Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:56 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,751,115 times

Advertisements

How Will You Survive When Your Unemployment Benefits Run Out?

I just got my last benefits today after 92 weeks unemployed - benefit money ran out. A year ago after 6 months of unemployment in Houston paying rent I decided to move back home with Parent's to live rent free. Good move as the Houston Job market died. My last few Houston interviews - no hire even though I interviewed well because of hiring freezes when the company just didn't have the budget to hire. So I lived at home and spent my UB on 4 bmx bikes, a Blu Ray player, portable dvd, subwoofer, 25" computer monitor with built in HDtv, etc... the good stuff! And I saved $10,000 of it too!

Well, I survive now because I get $1095 / month SSDI and I have no Health Insurances worries because I got Medicare A & B plus Prescriptions with $5 co pay. Lucky me to be Paranoid Schizophrenic. And I'm lucky to have family to rely on and to inherit a hot $800,000 Wicker Park home (hot neighborhood, they made a movie named Wicker Park).

Now I gotta live through poverty surviving on my SSDI until this economy gets better. At least I can enjoy good fast food and groceries with the amount I get. I'd rather be working though and my last job I made $68,000 / year and I miss that... Could have had a BMW 330 by now... And my dating life is on hold because SSDI won't impress a pretty woman... So life sucks a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:26 PM

348 posts, read 707,265 times
What's your address???? I just figured out how to survive!!!!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:30 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,979,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Lucky me to be Paranoid Schizophrenic. And I'm lucky to have family to rely on and to inherit a hot $800,000 Wicker Park home (hot neighborhood, they made a movie named Wicker Park).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROCKEN IN N.J. View Post
What's your address???? I just figured out how to survive!!!!
Way to trigger the paranoia!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,126,645 times
92 weeks of UE, 4 BMX bikes, and $10k. Life must be rough for you.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:21 PM

418 posts, read 1,382,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
How Will You Survive When Your Unemployment Benefits Run Out?

I just got my last benefits today after 92 weeks unemployed - benefit money ran out. A year ago after 6 months of unemployment in Houston paying rent I decided to move back home with Parent's to live rent free. Good move as the Houston Job market died. My last few Houston interviews - no hire even though I interviewed well because of hiring freezes when the company just didn't have the budget to hire. So I lived at home and spent my UB on 4 bmx bikes, a Blu Ray player, portable dvd, subwoofer, 25" computer monitor with built in HDtv, etc... the good stuff! And I saved $10,000 of it too!

Well, I survive now because I get $1095 / month SSDI and I have no Health Insurances worries because I got Medicare A & B plus Prescriptions with $5 co pay. Lucky me to be Paranoid Schizophrenic. And I'm lucky to have family to rely on and to inherit a hot $800,000 Wicker Park home (hot neighborhood, they made a movie named Wicker Park).

Now I gotta live through poverty surviving on my SSDI until this economy gets better. At least I can enjoy good fast food and groceries with the amount I get. I'd rather be working though and my last job I made $68,000 / year and I miss that... Could have had a BMW 330 by now... And my dating life is on hold because SSDI won't impress a pretty woman... So life sucks a bit.
Sounds to me you don't have to worry about how survive. Sounds like you got it made to me.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:20 AM

18 posts, read 52,869 times
I have 2.5 weeks left. I'm to the point now i'm applying for jobs I don't really even qualify for in the hopes they will train. Problem is they have so many people looking for work they can easily find the ones that match the requirements.

In my area alone, we have Whirlpool that just shut down and moved to Mexico. We also have a Toyota plant and all its local suppliers. Both of which are running at lower production and trying to get rid of the people they have working for them.

No Tier 5 is going to hurt a lot of people considering all the new layoff people looking for work as well.

I keep seeing gas prices rising as well with the explanation that oil prices are higher due to a recovering economy. I can't understand how high gas/oil prices help a recovering economy. Did the 2-3 years of $4-5 a gallon help the economy? Seems it was part of the problem as no one could afford to do or buy as much as most of their income went on gas or higher prices good because of fuel costs.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:22 AM

392 posts, read 704,642 times
I think your mental illness would scare off the chicks more than anything else.
I don't get how you can be disabled, yet able to work at the same time?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:36 AM

348 posts, read 707,265 times
Default r

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Way to trigger the paranoia!
Have not had a good laugh in a while. Besides sounds like he's got plenty of extra room. Maybe even some shrimp for cocktails. Anyway its my birthday and I been going through hell just like everyone else. Most everyone anyway. So I am trying to take a break and lighten up for once.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:34 AM

613 posts, read 961,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
I think your mental illness would scare off the chicks more than anything else.
I don't get how you can be disabled, yet able to work at the same time?
When your on SSDI you can work and collect SSDI at the same time. There is a cap of how much you can earn per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment