Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 09:14 PM

404 posts, read 585,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
?????????? How'd you figure that one out? Unless it was the LNC Elevator.
Indeed it was. I had a feeling you would post something in Oklahoma, so I googled "LNC Oklahoma" (I hope that's not breaking any unwritten rules). I came up with Altus, Keota, Guthrie, and Chickasha as possible suspects. Keota was too small and Altus was a college town so that just left the latter two.

Anyway, lets see how you guys do with this one:
Attached Thumbnails
The 'Which Skyline Is This' Game-skyline.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 07:52 AM

24,307 posts, read 13,152,190 times
First impression was that it's Soviet-era. It has that clinical, industrial look. Also, low sun angle, winter, looks like a totally miserable place... Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Finland, etc. Closer look: it's deserted. Streets not clear of snow, no cars on the streets, no people, and no supporting infrastructure visible (traffic lights, bus stops, etc). Also, given the cold weather, one might expect to see steam from the stacks in the distance, although that's not always a good clue if the factory or power plant is closed. The sun angle and relative darkness of the picture might lend itself to having some lights on somewhere in the picture, but there's nothing there. It looks like the city is a ghost town, and the only one I can think of is Chernobyl.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:17 AM

404 posts, read 585,722 times
Quote:
First impression was that it's Soviet-era. It has that clinical, industrial look. Also, low sun angle, winter, looks like a totally miserable place... Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Finland, etc. Closer look: it's deserted. Streets not clear of snow, no cars on the streets, no people, and no supporting infrastructure visible (traffic lights, bus stops, etc). Also, given the cold weather, one might expect to see steam from the stacks in the distance, although that's not always a good clue if the factory or power plant is closed. The sun angle and relative darkness of the picture might lend itself to having some lights on somewhere in the picture, but there's nothing there. It looks like the city is a ghost town, and the only one I can think of is Chernobyl.
Extremely good guess. Technically this picture is of Pripyat, but since both cities get grouped together as "Chernobyl" these days, I'll give it to you. You're up!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Never heard of Pripyat until you mentioned it, and I then looked it up. That is the daily new thing learned.

I've run out of Okie cities and towns that have significant vertical development (OKC, Tulsa, Enid, Muskogee, Bartlesville and Chickasha).

Not a well-known city. South of the previous one I posted.
Attached Thumbnails
The 'Which Skyline Is This' Game-sj.jpg  

Old 05-14-2013, 08:41 PM

677 posts, read 852,327 times
So is that the reactor in the distance? That is one spooky picture...what a sad story. My guess for the last skyline is Lubbock, TX.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,531,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stokes View Post
So is that the reactor in the distance? That is one spooky picture...what a sad story. My guess for the last skyline is Lubbock, TX.
I think having just that one guy there makes it even creepier then if there was no one at all.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:16 AM

437 posts, read 925,719 times
Quote:
Never heard of Pripyat until you mentioned it, and I then looked it up. That is the daily new thing learned.

I've run out of Okie cities and towns that have significant vertical development (OKC, Tulsa, Enid, Muskogee, Bartlesville and Chickasha).

Not a well-known city. South of the previous one I posted.

San Angelo. One of my favorite cities and one of Texas' best-kept secrets.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
San Angelo. One of my favorite cities and one of Texas' best-kept secrets.
It is a great small city. It seems like there's not much there, being on the edge of the Caprock and seemingly in the middle of nowhere, but looks are definitely deceiving. Part of my job has involved low-level obstacle surveys for the USAF, and I always stop in San Angelo if I can for fuel and a restroom break; friendly FBO at the airport. San Angelo is also doing well because of the energy boom... these are about 20 miles NW of there.

rr2005, you're up.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 05-16-2013 at 07:21 AM..

Old 05-15-2013, 01:54 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,531,619 times
Quote:
It is a great small city. It seems like there's not much there, being on the edge of the Caprock and seemingly in the middle of nowhere, but looks are definitely deceiving. Part of my job has involved low-level obstacle surveys for the USAF, and I always stop in San Angelo if I can for fuel and a restroom break; friendly FBO at the airport. San Angelo is also doing well because of the energy boom... these are about 20 miles NW of there.

rr2005, you're up.
If he's up, what's with that posted picture? Also, I think a field of windmills is too much of a stretch to call a skyline.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:04 PM

It's not a pic for the city. rr2005 guessed correctly and has the option of posting the next one. This was just a gee whiz look at why San Angelo is booming. Sorry for any confusion, I'll remove it this PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning