen right out of their driveway. Another aunt and uncle, who live in a small town/suburb, had a rocking chair stolen right off of their front porch.

Since criminals obviously don't pay attention to municipal boundaries, I think I'll continue living in cities. Personally, I'm willing to trade the perception of safety for the higher quality of life living in a city offers me.

For the record, I was also the victim of a burglary a few years ago. The police showed up within 10 minutes after I called, to take a report. I'd also like to point out that, until a few years ago, when the population dropped below 75k, Youngstown often found its way onto those "most dangerous" cities lists that are so popular on forums like this. One incident in 11 years puts me on par with many of my relatives who live in the suburbs; I'm glad I wasn't scared away by those "most dangerous cities" lists.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
The police don't perform even a rudimentary investigation down there? Sounds to me that America has the perfect climate for insurance fraud scams.

My point was these crimes did not happen in Malvern or the Jane/Finch corridor, they happened in areas of Toronto that are supposed to be gentrified, upscale and relatively crime-free. You know, the types of areas that are supposed to make the suburbs look "ghetto" by comparison.
You have seen how we do our banking, fraud is sort of second nature to many Americans. There is a number of things Canada does much better than the US.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Personally, I'm willing to trade the perception of safety for the higher quality of life living in a city offers me.
Higher quailty of life? In what way? Cities are dirtier, more crowded, more expensive, more polluted, have less green space, worse crime, worse homelessness, worse policing and worse schools.

Not exactly the metrics I would discount when deciding on where to live.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:25 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,847,876 times
Since Section 8, for example, allowed those on assitance to obtain vouchers to live anywhere they choose, I'm sure there has been a proliferation of crime in many suburban settings. There's nothing new about that, as all one has to do is consider the HUD projects built in many suburbs.

Generalities are seldom true, but it is a fact that people take their "issues" with them wherever they happen to land.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 AM

406 posts, read 502,161 times
Quote:
Higher quailty of life? In what way? Cities are dirtier, more crowded, more expensive, more polluted, have less green space, worse crime, worse homelessness, worse policing and worse schools.
I think those are some of possible trade-offs some folks will make so that they can live blocks away from places like this. I'd rather live within an hours drive of something like this and avoid all of the above mentioned possibilities.

Quote:
Not exactly the metrics I would discount when deciding on where to live.
Amen, you and me both.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
I think those are some of possible trade-offs some folks will make so that they can live blocks away from places like this. I'd rather live within an hours drive of something like this and avoid all of the above mentioned possibilities.

Amen, you and me both.
No one is suggesting that the suburbs should look like Park Slope, though the model of what makes Park Slope walkable, bikeable, driveable, and easy to run public transportation makes it a great plan for laying out any neighborhood regardless of density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning