Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:16 PM

20 posts, read 23,507 times

Advertisements

My family and I recently returned to the UK after a 16 year stint of living in the US (Virginia, followed by Florida). Boy, times have sure changed. We are currently staying with my relatives in Luton and even my home town seems to have changed drastically over the last couple of decades. The UK seems more competitive, more dog eat dog and people seem more aggressive (especially on the roads) than I remember. The subculture of "chavs" seems to have grown too as most teenagers I see now look like degenerate chavs, hopeless and aimless. Television is much more raunchy, London has gone from a city with no skyline to a city with a good skyline and people seem more rushed, more rude and what's with the plethora of yuppie flats everywhere? This country has certainly changed a lot from when I left in late 1995. You turn on the radio now and all you hear is crap. A lot of pubs seem to have vanished too, or the existing pubs appear empty, as if pub culture is dying a slow death? Here in Luton, there are a lot more Eastern Europeans than I can ever recall, which is fine. Still, with all that being said, I'm glad to be back. A lot of things are still familiar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 02:28 AM

425 posts, read 653,800 times
I'm an American who's been in the UK almost as long as you've been gone, Spurs, and believe me it works the same the other way. When I go back to the States I'm amazed at what's changed for the worse. The most noticeable thing is that the public infrastructure seems to be coming apart at the seams. The airports, roads and bridges all feel more like Mexico every passing year. It's also really apparent how aggro America has become, especially after 9/11. And let's not get started on the illegals.

So the US and UK are changing in similar ways, it's just less obvious when you're living with it day to day.

But I'm also grateful about a lot of things when I go home. For all the improvements in British food over the past two decades, you still can't get a decent damn fajita in this country. I always look forward to that back in the US. And American beer has made quantum leaps in that time as well. So much so I prefer it to what we have in the UK.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:03 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,970,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeOnYouSpurs View Post
My family and I recently returned to the UK after a 16 year stint of living in the US (Virginia, followed by Florida). Boy, times have sure changed. We are currently staying with my relatives in Luton and even my home town seems to have changed drastically over the last couple of decades. The UK seems more competitive, more dog eat dog and people seem more aggressive (especially on the roads) than I remember. The subculture of "chavs" seems to have grown too as most teenagers I see now look like degenerate chavs, hopeless and aimless. Television is much more raunchy, London has gone from a city with no skyline to a city with a good skyline and people seem more rushed, more rude and what's with the plethora of yuppie flats everywhere? This country has certainly changed a lot from when I left in late 1995. You turn on the radio now and all you hear is crap. A lot of pubs seem to have vanished too, or the existing pubs appear empty, as if pub culture is dying a slow death? Here in Luton, there are a lot more Eastern Europeans than I can ever recall, which is fine. Still, with all that being said, I'm glad to be back. A lot of things are still familiar
Returned to London last year for an extended stay,renting a studio flat in W2,very Central and did notice quite a few changes from 1992,when i last lived in that city.
Firstly,coming from Australia,i have never known London to be so cheap thanks to the low pound and high Aussie dollar in the main.

Secondly, Folk there dress smarter than in former times,when recall reading an article in the late 80s claimind Londoners being the most shoddy dressed folk in Europe(EU) and being on par with still Communist East Europe.
Although London was high up on street cred,something that appeared to me to have declined somewhat,with those young now seemingly preferring a more "straight" look.

Thirdly, London's skyline has indeed become far more attractive and inventive. Full marks there.

Fouthly,Money is far more in evidence,thanks to the financial industry becoming so dominent. Not a feature i like

Fifth, Not sure London is ideally suited for folk of more alternative lifestyles,whom in my time found the freedom of London,allowed individual self expression. Not gone but not as much as before.
.....Seemily become far younger. What ever happened to the over 50s?

Sixth,London has reinvented itself as a cool destination,with cutting edge clubs and the like..and still maintaned itself as a world city.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
I'm an American who's been in the UK almost as long as you've been gone, Spurs, and believe me it works the same the other way. When I go back to the States I'm amazed at what's changed for the worse. The most noticeable thing is that the public infrastructure seems to be coming apart at the seams. The airports, roads and bridges all feel more like Mexico every passing year. It's also really apparent how aggro America has become, especially after 9/11. And let's not get started on the illegals.

So the US and UK are changing in similar ways, it's just less obvious when you're living with it day to day.

But I'm also grateful about a lot of things when I go home. For all the improvements in British food over the past two decades, you still can't get a decent damn fajita in this country. I always look forward to that back in the US. And American beer has made quantum leaps in that time as well. So much so I prefer it to what we have in the UK.
Gotta love both countries though

You and I have much in common. We have lived in both countries and have experienced the good and the bad first hand. I say until you've done what we've done, shut the F up and don't comment on a country you don't understand.

I disagree with you on the beer though, but that's just personal preference.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Returned to London last year for an extended stay,renting a studio flat in W2,very Central and did notice quite a few changes from 1992,when i last lived in that city.
Firstly,coming from Australia,i have never known London to be so cheap thanks to the low pound and high Aussie dollar in the main.

Secondly, Folk there dress smarter than in former times,when recall reading an article in the late 80s claimind Londoners being the most shoddy dressed folk in Europe(EU) and being on par with still Communist East Europe.
Although London was high up on street cred,something that appeared to me to have declined somewhat,with those young now seemingly preferring a more "straight" look.

Thirdly, London's skyline has indeed become far more attractive and inventive. Full marks there.

Fouthly,Money is far more in evidence,thanks to the financial industry becoming so dominent. Not a feature i like

Fifth, Not sure London is ideally suited for folk of more alternative lifestyles,whom in my time found the freedom of London,allowed individual self expression. Not gone but not as much as before.
.....Seemily become far younger. What ever happened to the over 50s?

Sixth,London has reinvented itself as a cool destination,with cutting edge clubs and the like..and still maintaned itself as a world city.
Great analysis! I agree maybe 75%. Where I disagree is that I still think that London allows you to be whatever you want to be. It hasn't lost that weirdness that you can still be a total weirdo and somehow fit in. I do agree that London has become noticeably more "corporate" and has become Europe's New York in many ways, including its rapidly growing skyline that will look absolutely nuts in 5-10 years time. London does seem younger somehow and even more cosmopolitan than I remember it.

Oh and it's freakin' hot here, what's up with the weather in APRIL???

Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Great analysis! I agree maybe 75%. Where I disagree is that I still think that London allows you to be whatever you want to be. It hasn't lost that weirdness that you can still be a total weirdo and somehow fit in. I do agree that London has become noticeably more "corporate" and has become Europe's New York in many ways, including its rapidly growing skyline that will look absolutely nuts in 5-10 years time. London does seem younger somehow and even more cosmopolitan than I remember it.

More than happy for you to disagree with regards to London still being home to weirdness,long mat it remain so,as to my mind that is one of the most positive things about the place.

This is something not really found in Australia....in fact am looking into purchasing a two bedroom there while still possible with the low pound.

Enjoy the heat. How different London is in such conditions.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:20 AM

425 posts, read 653,800 times
Quote:
Gotta love both countries though

You and I have much in common. We have lived in both countries and have experienced the good and the bad first hand. I say until you've done what we've done, shut the F up and don't comment on a country you don't understand.

I disagree with you on the beer though, but that's just personal preference.
Too true, I love both the US and the UK - warts and all.

My beer tastes are what they are, maybe we Americans are bred with an affinity for extremely-hopped brew.

Oh, and I forgot to mention one last thing I miss: the NCAA Basketball Championships. That's one thing I wish Sky Sports would send my way, it just sucks to have to follow my bracket on the Internet.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:

Another thing i noticed was that the centre for action has moved on from West London somewhat.....

What used to be known as Bed Sit Land,around the Earls Court area seemingly has largely been converted back into flats.
Used to be the floatism of the world residing there. A real transient place,even the Aussies have largely deserted.
Actually saw women with strollers suggesting families are reinhabiting.....

Coffee has become more prevellant with so many brand cafes now. Whatever happened to the English preference for a nice cup of tea.

Prices to purchase are so high in what would be by most accounts very down at heel areas....

Old 04-25-2011, 03:40 AM

587 posts, read 1,467,589 times
It's been over 6 years since I returned to the UK from the US after living there for 18 years. Yes it's changed a great deal and one of the marked differences is the choice of restaurants we have and the appreciation of good food. However, a good choice of restaurants is limited to the more genteel areas. Unfortunarely in so many parts of London, all you have a choice of is third rate chines and Indian take-aways, fried chicken and chips (one or more on every block), kebabs shops joints and 3rd rate pizza joints that double as chick and chips shops.

Everyone is a foodie and an expert now, to the point of puke enducing.

Traffic in London is horendous and local government have become legalized organized crime syndicates, who extort money from it's residents, through parking fines and council tax. It's impossible to park anywhere and the cost of driving is like nowhere else I know.

Yes, there are things of the past I miss.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 AM

6 posts, read 9,278 times
We've been gone 6 years, and on many previous visits we couldn't wait to get away again, but we much prefer it to Canada now. I think everywhere's changing, some for better, some for worse. The UK doesn't seem nearly as bad as it did when we left - maybe the 'worst' part was about 6-7 years ago, and it's slowly getting better, but being away longer, it's not as good as when you left, kwim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom