Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:29 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,922,004 times

Advertisements

Many dreams are simply you reliving events in your daily life, sometimes in strange sureal mixes of events. Memory on the other hand is a process of reconstruction - deja vu is simply you reconstructing memories based on certain triggers that remined you of past events. Meeting someone that reminds you of someone else, or going somewhere that reminds you of a place that you have been, doesn't mean that you predicted it, it means that your brain is triggering that "aha" moment of a memory of someone else you met or a place you have been (no, not in a past life, but in everyday ordinary life) that reminds you of the current event. The process of reconstruction. It's the way our brains are mapped.
See now how it fits together? Or if you want you can continue to convince yourself that you are Uri Geller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,457,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Many dreams are simply you reliving events in your daily life, sometimes in strange sureal mixes of events.
Not my dreams.
Quote:
Memory on the other hand is a process of reconstruction - deja vu is simply you reconstructing memories based on certain triggers that remined you of past events.
Memory is one of the least understood aspects of our brain. So to claim that our memory is just a process of reconstruction is not accurate.

After 100 Years, Understanding the Electrical Role of Dendritic Spines | News | McCormick School of Engineering | Northwestern University
Quote:
Meeting someone that reminds you of someone else, or going somewhere that reminds you of a place that you have been, doesn't mean that you predicted it, it means that your brain is triggering that "aha" moment of a memory of someone else you met or a place you have been (no, not in a past life, but in everyday ordinary life) that reminds you of the current event. The process of reconstruction. It's the way our brains are mapped.
Interesting claim since memory is one of the least understood things about the human brain...in fact the human brain is a huge mystery in science. Heck we don't even understand many aspects of dreaming and sleeping much less memory.
Quote:
See now how it fits together? Or if you want you can continue to convince yourself that you are Uri Geller.
No that is not how it fits together.
Human Memory Model

Old 03-03-2013, 08:51 AM

57 posts, read 102,168 times
Yes, but you will also see a lot of fiction in your dreams. The trick is to learn how to distinguish clairvoyant dreams from all the pure dream baloney. And then you also need to have a realistic grasp on the mathematics of probability.

Let's say you dream of seeing a woman in red jacket on the bus. The next day, what are the chances that a woman in a red jacket will be on your bus? Sure, you dreamed "the future", but it is a future that plays out with such frequency or regularity, that dreaming it is meaninglessly coincidental.

Things happen to you every day that are thousand-to-one shots. That happen on only one day in a thousand, and you think nothing of them. Things like dropping a quarter, or hearing Whiter Shade of Pale on the radio or looking at the clock at 11:11 (or 4:07). There would be nothing significant about having had a dream about one of them the night before.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,836,948 times
That is how I termed my Deja Vu (spelled right?). I would have the dream and only remember parts, but in the future I would have the exact experience and would know what has happening next. I have made the same right decision as per the dream experience and always did well. I am waiting for that one where I find a certain get and go store with the sign problem. Then I know I am a multi-millionaire in the next few minutes. Ha, ha.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:39 AM

552 posts, read 721,629 times
Ive been having UFO dreams lately so everyone be on the lookout!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:44 AM

11,157 posts, read 9,789,597 times
I'm not typically a believer in supernatural phenomenon, but dreams are different. I think they are your brain's way of sorting out all the little thoughts and memories and trying to put them into some sort of sense and then filing them away. I have had 2 "dream experiences" that I would consider clairvoyant. Both involved my parents who were divorced when I was a toddler. 12 years ago, just before I was to get up for the day, as I slept I heard a man's voice speak distinctly into my ear. He said "Your mother is dying". I woke immediately and was very unsettled. I actually expected to see a man next to me speaking in my ear. I went about my day, but it was nagging at me, so I called my mom. She said she was having a problem as her leg had "gone dead". I called her doctor and we were to come in right away. It turned out a vein had become blocked in her leg. This eventually led to amputation of the leg 5 days later. She never really recovered and within 3 months she passed away. I was told something that perhaps, deep down inside, I had maybe known all along. But the timing was so strange. I had the dream on the very day her leg vein clotted.
The second dream involved my father, who I never had much of a relationship with because of the divorce. We spent very few visits together in my life, and I always felt he was much closer to my older siblings. He had Alzheimer's and was living in a memory care facility far across the country. I dreamed that my father came to visit me. He drove up in an old car from the fifties and parked at the curb. I walked to the car and he rolled down the window and said "I have so much to tell you, but now there's no time". He rolled up the window and drove slowly away. The next morning I told my husband of the weird dream, and how I thought it so odd, since I rarely thought about my dad at all. Later that week I got a call from my half-brother and he told me that our dad was in kidney failure and was not expected to survive. He passed away 2 days later. I know that there was no reason that I would have had my dad on my mind that night before the dream. His situation, to my knowledge, had not changed in a couple of years, and I hadn't spoken about him or to him or the relatives recently. I do think that there were things he definitely needed to explain to me, but those thoughts were lost years ago to Alzheimer's, and will just always be a mystery to me.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:36 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,069,682 times
Hello OP, not sure if you're reading this thread after all this time. I think this is common. What you should do is write down your dreams daily upon waking. This will help you remember them better and even cause them to be lucid. I'd imagine you could get a lot more info this way.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,069,682 times
I have also found this deja vu stuff to come to me in dreams when I'm going through a lot of stress. , Sounds like for some messages and such become more clear when they meditate or do yoga or relax before bed. I am one of those people who does well under deadline, though. Works different for everyone. Even think I met some sort of spirit guide in a dream when I was particularly stressed. I remember the colorful dream and the things she showed me even though it was 5+ years ago now.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 729 times
i had vision of the future i know what yall are going thru i personally think at some point we need to create a group with others like us

Old 12-09-2014, 04:50 PM

827 posts, read 633,286 times
I had some dreams like this to.

I read some paper that explain that during the sleep. Our brain make some association with situation, feeling or persons we know to get some "new situation" who will be a dream. After when we live a situation who are close to one of this suposition, we beleive it was a premonitory dream.

To be honest i don't really beleive in this explication. During one of my dream, i was walking in a main road i didn't know, a bit drunk during at night with three friends (in dream i don't see their face). But in the moment i made those dream i wasn't know this city and hasn't planify to go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal