Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 05:56 PM

13,392 posts, read 45,119,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
We have a day at Cambridge. Has anyone been to the Imperial War Museum in Duxford? I'd love to spend a few hours here.
I have, and I recommend it.
I also recommend all of the previously mentioned museums in London, especially the V&A, Sir John Soanes and the British Museum.
Speaker's Corner at Hyde Park is wonderful free entertainment on Sundays.
Don't forget Shakespeare's Globe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 01:27 AM

38 posts, read 149,850 times
Kensington High Street great for shopping!!!
The London bus tour is worth it for orientation!
Here are a few suggestions:
Get off tube (subway) at Trafalgar Square (have a look at National Gallery there (awsome and free!) also some good pubs and cafes around the square for drink, snack or lunch. Then, walk down Whitehall, past 10 Downing Street and some good architecture.
After 10 minutes you will be faced with Big Ben and Westminster Abbey. Take guided tour of Abbey or Houses of Parliament (I recommend this one) Tours are every 30 minutes, you get into the members chamber and St Stephens hall which is wonderful! The History!!
Then you can walk over Westminster Bridge over the Thames towards the London Eye
(Remember Wordsworth's poem 'Upon Westminster Bridge') One of his best. If you don't know it look it up!
Just before going over the bridge on the opposite side to the parliament buildings there is the entrance to the Embankment. This is where you can get boats up the river to Greenwich-You must do this during your stay!! The river was the lifeblood of the city and you get a great commentary and a real sense of the old London. You will see the
bridges, Tower of London and loads of other landmarks. At Greenwich you will see The Observatory, and great architecture again. Also Sir Francis Chichester's boat that he sailed around the world in 1966! Gypsy Moth 1V. Again some good pubs and restaurants to drink eat and rest within 5 minutes walk. (This is too much to do in one day but just do what you can and pick up where you left off next day)
Also make your way to The Victoria and Albert Museum (The V&A)--My favourite
The Britrish Museum is a must.
Covent garden is good for an hour or two, a bit touristy but some like it.
St Pauls is worth a visit.
Walk through Hyde park and my favourite Regents park!
Go to the Globe theatre on the South bank. It is Elizabethan in design, a replica of what a theatre would have been in Shakesperian times where his plays were performed. You can book to see a play or take a tour. The theatre was restored by Sam Wanemaker an American!
You can get half price West End theatre tickets at a booth in Leicester Square for that days performances.
The Imperial War museum is worth a visit too.
That should keep you going!!!!! You can't DO London in 3 days, not even in 3 weeks but you can get a flavour and resolve to go again.

Last edited by salopian; 04-06-2008 at 02:59 AM..

Old 04-06-2008, 11:10 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,079,478 times
Welcome to Benjamin Franklin House

In the heart of London, just steps from famed Trafalgar Square, is Benjamin Franklin House, the world's only remaining Franklin home. For nearly sixteen years between 1757 and 1775, Dr Benjamin Franklin - scientist, diplomat, philosopher, inventor, Founding Father of the United States and more - lived behind its doors.

It also served as the first ever US Embassy.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:35 PM

720 posts, read 1,410,644 times
Just some advice.....My last BF was from England and his biggest complaint was about all the tourists standing around on the streets looking up at buildings. People trying to get to work and go about their day have to be hassled with the blockage on the sidewalks lol. Maybe a native British reader could confirm this?? LOL

Old 04-08-2008, 03:14 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,239,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie View Post
Just some advice.....My last BF was from England and his biggest complaint was about all the tourists standing around on the streets looking up at buildings. People trying to get to work and go about their day have to be hassled with the blockage on the sidewalks lol. Maybe a native British reader could confirm this?? LOL
I think that's a bit intolerant - we'd probably complain more if the tourism industry dried up! We have quite a lot of tourists here during the summer (well OK nothing like the volume in London) and around Christmas becuse of the market, and I love hearing all the different accents. It makes me quite proud to live here.

The one thing that did annoy me though when I was "living" in a hotel in London, were crowds waiting for coaches to pick them up, clogging up the front doors or the lobby. That mostly happened when I was running late, so I can see how someone would get annoyed if their route was regularly blocked by crowds of people.

I was mostly fairly entertained by people on the tube and on the street though, and I quite liked helping people figure out which line they'd ended up on, or which way round the circle line they were going, especially if they didn't have much English - much more entertaining. ("This here... [points at ground] yellow.... like that" [points at map].... [points at colour on suitcase or rucksack] "Ah!!" "Circle....." [round and round with finger])

I get more annoyed though with staff in supermarkets who seem annoyed when the customers are getting in their way! I feel like saying "you wouldn't have a job if we weren't here, quit the huffing...."

Old 04-15-2008, 01:48 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,931,285 times
Besides all the main stuff already mentioned:

If you're into history you might want to check out the Cabinet War Rooms from WWII and the Battle of Britain or maybe the Greenwich Observatory. There you can stand with one foot on the Eastern Hemisphere and one in the West.

Oh if you go to the Tower of London nearby is the Tower Bridge which has a neat little museum on top wiht a nice view of the city.

the London Eye is impressive but if you are watching your money I would suggest climbing to the top of St. PAul's Cathedral. View isnt quite as good but the Cathedral itself is very interesting and cheaper.

I'd skip Madame Tussauds as it seems like a huge tourist trap.
To be fair I havent been there though....

Old 04-15-2008, 10:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,970,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Madame Tussaud's wax museum, worthy the admission price and the long lines!
If you have a group of 6 or more people I believe they have a special line you can all get in with usually much shorter wait times. (I saw this tip on the Travel Channel. LOL).

Old 04-16-2008, 06:50 AM

267 posts, read 1,289,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie View Post
Happens a lot in my home town (york) but being one of the most popular tourist cities not only in the UK but Europe you get used to it. Felt sorry for a Japanese lady trying to take a picture of the bar walls the oher day from the footpath (sidewalk) in rush hour. Probably should have choosen a better time for the pic!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:44 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by richt71 View Post
Happens a lot in my home town (york) but being one of the most popular tourist cities not only in the UK but Europe you get used to it. Felt sorry for a Japanese lady trying to take a picture of the bar walls the oher day from the footpath (sidewalk) in rush hour. Probably should have choosen a better time for the pic!
Is that Old York, England?

Everyone describes Lincoln as "a bit like York." I'd have to agree really - although it's cheaper to live here!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:46 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I'd skip Madame Tussauds as it seems like a huge tourist trap.
To be fair I havent been there though....
It doesn't seem like the most worthwhile use of time to me. Surely there are enough moving celebrities in the states - why come all this way to see static ones...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom