Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,399 times

Advertisements

Dear ALL
I know it may not compareable,but if somebody can help...I put in CA Forum too.
Graduate study in engineerring in Imeorial College London or University of California Sandeigo? Which one you choose.I have to make my mind quickly.

Living Expenses are not important for me and I want to have good time for 3 years...

Nikel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 03:22 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,075,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikel View Post
Dear ALL
Graduate study in engineerring in Imeorial College London or University of California Sandeigo? Which one you choose.I have to make my mind quickly.

Living Expenses are not important for me and I want to have good time for 3 years...

Nikel
Tricky one. Without knowing which college is best for your career, I'd say it depends where you live now and how much change (or not) you want in your life.

I'd go for the chance to live a capital city in Europe, if money were no object. I think you'd get a better 'world view' from there. Fantastic history, museums, other academic institutions of huge merit...

San Diego is lovely but not an international melting-pot like London.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:06 PM

52 posts, read 129,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikel View Post
Dear ALL

Nikel
I would like to Move to London to some day.

Me being a Cali native I can tell about S.D. only.

If you like the Beach with good weather mostly year around and it of Course doesn't snow. They also have Oceanside where the US Marine base is at. the also have Seaworld. L.A has a lot of Attraction/things to do as well. L.A. being A couple hour drive. If you what to mingle with another Language or get to know a little. You can learn Spanish. It also close to Mexico. I'd be careful in T.J. though.

S.D also has some bad sides to. One draw back that London will most like never have is Gangs. Also Cali is expensive to live.

Hope this Little Helps

Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 PM

24 posts, read 151,976 times
Personally if you have the chance to go to london.... Jump on it haha. But I would do a college visit first just to make sure you would fit in. Both are great schools tho.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:14 AM

113 posts, read 1,314,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoMc View Post
I would like to Move to London to some day.

Me being a Cali native I can tell about S.D. only.

If you like the Beach with good weather mostly year around and it of Course doesn't snow. They also have Oceanside where the US Marine base is at. the also have Seaworld. L.A has a lot of Attraction/things to do as well. L.A. being A couple hour drive. If you what to mingle with another Language or get to know a little. You can learn Spanish. It also close to Mexico. I'd be careful in T.J. though.

S.D also has some bad sides to. One draw back that London will most like never have is Gangs. Also Cali is expensive to live.

Hope this Little Helps
Just to clarify there are many gangs in London(about 169 to be exact):

BBC NEWS | England | London | Police identify 169 London gangs

That said, London is a great place to experience as a young adult/student (imho not so great for families)

Old 01-30-2008, 09:27 AM

14 posts, read 43,467 times
International experiece is allways VERY good.
...and yes, London does have gangs. Londonis not all tea drinking and cricket...

Anyhow, I would choose London.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:13 AM

52 posts, read 129,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie&dave View Post
Just to clarify there are many gangs in London(about 169 to be exact):

BBC NEWS | England | London | Police identify 169 London gangs

That said, London is a great place to experience as a young adult/student (imho not so great for families)
Oh, Sorry! Thanks for the response. Are they as bad as US big Cities.
Graffiti every where. Rob old people in mid-day. Gun shots daily.
Getting jump for your snickers. Car Jackings while waiting at a stop light.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:26 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,254,835 times
In terms of crime, London is not even remotely close to that of LA. People here think it is, but it really isn't.

Imperial is a fantastic university, and somewhat cheaper than UCSD. I spent a lot of time around students at UW Madison, and I thought that the college students studied a lot more than here, and also had a great time. The uni sports scene here is nothing compared to American college sports.

Overall, it depends on which country you may wish to work in. The standards in American universities are higher in general than British ones, but not according to British employers

Come over and visit the area, talk to the students. You will get a good 'feel' of where you wish to study.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
The standards in American universities are higher in general than British ones, but not according to British employers
Are you sure? I have studied in both countries. Of course MITwill have higher standards then let's say Coventry University. But then London School of Economics will have higer standards then Radford University in Virginia.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:32 AM

[quote=ian6479;2671759] The uni sports scene here is nothing compared to American college sports.
[quote]

True, but you can check out London Wasps, West Han or Arsenal in London. 1000 % more entertainig than any US uni team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom