Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:15 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times

Advertisements

Do you think astrology is true? If you ever had a reading, did it become true? Do you often read the astrology section of web sites /newspapers or sometimes to see what your star predictions are?

Last edited by other99; 02-16-2010 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 11:19 PM

190 posts, read 465,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Do you think astrology is true? If you ever had a reading, did it become true? Do you often read the astrology section of web sites /newspapers or sometimes to see what your star predictions are?
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooo!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:25 AM

310 posts, read 589,399 times
Quote:
Oh it's absolutely true! Why, just last week I sat down with the tooth fairy and she gave me a tarot card reading, and then Santa showed up and read my palms and then the Easter bunny dropped in and did my astrological charts. Later, superman rode in on a flying purple elephant and we played with the ouija board and Al Capone communed with us and told us where he is buried.

Then we all had tea and crumpets with gooseberry jam. Oh yes, it's all true.

Last edited by Balvenie; 02-17-2010 at 08:34 AM..

Old 02-17-2010, 08:38 AM

457 posts, read 756,945 times
Quote:
We often see what we want to see;
I've purposely read the wrong astrology star predictions to someone and their first reply is,"Yeah! that's happening now!"
(Fake- fake- fake fake!)

Old 02-17-2010, 08:41 AM

457 posts, read 756,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
Oh it's absolutely true! Why, just last week I sat down with the tooth fairy and she gave me a tarot card reading, and then Santa showed up and read my palms and then the Easter bunny dropped in and did my astrological charts. Later, superman rode in on a flying purple elephant and we played with the ouija board and Al Capone communed with us and told us where he is buried.

Then we all had tea and crumpets with gooseberry jam. Oh yes, it's all true.
Ya know, if you would have spread some dried pixy dust on the river Styx it would have been faster than waiting for Al's reply.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
I wonder what believers in astrology say if you point out to them that the constellations were only figments of some ancient imaginations (and, judging from the particular arrangements, there had to have been hallucinatory substances involved!) Nobody ever intended for them to be taken as harbingers of the future. We don't even have to get started on the fact that they're not two-dimensional drawings. If you looked at the night sky from another planet, you wouldn't see the same patterns at all.

And, of course, those horoscopes you can find in practically any newspaper are so bland and generalized, it's easy to say, "Whoa! How could they possibly know that?"

Old 02-17-2010, 08:42 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default "You are a kind yet agressive person, and good things will happen to you today!"

The larger issue is how this sort of mass unquestioning belief in the supernatural is so common in so many areas of concern where a more critical assessment would be indicated. Thus, we have religion!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:46 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default no Wait: "You are a mean and insipid person, and will have a bad day!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If you looked at the night sky from another planet, you wouldn't see the same patterns at all.
Now Fred: you KNOW that the daily astrology reports will also be different on the planet Glorgon, don't you? Else my spiritual persona doppelganger there would be clashing with my spiritual personal here. Crunk! Thud!

Astrology "adjusts", don't'cha know.

How could you, being a thinker and all, miss this important point?

Old 02-17-2010, 09:43 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
There are so many problems with astrology it's hard to know where to begin. The basic idea that the positions of planets and other heavenly bodies at the instant of a person's birth somehow influences their personalities for life makes no sense whatsoever. If this were true then we would expect that babies born during a short time period at any major hospital would grow up with certain personality traits in common which of course they don't. Also if these traits could be associated with specific astrological information then a good astrologer should be able to take very detailed information about complete strangers and be able to determine when and where they were born. Some have tried and failed miserably.
Also, when astrology was first concocted many centuries ago and the various signs were established based on the positions of celestial bodies at that time no one realized that our solar system was also slowing shifting it's position in relation to these celestial bodies and today it has shifted so much that those time periods for all of the astrological signs aren't even accurate anymore.
Many people believe that the gravitational forces from celestial bodies affect human beings because they point out that the moon causes changes in the tides. That's only because the oceans are so large that it does have an effect but no one notices tidal changes in their bathtubs or in the human body because we're just too small and the gravitational pull from the moon would actually be less on a human body than the gravitational force from a person walking nearby because every object that has mass exerts a certain amount of gravity which can be measured.
To make a long story short, astrology is nonsense.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:45 AM

731 posts, read 776,318 times
80% of what it says about me is true, there's this site its called astro.com, it could tell you what will happen to you today, tomorrow or what happened yesterday, sometimes it turns out to be true and sometimes its not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal