Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,909,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeOnYouSpurs View Post
The UK seems more competitive, more dog eat dog and people seem more aggressive (especially on the roads) than I remember.
LOL that's funny because whenever my US relatives visit here in the UK, they always remark on how "nice" drivers are and let people into traffic when Americans wouldn't.

Quote:
You turn on the radio now and all you hear is crap.
Depends on the station - I love XFM!

Quote:
A lot of pubs seem to have vanished too, or the existing pubs appear empty, as if pub culture is dying a slow death?
There is regular talk about all the pubs closing down - but the good ones are still very active, at least here in Manchester they are. We regularly go to The Didsbury (The Didsbury Home Page - The Didsbury - Good Food & Drink in GREAT Pub!) and they are almost always packed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 02:30 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,247,348 times
Having come back and seen it, would you rather be in the states?

Old 04-26-2011, 02:35 PM

20 posts, read 23,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Having come back and seen it, would you rather be in the states?
No. We're back for good. The US wasn't really my cup of tea, but it was a good experience.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:55 PM

591 posts, read 927,561 times
Pubs dont seem to be the same thing as what they used to be. A place for the working man to meet his mates after a hard days graft for a few pints before heading home. Or to have an old fashioned lock-in.

Now, the best use they get is on Match days for football or Rugby.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:49 PM

6,048 posts, read 5,974,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereamI? View Post
We've been gone 6 years, and on many previous visits we couldn't wait to get away again, but we much prefer it to Canada now. I think everywhere's changing, some for better, some for worse. The UK doesn't seem nearly as bad as it did when we left - maybe the 'worst' part was about 6-7 years ago, and it's slowly getting better, but being away longer, it's not as good as when you left, kwim?
Just out of interest i wonder how you find it getting better?
In my case i have always preferred it to say Australia in most ways apart from the all important financial aspect.
Now with the rapid inflation in prices in Oz and the exchange rate way in our favour,we are considerating rather strongly a return.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 PM

6 posts, read 9,282 times
Maybe it's just a change in perspective? We find that we prefer people in the UK to here, and keep finding more Brits who say the same. There's much less processed food than here, and financially, we'd probably be better off on the whole there than here now, our grocery bills have tripled in 6 years. Education is better in the UK too.

So maybe it hasn't changed as much as we have?

Old 04-28-2011, 06:51 PM

746 posts, read 1,678,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post
It's been over 6 years since I returned to the UK from the US after living there for 18 years. Yes it's changed a great deal and one of the marked differences is the choice of restaurants we have and the appreciation of good food. However, a good choice of restaurants is limited to the more genteel areas. Unfortunarely in so many parts of London, all you have a choice of is third rate chines and Indian take-aways, fried chicken and chips (one or more on every block), kebabs shops joints and 3rd rate pizza joints that double as chick and chips shops.

Everyone is a foodie and an expert now, to the point of puke enducing.

Traffic in London is horendous and local government have become legalized organized crime syndicates, who extort money from it's residents, through parking fines and council tax. It's impossible to park anywhere and the cost of driving is like nowhere else I know.

Yes, there are things of the past I miss.
It's like that in Canada too. Go down the "main drag", and all vietnamese noodle/sub shops, falafel/shawarma shops, and cardboard pizza places.
Most pubs these days are only busy when the hockey is on, and most of the food is all delivered from the same distibution warehouse in town.
sad, really.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:09 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,507,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeOnYouSpurs View Post
My family and I recently returned to the UK after a 16 year stint of living in the US (Virginia, followed by Florida). Boy, times have sure changed. We are currently staying with my relatives in Luton and even my home town seems to have changed drastically over the last couple of decades. The UK seems more competitive, more dog eat dog and people seem more aggressive (especially on the roads) than I remember. The subculture of "chavs" seems to have grown too as most teenagers I see now look like degenerate chavs, hopeless and aimless. Television is much more raunchy, London has gone from a city with no skyline to a city with a good skyline and people seem more rushed, more rude and what's with the plethora of yuppie flats everywhere? This country has certainly changed a lot from when I left in late 1995. You turn on the radio now and all you hear is crap. A lot of pubs seem to have vanished too, or the existing pubs appear empty, as if pub culture is dying a slow death? Here in Luton, there are a lot more Eastern Europeans than I can ever recall, which is fine. Still, with all that being said, I'm glad to be back. A lot of things are still familiar
lol--While you were in the US you should have lived in Atlanta for a while.
This is the sort of thing many relocators say about the ATL.

How's the mass transit system--we go round and round with the increase of crime on MARTA. Hit a high note a few weeks ago and there will be an investigation. TV--socks and bows---that must be true everywhere.

Home is home. If Atlanta only had a beach/ocean I would have no complaints--whatever goes on --no chance of that but the river and mountains aren't far away.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:49 PM

684 posts, read 1,123,433 times
USA is magnificent except for the lack of cricket. Cricket is life.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:30 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,433,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
It's like that in Canada too. Go down the "main drag", and all vietnamese noodle/sub shops, falafel/shawarma shops, and cardboard pizza places.
Most pubs these days are only busy when the hockey is on, and most of the food is all delivered from the same distibution warehouse in town.
sad, really.

Really? Sounds awful.Thank heavens it's not like that where we are in NC. Love it here!
Canada (if you want to be near a decent size city) house prices always seem higher than the US too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom