Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:15 AM

640 posts, read 1,986,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 195nana View Post
Well yesterday I open my door to my friend ..... We became unemployed the same time at work..... Her last check was last week and her family became homeless yesterday..........every place (social services) we call or visited for help; we receive the same line ( if we help you today how are you going to pay for the next month) .....I had to hold my tongue so bad it's not funny.....unemployment rate here in central florida ranges from 11.2% to 16.9% .....we got a letter from the census; so we decided to give them a call and ask about our job status( we both score 28 out of 28) ....they are not calling anyone as yet

We did find a website that offers free cell phone service and we found a program called homeless prevention program( that pays your rent and utilities for three months)...it will be open to take names on April 1st
kudos to you for being so kind and generous and understanding, when you are in a similar boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 AM

34 posts, read 199,250 times
Razor Rob:
I know this if OFF topic but HAD to give a word of hope to you and your Mom. My longtime friend's father was suffering from liver disease and I told her to have him take MILK THISTLE TABLETS. You can get them at Walmart. They are not very expensive and they REPAIR the liver. Her father lived EIGHT YEARS beyond what they had expected and all of his doctors took the milk thistle to heart and recommended it for their patients thereafter. There are other things that are blood cleansers, like garlic that will help her because they take the burden off the liver by binding to the garlic. I could go on and on and I know a lot of this is whatever her tummy can handle (what she can eat) but do more research on the internet and you will be surprised at what you can find and pick up at your local grocery store.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:08 AM

199 posts, read 404,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
kudos to you for being so kind and generous and understanding, when you are in a similar boat.

THANKS....IT'S SO HARD AND GETTING WORST BY THE SECOND.....I MYSELF TODAY DECIDED TO FILE CHAPTER 7 BECAUSE I SEE NO WAY IN PAYING MY DEBTS RIGHT NOW......I RECEIVE MORE CALLS FROM BILL COLLECTORS THAN I DO FROM EMPLOYERS ASKING ME ABOUT A JOB......I ASK MY HIGHER POWER EVERY DAY AND NIGHT......WHEN IS ENOUGH GOING TO BE IN HIS EYES THAT I CANNOT HANDLE....I HAVE ONE MORE CHECK TO RECEIVE MYSELF AND THEN THAT IS IT FOR ME........I WANT TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL; BUT I HAVE STUDENT LOANS I DID NOT FINISH PAY AS YET....GAS IS NEARLY $3.00 A GALLON AND GOING UP EVERY WEEK IT SEEMS( THEIR IS NO PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION WITHIN 5 MILES OF MY AREA)........I GET UP EVERY MORNING ABOUT 4 AM TO START MY JOB SEARCH THINKING I AM AHEAD OF MY GAME( BUT COME TO REALIZE MANY OTHERS ARE DOING THE SAME).....WENT TO DISNEY WORLD FOR A JOB AND WAS TOLD I AM OVER QUALIFIED FOR THE POSITION MY NEXT STEP IS BECOMING A LAB RAT FOR CLINICAL STUDIES...IT'S NOT A JOB AND NOT GUARANTEED BUT IT WILL PUT INCOME IN MY HOUSEHOLD TO PAY A BILL OR TWO...BUT I AM NOT GIVING UP MY JOB SEARCH ONE BIT OR CALLING MY LOCAL POLITICIANS ASKING FOR HELP

Old 03-11-2010, 10:13 AM

Buy some 20 cent seed packets and start growing herbs and vegetables -soon we will have radishes.
We got VERY lucky and dismantled a beehive (bees had just froze to death due to recent snow storm and the old roof starting to leak) and got 150 lbs of honey/beeswax. You can eat RAW honey with no ill side effects and it provides LOADS of vitamin B's to keep you healthy. We took some of the honey and honeycomb and built a beebox out of scrap wood and are trying to "entice" the local bees so we can have "free" honey in the future.
If you are "OUT WEST"-- dollar stores, like THE 99 CENT ONLY STORE is a haven for fresh produce and refrigerated items - you can eat healthy for $10 a week - no joke.
OUT WEST: it is dry but the temps are very comfortable, depending on your altitude (best between 3,500 to 5,500 feet)
ATTITUDE: It is well documented that your attitude is your key to survival. Yeah, we all go through the downs in this kind of situation and that is completely normal but thus far, a healthy case of denial and a willingness to be frugal and busy has kept my mind off the obvious.
Bananas: cost is only about 20 cents a piece when the price is 49 cents a pound, what a healthy deal!
Potatoes: I buy 5 and 10 lb bags on sale for less than a dollar. If you are homeless, you can "cook" food by building a campfire from rocks and twigs (we do it all the time).
Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc: These kind of charity organizations often have FREE FOOD in their stores (not all do). Our local SA, offers breads and fresh produce, donated to them by all our local grocers.
PREPARE for next time (yes, there will be a next time) and prepare to no longer be in debt (lots of people do this, go look up Countrysidemag.com for details on how people build their own homes, produce their own food, collect rain water from their roofs, build greenhouses to heat their homes, etc. and YES this is the PERFECT time for you to be doing this.
DOLLAR MENU: you can get a lot of nutrition for a buck. McD's has the McDouble and a a parfait (that is yogurt and fruit) both for only a buck.
TRASH DAY: A lot of people throw out perfectly usable items on trash day. I am a natural tinkerer so I find uses for items all the time and I know many of you will too.
LIBRARY: find their books on natural food in your locale, roots, tubers, mushrooms (be careful) can be eaten for free and make a few key photocopies.
MILITARY SURVIVAL BOOK: Often standard issue, gives survival tips for soldiers - this is good stuff.
MAKE A PLAN: And remember life and plans always change, so be flexible with your plan and don't get angry with yourself if your plans have to change.
SIMPLICITY is key (the more complicated things are, the more expensive they become).

Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 AM

GET PAID FOR GIVING BLOOD (really, platelets). I know that in my area (okay, I'm rural and the closest place is in Flagstaff or Vegas but both pay pretty well and sometimes, we are there, so I get money for gas). Typically, these companies pay $25 for the first donation and then something that is a little bit less like $20 each time, it depends on the company and the location. You can donate up to twice a week because they are only taking your platelets. This is tax free money too, do NOT have to claim it on your income taxes. I hope that helps someone a little.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:46 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,741,459 times
I have $4705 in unemployment left. I have money in the bank and $1095 monthly SSDI as well as Medicare A & B. My mom, dad, & aunt still pay the bills; so I'm flourishing well after my benefits run out. I can eat fast food every day and enjoy!

Old 03-11-2010, 12:59 PM

5,346 posts, read 4,045,907 times
Living in a van down by the river!

Old 03-11-2010, 01:04 PM

199 posts, read 404,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I have $4705 in unemployment left. I have money in the bank and $1095 monthly SSDI as well as Medicare A & B. My mom, dad, & aunt still pay the bills; so I'm flourishing well after my benefits run out. I can eat fast food every day and enjoy!
Learn something NEW everyday!

Old 03-11-2010, 01:23 PM

563 posts, read 1,710,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 195nana View Post
Learn something NEW everyday!
That poster likes to brag about how he milks the government and lives a life of ease on his disability/UI checks.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:31 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
That poster likes to brag about how he milks the government and lives a life of ease on his disability/UI checks.
yeah. it got old the 5th time i got to read about those SSDI benefits and how they're used to buy bmx bikes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment