Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 04:52 PM

933 posts, read 1,477,566 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I was thinking a lot about time travel recently and how time is not linear. When I heard that Daylight Savings was early this morning, I thought about a possible connection to time travel. When we change our clocks forward an hour, aren't we moving into the future an hour? If time was as linear as a lot of people think it is, time couldn't just skip an hour, could it? If humans can control time like this, then does time really have any meaning at all?

What are you all's thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 05:02 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Hello all! I was thinking a lot about time travel recently...
What are you all's thoughts on this?
various but mostly rather shallow
Attached Thumbnails
Time Travel/Daylight Savings-1174560_10152260410574914_215192208_n.jpg  

Old 03-09-2014, 10:43 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
...When we change our clocks forward an hour, aren't we moving into the future an hour?...
You have crossed a time zone before, right?

I have one for you - we all actually live in our pasts. We don't react to or become aware of events until our brains have processed them, so we are only aware of what has passed - not what is happening .

Old 03-09-2014, 11:19 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,822,767 times
.....riiiiight.....

Old 03-09-2014, 11:21 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,822,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post

I have one for you - we all actually live in our pasts. We don't react to or become aware of events until our brains have processed them, so we are only aware of what has passed - not what is happening .
Ha good point.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:49 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post

Great point!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:18 PM

933 posts, read 1,477,566 times
You all are right about the time zones. And can we forget "leap years". All of this leads me to believe that time is a man-made device, and should not be taken as anything more. We are going into the future and the past all of the time, "time traveling" so to speak In reality, there is no such thing as time.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:43 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,121 times
Quote:
You all are right about the time zones. And can we forget "leap years". All of this leads me to believe that time is a man-made device, and should not be taken as anything more. We are going into the future and the past all of the time, "time traveling" so to speak In reality, there is no such thing as time.
It depends on how you define "time". If you mean clock time or calendar time, then yes, it is a system of measurement of events based on cycles that regularly repeat in one way or another. Some examples are the complete rotation of the Earth on its axis, the orbit around the Sun. Lunar phases. However, there are many different scales of time. Otherwise, there's be no way to distinguish the elapsed period between when you were born and now. Actually, leap years are kind of necessary because without such an adjustment, the 365-day year would ultimately become increasingly out of sync in relation to the planet's rotation around the sun which we describe as a calendar year. The 365-day calendar year is not precise, nor is the 24-hour day. But they are handy to use as tools to generally measure that particular cycle.

In a sense, yes, you're quite right, we're all time travelers. Time is integrated with space, if you'd like, a property of space. Nothing in the universe is truly static or motionless. Time differs from the point of the observer. It can be faster or slower. The elapse of time points to, flows or unfolds in the direction of the future. Our view of everything no matter how near or far, is always of past events. That's because it takes time for the photons (light) to reach our eyes and be processed by our brain. In a sense there is now such thing as NOW or the Present, in terms of what we perceive. It takes about 8 minutes for the light from the Sun to reach us. It's then that we consider as the Present, but realistically, it's still a view of past events. We see the sun as it was 8 minutes ago. There really is no present time because to get to the exact moment that separates the past from the future you'd never reach the end because technically the segments would become infinitely smaller.

If there is no such thing as time, please explain why. If we are to assume that to be true, then we could also say there is no such thing as length, width or height.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal