Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:08 PM

161 posts, read 489,357 times

Advertisements

Congratulations on your new job and enduring the "down time".

My job is on the way too. I often think of that lyric in an old song that goes "He may not come when you want Him but He always comes on time..." True indeed!

God is good and continued blessings to you :>)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 06:06 AM

40 posts, read 216,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annken View Post
Congratulations on your new job and enduring the "down time".

My job is on the way too. I often think of that lyric in an old song that goes "He may not come when you want Him but He always comes on time..." True indeed!

God is good and continued blessings to you :>)
Annken, thank you. Yes, your job is coming too, and the thing is, we don't know "how" or "when" it's coming. I was without a paying job for over a year. I'm learning, it really does matter who you know or who knows you. It's always good for the employer to put a face with the resume or application.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:57 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Congrats to you,Diamond. That is just awesome news and I couldn`t be happier for you. Good luck and God bless.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:33 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Such a refreshing attitude! I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Congratulations and God bless...

Old 03-09-2010, 08:00 AM

80 posts, read 206,494 times
Congratulations diamond! Your inspiring posts are much appreciated!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:11 AM

993 posts, read 2,291,969 times
Congratulations! It's always great to hear about someone GETTING a job!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:20 AM

68 posts, read 344,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
Good Monday morning,

About 30 minutes ago, I received a "good news" call. A call offering me a full-time position at a non-profit organization at which I interviewed a couple of weeks ago.

Participating in the world of the unemployed has not been easy. I have been what is considered "unemployed" for over one year. I have sent resumes to hundreds of employers. I have applied to many, many jobs. I have gone on numerous interviews, and finally, after all the no's, I finally got a "YES!" God is good, and I know it wasn't simply me who got me this job. No way! God worked this out for me.

Here is how it happened: When I first became unemployed in December 2008, I registered with a temp agency. The temp agency sent me on a one-day drudge assignment. I was basically helping someone pack their office files into some boxes. I gladly accepted the assignment and I went and worked. I really liked the office and the people, and the fact that I was working earning some money that day, so I wasn't bothered that I getting my nice gray suit dusty and dirty. So, anyway, I did the job and that was it. A one day assignment.

About a month ago, I saw in the employment section of my local paper that the organization where I had done the one day assignment was hiring for a position for which I qualified, working in the Membership department as a Coordinator. I applied for the position. Along with my resume, I also included a little note stating who I am in hopes the Human Resources manager would remember me. After all, she is for whom I had worked on that one day in December 2008.

Anyway, the Human Resources Manager called me in for an interview. I went in for the interview the next day, and I was offered the position today, which is two weeks later.

Understand something, this job for which I just accepted will be paying much, much less than my last full-time position; however, I like the vibe in the office, the office is conveniently located to my home and close to the metaphysical bookstore I like so much, and the benefits are great (they also pay for parking). I'll be in a position where I can help people, and also where I can grow and learn. Plus, I'll be earning money. So, all in all, it's wonderful!

I just want to tell everyone to stay encouraged. Be positive. Set goals. Be a better person. Don't burn any bridges. Always do good work. Always give a good first impression. Be forgiving, and know that rejection doesn't feel good, but it sure can toughen you up in a good way. Struggle builds character, or at least it should. Know your worth and love yourself.

Be blessed.
Congratulations on your new full-time job offer! I wish you the best. And I was glad you posted such positive words....totally needed to read something with value and with giving praise to our all mighty God!

Old 03-09-2010, 12:00 PM

59 posts, read 250,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
I wouldn't think so, Its tax free for the Business not the employee.

Are you sure? I have a friend who worked for a NPO and his yearly salary was tax free. Maybe it varies by state law?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:18 PM

516 posts, read 1,350,279 times
Congrats Diamond Dust, the best of luck to you.

I have an interview tomorrow myself, kind of buggin out, but happy to have one. They need someone asap to run their office and I hope they pick me. Dosen't pay as much as I used to get, but if they offer it to me, I'm jumping on it.

Again, congrats

Old 03-09-2010, 12:49 PM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
What a wonderful post to open up, congratulations!
A side thought- I'd hesitate to mention god in communications with a company- not everyone speaks that language and it could be considered, well, looked askance...
A non-profit simply puts profits in a different category and is in a different taxing situation for itself, not for the employees. (And that's all I remember from getting an A+ in Non-profit Accounting!)
I'm so glad that non-profits doing good work might be more able to get terrific employees/skills with the private-sector economy hurting. There is so much work to do, and so many good groups trying to do it.
Best wishes- keep up posted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment