Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:45 AM

40 posts, read 216,535 times

Advertisements

Good Monday morning,

About 30 minutes ago, I received a "good news" call. A call offering me a full-time position at a non-profit organization at which I interviewed a couple of weeks ago.

Participating in the world of the unemployed has not been easy. I have been what is considered "unemployed" for over one year. I have sent resumes to hundreds of employers. I have applied to many, many jobs. I have gone on numerous interviews, and finally, after all the no's, I finally got a "YES!" God is good, and I know it wasn't simply me who got me this job. No way! God worked this out for me.

Here is how it happened: When I first became unemployed in December 2008, I registered with a temp agency. The temp agency sent me on a one-day drudge assignment. I was basically helping someone pack their office files into some boxes. I gladly accepted the assignment and I went and worked. I really liked the office and the people, and the fact that I was working earning some money that day, so I wasn't bothered that I getting my nice gray suit dusty and dirty. So, anyway, I did the job and that was it. A one day assignment.

About a month ago, I saw in the employment section of my local paper that the organization where I had done the one day assignment was hiring for a position for which I qualified, working in the Membership department as a Coordinator. I applied for the position. Along with my resume, I also included a little note stating who I am in hopes the Human Resources manager would remember me. After all, she is for whom I had worked on that one day in December 2008.

Anyway, the Human Resources Manager called me in for an interview. I went in for the interview the next day, and I was offered the position today, which is two weeks later.

Understand something, this job for which I just accepted will be paying much, much less than my last full-time position; however, I like the vibe in the office, the office is conveniently located to my home and close to the metaphysical bookstore I like so much, and the benefits are great (they also pay for parking). I'll be in a position where I can help people, and also where I can grow and learn. Plus, I'll be earning money. So, all in all, it's wonderful!

I just want to tell everyone to stay encouraged. Be positive. Set goals. Be a better person. Don't burn any bridges. Always do good work. Always give a good first impression. Be forgiving, and know that rejection doesn't feel good, but it sure can toughen you up in a good way. Struggle builds character, or at least it should. Know your worth and love yourself.

Be blessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,658,585 times

Old 03-08-2010, 09:54 AM

516 posts, read 1,350,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
Good Monday morning,

About 30 minutes ago, I received a "good news" call. A call offering me a full-time position at a non-profit organization at which I interviewed a couple of weeks ago.

Participating in the world of the unemployed has not been easy. I have been what is considered "unemployed" for over one year. I have sent resumes to hundreds of employers. I have applied to many, many jobs. I have gone on numerous interviews, and finally, after all the no's, I finally got a "YES!" God is good, and I know it wasn't simply me who got me this job. No way! God worked this out for me.

Here is how it happened: When I first became unemployed in December 2008, I registered with a temp agency. The temp agency sent me on a one-day drudge assignment. I was basically helping someone pack their office files into some boxes. I gladly accepted the assignment and I went and worked. I really liked the office and the people, and the fact that I was working earning some money that day, so I wasn't bothered that I getting my nice gray suit dusty and dirty. So, anyway, I did the job and that was it. A one day assignment.

About a month ago, I saw in the employment section of my local paper that the organization where I had done the one day assignment was hiring for a position for which I qualified, working in the Membership department as a Coordinator. I applied for the position. Along with my resume, I also included a little note stating who I am in hopes the Human Resources manager would remember me. After all, she is for whom I had worked on that one day in December 2008.

Anyway, the Human Resources Manager called me in for an interview. I went in for the interview the next day, and I was offered the position today, which is two weeks later.

Understand something, this job for which I just accepted will be paying much, much less than my last full-time position; however, I like the vibe in the office, the office is conveniently located to my home and close to the metaphysical bookstore I like so much, and the benefits are great (they also pay for parking). I'll be in a position where I can help people, and also where I can grow and learn. Plus, I'll be earning money. So, all in all, it's wonderful!

I just want to tell everyone to stay encouraged. Be positive. Set goals. Be a better person. Don't burn any bridges. Always do good work. Always give a good first impression. Be forgiving, and know that rejection doesn't feel good, but it sure can toughen you up in a good way. Struggle builds character, or at least it should. Know your worth and love yourself.

Be blessed.
That's awsome. Congratulations to you. It also gives me some hope.

Way to go, and good luck,

Wendy

Old 03-08-2010, 10:16 AM

52,749 posts, read 34,654,049 times
fantastic! congratulations to you

Old 03-08-2010, 11:41 AM

199 posts, read 404,544 times
Quote:
Good Monday morning,

Be blessed.

God is good all the time.....this is so fantastic

Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,537,861 times
great news!! Now you can finally relax and enjoy the days off without looking or panic!!

Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM

475 posts, read 1,645,285 times
I wish all that have "given up" read your post. Temp work and connections sometimes work out!

Dick

Old 03-08-2010, 01:45 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,852,619 times
Quote:
The temp agency sent me on a one-day drudge assignment. I was basically helping someone pack their office files into some boxes. I gladly accepted the assignment and I went and worked. I really liked the office and the people, and the fact that I was working earning some money that day, so I wasn't bothered that I getting my nice gray suit dusty and dirty. So, anyway, I did the job and that was it. A one day assignment.
Congratulations! I think what helped you get the job was your attitude to the one day "drudge assigment". You had already proved your worth to the person hiring.

Just goes to show that even if you have to take a "crap job" to survive, give it your best and who knows what may happen further down the road.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:50 PM

968 posts, read 2,620,493 times
What wonderful news to be heard at the beginning of the week! Congratulations and I wish you the best during this transition and also continued success and longevity within your career.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:32 PM

40 posts, read 216,535 times
Thanks everyone for your well wishes. My start date for my new position is next Monday, March 15th. My birthday is March 21st. What a great birthday gift from the Universe!

Let me also state that after the interview, I sent the Human Resources manager a thank you note. I simply told her that I was grateful to have been called in for the interview. To close the note, I wrote, "Whatever way this turns out, I will be grateful. If I am chosen for the position, I will be grateful. If not, I will be grateful for I know that God has an opportunity waiting especially for me."

I am also grateful for the unemployment compensation assistance I received. No, the money wasn't enough to completely pay my bills, but the money kept my head above water. I was able to keep my apartment. I was late a few times with my rent while unemployed, which I was NEVER late while I was employed, but my rent was always paid.

Yes, after this Saturday, I will no longer have to file a weekly request for compensation, and I no longer have to be concerned about my unemployment running out soon and if another tier will be added.

Many times, right when you are ready to give up and throw in the towel, that's when your breakthrough comes. As I wrote before, be positive. Think of good things. Think of things working out for good, and believe it.

The economy is shaping up. More jobs are opening up. For all of you who are still looking for a job, your time is coming too. Believe that.

It's not by happenstance the way things worked out for me. An invisible force was working behind the scenes, putting everything in order. Timing is everything. Had I not participated in the on-call program at the temp agency, I would not have been there to be sent to the assignment. One year later, had I not looked on Washingtonpost.com on that day, I would not had seen the vacancy for which I applied.

I have also set things up for me to go back to school this year by taking online classes just to make myself more marketable and to increase my knowledge.

I've been doing a lot of soul searching while on my unemployment journey. My attitude toward work is a whole lot different now. I read a book that really opened my eyes up to work. This part really reached me. It said, "A primary purpose of work is to develop character. While the carpenter is building a house, the house is also building the carpenter. Skill, diligence, manual dexterity and good judgment are refined. A job is not merely a task designed to earn money; it is also intended to produce godly character in the life of the worker." ~from the book, "Your Money Counts" by Howard Dayton. When we understand that God is our boss who gives job skills, who gives success, and who controls promotion, then we will perform our work accordingly.

"If you believe everything happens for a reason, you will never have a bad day." ~from the book, "The Source of Miracles"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment