Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:23 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,994,416 times

Advertisements

Considering that it's now been 60 years since Queen Elizabeth II ascended to the throne, I'm sure there have been plenty of changes that the UK has underwent in that said period. However, I'm not sure how much really has changed or hasn't changed considering that I don't live there. Anyone care to enumerate how British society has and has not changed since 1952? Any input on this question will be welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 11:54 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,325,115 times
The lack of deference to, and interest in royalty.

The other changes are probably not much different to your own country.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:43 PM

690 posts, read 1,203,192 times
IMO
1950s were apparently a time of austerity and rationing and gloating over winning the war
1960s were a time of catching up with the Germans and French who had been busily repairing themselves.
1970s were a time of stagnation, a loss of direction.
1980s were a time of renewal (albeit built on shaky foundations, and not much renewal in the north)
1990s were a time of sobriety
2000s were a time of irrational exuberance.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:44 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,947,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
IMO
1950s were apparently a time of austerity and rationing and gloating over winning the war
1960s were a time of catching up with the Germans and French who had been busily repairing themselves.
1970s were a time of stagnation, a loss of direction.
1980s were a time of renewal (albeit built on shaky foundations, and not much renewal in the north)
1990s were a time of sobriety
2000s were a time of irrational exuberance.
Interesting. I never thought of "gloating" as a British trait, but don't knnow much about that period.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:53 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,535,747 times
I think the loss of empire would be a pretty prominent change. I certainly imagine it effected the way some Britains think about the world outside of Europe. Am I mistaken?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 AM

690 posts, read 1,203,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I think the loss of empire would be a pretty prominent change. I certainly imagine it effected the way some Britains think about the world outside of Europe. Am I mistaken?
Certainly not something i can ever recall discussing with parents or even grandparents. Its mainly something that is only referenced in school books or BBC documentaries. I think other countries put much more importance on the British empire than the British themselves.

I think the empire was only really ever relevant to the Landowning extreme upper class who treated the empire simply as an extension of their own private empires in the UK. For everyone else, it was simply a job overseas, like working on an oil rig or being a mercenary, something that just put bread on the table.

The lower classes might have gone to live in US/Canada/Australia/NZ, but that was long ago, long before the 1950s, and i doubt most in the UK today would even realize they were part of the empire.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,404,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The British Empire is only for the history lessons & books now. It has no relevance to people living in the UK of 2012. As LAWS pointed out, it only really affected the upper echelons of society. I think that modern day British people are more concerned with being anti-Brussels, which I am not BTW. We have no desire to "rule" over anyone else.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:26 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,030,076 times
In the '50's Britain was still in a post war state of rationing and rebuilding. People still lived in pretty basic accomodation, tenements were common and even indoor plumbing was a pleasure not everyone enjoyed.
Over time, council housing was built and people moved out of the cities into suburbs, not always a good thing. Industry closed and died, as did the coal mines and the UK moved towards a service and high tech economy. This was a painful transition.
With the EU came greater immigration.
Money rules now, as does consumerism. The high street is shutting down in favor of big box stores.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:33 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,404,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
In the '50's Britain was still in a post war state of rationing and rebuilding. People still lived in pretty basic accomodation, tenements were common and even indoor plumbing was a pleasure not everyone enjoyed.
Over time, council housing was built and people moved out of the cities into suburbs, not always a good thing. Industry closed and died, as did the coal mines and the UK moved towards a service and high tech economy. This was a painful transition.
With the EU came greater immigration.
Money rules now, as does consumerism. The high street is shutting down in favor of big box stores.
I don't think the High Streets will ever die completely. If anything, with rising gas prices, people will want to drive less and out of town shopping will decline, including big box stores (I believe Best Buy's UK expansion was an epic fail). The bonus of High Street shopping is that you are forced to intermingle with people of all races, classes and creeds. You leave your car at home or in a car park and WALK, which is what god gave you legs for (not to operate a brake, clutch and accelerator pedal and sit in a metal container on wheels hopping from box store to box store).

Old 03-08-2012, 08:16 PM

46 posts, read 139,785 times
I agree, I don't think the high street will die off completely, but they have suffered, esp small family business' that can't compete. Most American cities and towns have been developed on a grid system, and around big boxed stores, the UK hasn't, and for many it's just as easy to walk around a high street to shop than driving or bussing it to a shopping center. I've noticed since moving to Southern California from the UK, in 12 years I've never seen a butchers or a proper bakery and come to think about it I've only seen several stores that only sell fruit and veg, of course those business' died off in many places after being replaced by malls, but many cities/communities aren't that old..less than 50 years so never had them in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom