Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:32 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I don't care whether there is a benefit or not. It is what it is. The UK is 90% metric. There are a few holdovers from Imperial but that is all.
Yeah I get that... Got a British Passport NI number and everything.

What I don't get is the "I don't care whether there is a benefit or not", because normally when systems change there is an actual tangible benefit in this case I don't know of any since standardized units != standardized measures. I know from your previous offerings in other threads you support metrication, so why?

Old 05-21-2013, 03:48 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Yeah I get that... Got a British Passport NI number and everything.

What I don't get is the "I don't care whether there is a benefit or not", because normally when systems change there is an actual tangible benefit in this case I don't know of any since standardized units != standardized measures. I know from your previous offerings in other threads you support metrication, so why?
Britain decided to go metric in 1965. Presumably the government of the time saw benefits in so doing. Progress towards the metric system has been slow but it has happened anyway.

I am comfortable with both the metric and imperial systems. I lived in Britain prior to the decision to go metric and after that decision was taken, I have lived in Switzerland which was fully metric and I currently live in the USA which is a mish-mash of imperial and metric.

You are wrong to think that I am a supporter of the metric system. In reality, I don't care either way. In other words, I am agnostic on the subject. I accept the situation as it is. But I am always amused by the proponents of either system trying to demonstrate how their preference is better to the other and why changing is 'impossible'. Your view of me as a supporter of metrication may stem from being unable to resist winding up certain 'proponents'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 04:26 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
My maths book had miles and km. We only used it to show how worldwide measurements worked. Nobody actually measures in km.
Well, Northern Ireland is at least 20 years behind everywhere else.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:53 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Right... And apparently nobody uses pounds and ounces. Read back a few pages.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:18 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
It would be fine with me if they totally switched to metric, except for a pint of beer. It just doesn't sound right to say you're going for a '.56 litre'!

I could easily get used to whatever my bra and waist size is in cm. Km is easy as well.
We still use pint of beer in Australia, the little glasses have different names in different states. Otherwise, liquid is always measured in millilitres or litres. We commonly buy our milk in 2 litre bottles or cartoons, and everyone knows a soft drink can is 375 ml, it's not so hard to remember. I wouldn't know what a quart was. And what's with British people referring to weights in 'stones'? I had no idea what the heck a stone was until I researched it. Metric is superior because it's consistent, from a nanometre to a kilometre. None of this 1/128 of an inch nonsense you find in America.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:58 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
We still use pint of beer in Australia, the little glasses have different names in different states. Otherwise, liquid is always measured in millilitres or litres. We commonly buy our milk in 2 litre bottles or cartoons, and everyone knows a soft drink can is 375 ml, it's not so hard to remember. I wouldn't know what a quart was. And what's with British people referring to weights in 'stones'? I had no idea what the heck a stone was until I researched it. Metric is superior because it's consistent, from a nanometre to a kilometre. None of this 1/128 of an inch nonsense you find in America.
Don't try bringing logic into this!

Metric is the more logical system, especially if you have been taught it at school.

Goods have to be shown in metric.

However there are many many people who have grown up with the Imperial system and instinctively know what a pound of potatoes, or an eight ounce steak looks like.

Most older people know their weight in stone, and also know that the scales always over reads.

I was trained and worked as a scientist and everything I did at work was done using metric.

As soon as I left work that was left behind and I was, and still am, perfectly happy to think and deal in Imperial.

The biggest challenge anyone would have to overcome trying to make us embrace metric is our sense of history and the romanticism that surrounds the system.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:42 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,200 times
If we start getting into a debate about imperial measurements, we're bound to be here furlong time.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:22 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Don't try bringing logic into this!

Metric is the more logical system, especially if you have been taught it at school.

Goods have to be shown in metric.

However there are many many people who have grown up with the Imperial system and instinctively know what a pound of potatoes, or an eight ounce steak looks like.

Most older people know their weight in stone, and also know that the scales always over reads.

I was trained and worked as a scientist and everything I did at work was done using metric.

As soon as I left work that was left behind and I was, and still am, perfectly happy to think and deal in Imperial.

The biggest challenge anyone would have to overcome trying to make us embrace metric is our sense of history and the romanticism that surrounds the system.
Well, Australia managed fine. Once a new generation is educated in and raised in a metric environment that'll be moot anyway. I think the only imperial measurement I still tend to sometimes use/think in is feet, with regards to height and sometimes length (I use metres moreso), although I'm of course just as able to visualise what 175cm is (my height). Only some old people mention 'miles' in anything but an informal, imprecise fashion (e.g. saying 'it's miles away' or the saying 'a country mile'), I doubt anyone under the age of 65 'thinks' in miles. I know it's tradition, and it might not be essential to change, but for the purposes of consistency with the rest of the world.etc it would be in America and Britain's benefit.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:33 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,200 times
Quote:
Well, Australia managed fine. Once a new generation is educated in and raised in a metric environment that'll be moot anyway. I think the only imperial measurement I still tend to sometimes use/think in is feet, with regards to height and sometimes length (I use metres moreso), although I'm of course just as able to visualise what 175cm is (my height). Only some old people mention 'miles' in anything but an informal, imprecise fashion (e.g. saying 'it's miles away' or the saying 'a country mile'), I doubt anyone under the age of 65 'thinks' in miles. I know it's tradition, and it might not be essential to change, but for the purposes of consistency with the rest of the world.etc it would be in America and Britain's benefit.
Indeed. In their stubborn refusal to modernise, the US and UK have really made a rod for their own backs. Quite what motivates them is difficult to fathom.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:54 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
My sister and I have this stupid ongoing debate about which is more accurate - F or C . She swears that F must be but has no comeback when I ask her why in science and medicine in the US they use C and not F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom