Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:17 PM

10,225 posts, read 18,016,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
According to the UK government, Geography - UK countries (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/geography/uk_countries.asp - broken link) they are countries. Wheedle that down how you will into classifications of how dependent or independent of countries they are - but they are countries nonetheless.
They are "countries within a country". On a political global scale, they are not countries.

Quote:
Also, as to currency, Scotland does print its own Scottish pounds.
Which is the exact same currency as the GBP, just because it looks different doesn't mean it's a different currency. They are both still Pound Sterling. Have a look on a currency convert chart/tool and you will never see the "Scottish pound", only GBP.

I also can't resist bringing Michael McIntyre into this again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kO9ZNQRm-s

And just to be clear, when he says "We don't need your English bastard money, we're our own country, we'll have our own bloody money", he's making fun of the Scottish, he's not confirming that Scotland is it's own country.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,309 times
Default I agree;

I live in Warwick, Rhode Island. A friend from London sent me a parcel and he addressed it to Warwick, Rhode Island, Massachusetts! I love my friend but Rhode Island is a state in it's own rights. In his defense though, he had never been here.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 AM

250 posts, read 739,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer;12277156[B
]I consider myself Welsh, British [/b]and European. We don't all feel 'non british'. I prefer to be called Welsh though, but thats just because its more accurate.
I feel this way as well ... always have.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:01 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,886,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwyn_7 View Post
I feel this way as well ... always have.
You don't think you're European? I mean we are part of Europe after all (I don't mean the EU btw)

Old 01-04-2010, 11:10 AM

74 posts, read 176,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
uh huh. And when someone says America to you, what country do you think of? Chile? Argentina? Canada?

When someone says anti-American things, who are they talking about?

To be correct, a Yankee is someone from the NE US. The term Yankee or Yank is incorrectly used by the rest of the world. I'm not from the NE but did live near Boston as a child, so I like to use the term Yankee for myself. And I'm American not a United Statesian or whatever stupid alternative term people want to use. I'm also naturalised British.

Actually an American is anyone from the Americas, much as a Europe is someone from Europe. I love it when some Canadian insists he or she is not an American, for I agree, thus he or she is merely a British colonist, and should head back where he or she belongs.

But funny it bothers the Brits to be called this or that when not a one will bat an eye at labeling people in the US Americans while ignoring the rest of the residents of two continents.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:49 PM

114 posts, read 244,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post

Also, as to currency, Scotland does print its own Scottish pounds.

And try spending that it in England - with difficulty, and receiving it in your change - errrr..... maybe not as everyone thinks they won't be able to pass it on or maybe it could be forged - and that's only because we really don't have a clue what a Scottish note should actually look like.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:17 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,321,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Liz View Post
And try spending that it in England - with difficulty, and receiving it in your change - errrr..... maybe not as everyone thinks they won't be able to pass it on or maybe it could be forged - and that's only because we really don't have a clue what a Scottish note should actually look like.
My husband is Scottish and we go up to Scotland frequently. I have never had any problem using leftover Scottish pounds in England.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:33 PM

116 posts, read 256,478 times
Haha It does sound silly but when you live in Brighton (south east coast), Scottish money is a rarity, and could well be faked. I work in a supermarket on the tills, and I've only ever seen it once, and I would not have put my life on it being legal tender...I just have no experience of what it looks like!

Old 01-04-2010, 03:36 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,321,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman13 View Post
Haha It does sound silly but when you live in Brighton (south east coast), Scottish money is a rarity, and could well be faked. I work in a supermarket on the tills, and I've only ever seen it once, and I would not have put my life on it being legal tender...I just have no experience of what it looks like!
And thus that video below is for you LOLOLOL
"I believe you will find this is legal tender"
I used to try to spend it all in Scotland as my mother-in-law had given me horror stories, but the last few times I've gone and brought it back and used it no one has batted an eye (Northamptonshire area).

Old 01-05-2010, 03:45 AM

10,225 posts, read 18,016,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1955 View Post
Actually an American is anyone from the Americas, much as a Europe is someone from Europe.
What do you call a US Citizen then? United Staters? United Statians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom