Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I doubt that people from South America want to be called Americans. They would want to be called Brazilians, Chileans, etc etc. You may have noticed that the term American is very often used with a negative word attached in many parts of the world.
Actually, people from Ecuador like to be considered not only Ecuadorians but also Americans!

Old 01-02-2010, 12:45 PM

615 posts, read 1,693,942 times
[quote=yankinscotland;12263630]
To be correct, a Yankee is someone from the NE US. The term Yankee or Yank is incorrectly used by the rest of the world. I'm not from the NE but did live near Boston as a child, so I like to use the term Yankee for myself. And I'm American not a United Statesian or whatever stupid alternative term people want to use. I'm also naturalised British.[/q

Actually not entirely correct. The term Yankee was originaly coined by the British when the colonies where founded. It was only within the US that the distinction was made between the Yankees of the NE and the rest of the country so to say it is used incorrectly by the rest of the world, isn't quite accurate.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:47 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,324,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I understand what Great Britain/UK is now, but when I didn't, I assumed it was just England and most of the British I met here were English and never corrected me on that.
Only the hyper-sensitive or those with an inferiority complex would get up on their high horse and correct you on such an unimportant point.

After all, most of us wouldn't be expected to know and differentiate between all the nationalities in Yugoslavia, or understand the many linguistic differences within any African country. I try to understand local cultures, but I'm not a walking encyclopedia.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:12 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,381,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Scotland, England, and Wales are not countries - they are principalities of the United Kingdom (or the same as states in the United States). It is the UK that has membership to the United Nations, NATO, has embassies around the world etc etc and elects the British Prime Minister. All issues related to socio economics, politics, and fiscal policy is made in westminster, some of which is devolved to Scottish or Welsh parliaments.

The only confusion on this issue is by members of the british public that do not understand what defines a country or culture relative to international borders.
Scotland and England are countries. Wales is a principality. Scotland's education, health and other systems are totally administered by Scotland.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:27 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
Quote:
Scotland and England are countries. Wales is a principality. Scotland's education, health and other systems are totally administered by Scotland.

No they are not - tell me... what was Scotlands input at the G20 last year? What input did it have at the summit in Copenhegan last month? Where is its nearest embassy? When was the last time the US President met with the a Scottish representative? What is the Scottish currency? Do you have a Scottish passport?

As I already stated - Scotland's power to administer certain policy is granted to it by Westminster (Just like your home state).

Scotland is Not an Independent Country

Old 01-03-2010, 04:39 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Scotland is culturally it's own country... but not politically. However, on the original topic, Amazon are indeed categorizing it incorrectly. Scotland is not a part of England, it's a part of the UK or GB... if the category includes topics on England and Scotland, the category should be named UK or GB, not "England". If Scotland is not a country than equally, neither is England. The country is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" - not Scotland OR England.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:57 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,287,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Scotland, England, and Wales are not countries - they are principalities of the United Kingdom (or the same as states in the United States). It is the UK that has membership to the United Nations, NATO, has embassies around the world etc etc and elects the British Prime Minister. All issues related to socio economics, politics, and fiscal policy is made in westminster, some of which is devolved to Scottish or Welsh parliaments.

The only confusion on this issue is by members of the british public that do not understand what defines a country or culture relative to international borders.
I hesitate to get into this p-ssing match, but there needs to be a bit of balance. Come on Ian: "The same as US states?" No.

According to the UK government, Geography - UK countries (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/geography/uk_countries.asp - broken link) they are countries. Wheedle that down how you will into classifications of how dependent or independent of countries they are - but they are countries nonetheless.

Also, as to currency, Scotland does print its own Scottish pounds.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 01-03-2010 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 01-03-2010, 06:57 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I hesitate to get into this p-ssing match, but there needs to be a bit of balance. Come on Ian: "The same as US states?" No.

According to the UK government, Geography - UK countries (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/geography/uk_countries.asp - broken link) they are countries. Wheedle that down how you will into classifications of how dependent or independent of countries they are - but they are countries nonetheless.

Also, as to currency, Scotland does print its own Scottish pounds.

Explain how it is different to a US state? I would actually argue that the states within the US have even more individuality because they actually govern themeselves to a certain extent. They have to balance a budget, have a governor, a senate, congress, legal system, tax system etc Why is Scotland different? Because people wear kilts, or have a distinguishable accent, or compete against England or Wales at rugby or football???

The bank of Scotland prints 'sterling' by permission of the British government - not a seperate currency. Its not a p-ssing match - it just boggles my mind how ignorant people can be here when venting frustrations at another countries 'lack of knowledge' on the UK but don't even understand their own geographic make-up or relevance.

Last edited by Mag3.14; 01-03-2010 at 07:28 AM..

Old 01-03-2010, 10:45 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,289 times
I consider myself Welsh, British and European. We don't all feel 'non british'. I prefer to be called Welsh though, but thats just because its more accurate.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:04 AM

14 posts, read 41,052 times
Quote:
I know I shouldn't let this bug me as much as it does, but I'm really sick of people and online forums referring to the entire UK or Great Britain as England.

I've been looking at getting a Kindle which I'd have to get through Amazon in the US. Browsing through their selection of books, I discovered in the history section that there is no category for UK or GB. JUST England. Low and behold, where did they put the books on Scotland? In the England category.

I do NOT live in England! I live in Scotland, the UK, Britain, but I do NOT live in England. I don't have anything against England, but get your geography right FFS!

Yea, yea, I shouldn't let it bug me but it does. There is a centuries long rivalry between Scotland and England and when people say stupid things like Scotland being IN England, I get annoyed.
You're right! You shouldn't let it bug you! I lived in Glasgow for a year (2005) and I still laugh over the weather coverage of Scotland: for ENGLAND, there were detailed maps and temperatures per region or city.

For Scotland? One word: FROST!!! Seriously, the entire country of Scotland had the word "Frost" splashed across the map!

I'm too lazy to design a t-shirt with that on it but it still cracks me up!

But, since you're a Yank (as am I) you gotta know this goes world-wide. If you say "I'm from New York", everyone thinks "Manhattan" and if you say "Chicago", everyone thinks "The Projects", no matter what colour you are! Either that, or they go "Bang-Bang", representing Al Capone.

Worry about something else, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom