Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:54 AM

194 posts, read 491,871 times

Advertisements

Taken from http://www.newsweek.com/id/163450?GT1=43002.

With an average of five pubs going out of business everyday, Britain may soon be without one of its most treasured and frequented places - the village local. If Britain was to become pub-less, would it be the same? Would Britain's culture and social life be the same, improve, or lose a part of it's uniqueness. I think this will be a good discussion. Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Nooooo! Britain would never be the same without it's pubs. It would definitely lose a part of it's unique culture and history. I love the atmosphere of a good pub and I love pub food.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Nooooo! Britain would never be the same without it's pubs. It would definitely lose a part of it's unique culture and history. I love the atmosphere of a good pub and I love pub food.
I totally agree. Pubs are wonderful - especially the really old ones that have fires crackling in the winter and home made food. The kind of ones that have old men sitting on the same stools that they did 40 years previous

Old 10-13-2008, 11:30 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Kinda sad when a country is defined by it's pubs...but I guess we are reaping the rewards with the binge drinking culture we have come to be known for. The landscape of pubs have also changed, one word -Wetherspoons.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:39 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times
Since the smoking ban was introduced, seven pubs In the center of my town have closed.
I'm a non-smoker and thought the ban on smoking would bring the non-smokers back. but It has'nt.
The ban has cost people their jobs, and pubs that have been open for centuries have now closed.
Another victory for the politicly correct.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Kinda sad when a country is defined by it's pubs...but I guess we are reaping the rewards with the binge drinking culture we have come to be known for. The landscape of pubs have also changed, one word -Wetherspoons.
What we have to remember is that traditional pubs aren't about binge-drinking, and pubs (public houses) used to be places where travellers could stop for refreshment and sometimes spend the night. In most traditional pubs you will see many older locals who frequent the pub for company and will drink 1 pint or two over the whole evening. Binge drinking does occur in pubs too, but this is generally amongst the younger crowd who may not be able to get into city-center bars etc. Generally, if people want to binge-drink they will head to a bar (such as Wetherspoons) where they can get offers on doubles and shots. Traditional pubs (not that there are many left) generally serve more as a meeting point for conversation and a quiet night rather than a drunken night on the town, or at least they did last time I went to one...

Old 10-13-2008, 11:59 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times
I live In a seaside town and my pub was THE place for music at the weekends. I know pubs like wetherspoons are taking over but you can understand It when some pubs were charging 3.40 for a pint of stella.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:57 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,046 times
I loved the pubs in London and in rural Britain in general. Without them, I am afraid that the Brits would lose something they can never get back again....National Treasures.

May God save Britain's pubs!!!

Old 10-13-2008, 01:42 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
Living in a rural area, I'm more upset about the government closing post offices, which often leads to the disappearance of the village shop. Several pubs around here have survived by serving food, and keeping a small bar area.

Maybe it's just because I come from a family of drunks, but who wants to return to the days when the bloke gave his wife housekeeping and then went to the pub to spend his wages? Social patterns change. Most men now want to be at home with their families rather than getting pissed in some grubby local; I certainly do.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:39 PM

769 posts, read 2,231,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I know! I don't mean to come off like a self-righteous jerk but........is that all you people do?! I've met seven English girls--count 'em 7--online on Yahoo! games, normally playing pool. We get into conversations and whenever I asked their interests "going to the pub" came up either first or second. I always asked about the theaters, museums, art galleries, etc. and somehow many thought I was a loser because I preferred that over the pub.

And you're right, Raggy dee Ann, the images I see of Britain constantly revolve around the pubs. I try to overlook those images because the media image is a misrepresentation but pub-crawling keeps popping up in news articles, my conversations with Brits (both online and real life), and on this forum.

senoritacharlene says this is romantic in a traditional sense but traditions can and sometimes should die. You shouldn't do everything based on tradition. The typewriter is romantic in a traditional sense, but why use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Since the smoking ban was introduced, seven pubs In the center of my town have closed.
I'm a non-smoker and thought the ban on smoking would bring the non-smokers back. but It has'nt.
The ban has cost people their jobs, and pubs that have been open for centuries have now closed.
Another victory for the politicly correct.
Some English folks who were against the ban were saying it was going to be bad for the U.S. when we started putting it into effect. But over here we don't have a widespread collapsing of the restaurant business in the same way you people have. And, correct me if I'm wrong, neither does France or any other country that has a smoking ban. Doesn't that say something about the pub-culture and you folks are too hung up on the bottle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom