Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:45 PM

7,067 posts, read 19,398,279 times

Advertisements

Among the best. PATH subway system, light rail, buses, ferries link Jersey City's neighborhoods, and connect our city with neighboring cities and towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 02:15 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,345,367 times
4 out of 10. San Diego does have some decent light rail and Amtrak service but it covers only a relatively small area and mostly the older parts of town. There is bus service covering other areas but the reality is it isn't very good as it requires lots of transfers and lots of waiting around for buses to get where you want to go. It's cheap but I make enough where I consider it a waste of my time. Now, if they expanded the light rail into the newer (post 1960's) parts of town then I would actually consider riding the trolley to and from work.

I recently took train service to a Padres home game and found it to be fairly convenient but it took a bit longer then I'd like (it took about 40 minutes while driving would have taken about 15-20). I took the Amtrak coaster since the station was close to my house (the Sorrento Valley train station) to a trolley connector and then took the San Diego Trolley directly to Petco Park. It stopped about two blocks short of the baseball stadium but it was an easy walk. Total cost was about $14 each while parking was $35 so we saved about $8. I'm not sure $8 is worth the extra 20 minutes. It was nice to have a few (way over priced) drinks at the ball park though and not worry about driving home.

Last edited by Oerdin; 07-22-2010 at 02:24 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 02:20 AM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,103,792 times
Hmmm... I'd consider Albuquerque to have 3 out of 5. It's bus service covers most of the city, and has pretty alright service. However, most of the outer bus-lines don't run past 6 or 7, and there's no rail transit within the city. It gets a 3 out of 5 because it is convenient if you live near a stop, it doesn't completely leave you stranded, and the train to Santa Fe makes it easy to travel within the region in general without a car.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:28 AM

It's interesting to see how we all have different grading standards. I'm pretty harsh with San Diego because the rail service is limited (I'd never consider getting on a bus) while others are fairly generous with their ratings even for all bus service. I guess we all have our own personal biases.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:44 AM

BTW the one thing the Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) has right in San Diego is they bought state of the art German trains from Siemens. They're much better then the trains from General Motors or other American locomotive producers.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:00 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,579,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
(I'd never consider getting on a bus)
Why not? This is something I hear regularly throughout the country and I'm curious as to why. Anyone else out there anti-bus?

In fact, in Baltimore we're getting an at-grade light rail system on our main east-west route because, we're told, "people" don't like to ride the bus (which means affluent, white people don't like it).

It will be a shorter trip than the current bus route - by about 4 minutes. To me, the million$$$ of dollars being spent to improve service by 4 minutes isn't worth it to cater to those who have some sort of moral dilemma with stepping onto a bus.

That's how it is in my city. I'm curious about the opions of others on this topic.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:42 AM

701 posts, read 1,907,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Why not? This is something I hear regularly throughout the country and I'm curious as to why. Anyone else out there anti-bus?

In fact, in Baltimore we're getting an at-grade light rail system on our main east-west route because, we're told, "people" don't like to ride the bus (which means affluent, white people don't like it).

It will be a shorter trip than the current bus route - by about 4 minutes. To me, the million$$$ of dollars being spent to improve service by 4 minutes isn't worth it to cater to those who have some sort of moral dilemma with stepping onto a bus.

That's how it is in my city. I'm curious about the opions of others on this topic.
It is not about moral dilemma. Buses are slow and infrequent. Here in Toronto we have many buses, but their schedule is so unpredictable. Some buses run every 20 minutes compared with subways 5 minutes maximum. Buses are also subject to traffic condition, which makes them inefficient.

Another reason is that on a very cold day (say -15C), who wants to stand by a bus station waiting for one which God knows when will arrive. Subway/light rails stations are heated at least.

When I consider public transit, I look mostly at rapid metro system. Cities like New York, London and Paris are great examples of excellent public transit.

An indication of great public transit is that when you decide whether to take it or drive to somewhere, the latter simply sounds a stupid idea, and you would never end up thinking "I wish I had used my car!"

Old 07-22-2010, 05:55 AM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,103,792 times
Haha, I guess that winter thing is not really a consideration to us down in New Mexico! Although I have gotten a very light burn from waiting for a bus in the sun! I still enjoy taking the bus over the hassles of traffic. The bus is probably better for my blood pressure.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:11 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,031,230 times
Here in Buxton, Derbyshire, utter crap.

It used to be good until Wanker Beeching axed all the railway connections to London and the midlands etc, leaving the only way to get anywhere else requiring one to go into bloody Manchester. A waste of time if you want to go south or east.

And the coach/bus takes for ever, stopping at every stupid little village on the way, taking about two and a half hours to cover 40-50 miles. Bull.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:33 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,579,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
It is not about moral dilemma. Buses are slow and infrequent. Here in Toronto we have many buses, but their schedule is so unpredictable. Some buses run every 20 minutes compared with subways 5 minutes maximum. Buses are also subject to traffic condition, which makes them inefficient.

Another reason is that on a very cold day (say -15C), who wants to stand by a bus station waiting for one which God knows when will arrive. Subway/light rails stations are heated at least.

When I consider public transit, I look mostly at rapid metro system. Cities like New York, London and Paris are great examples of excellent public transit.

An indication of great public transit is that when you decide whether to take it or drive to somewhere, the latter simply sounds a stupid idea, and you would never end up thinking "I wish I had used my car!"
I get that. Bad bus service puts me into my truck for short trips all the time in this town. Some lines run very well (like the aforementioned east-west route) and I can rely on them. Some are notoriously bad. But these are the things you learn only by becoming a veteran of the system.

However many cities have really made bus transit reliable. When I lived in Seattle I never drove. My truck literally sat for the first month I arrived becuase I didn't need it. This was before they installed their light rail line. Cheap, smart, dependable bus transit. It can be done, but it seems like some places are much further behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning