Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 04:07 PM

323 posts, read 942,134 times

Advertisements

So here’s a fun scenario to all of the naysayers here who berate the unemployed and say that they should be working ANYWHERE they can just to say they are working, vs. sitting at home looking for work.

Yesterday I got an email from a BIG corporation inviting me to be interviewed for a job in my field. The catch is they are 8 hrs. away in another state. Because I’m working 2 part time jobs just to get by, I had to ask to have them make flight arrangements and book me a hotel room so I can try and do the interview next Monday and miss as little time at my part time jobs as possible. They were fine with doing that, but if they weren’t showing that much interest in me then I’d probably be isht out of luck.

If I was still collecting UI and had the flexibility in my schedule this wouldn’t be an issue. I’d be able to hop in the car and go. Instead, I’m going to risk calling in sick and potentially loosing those 2 crappy min wage jobs. I'm tempted to just straight up tell my manager what I'm doing on those days and why I have to miss work and ask for them off, but I'm afraid that they'll just let me go then because I wouldn't be showing up for a scheduled shift or assume that I'll quit shortly after if I get the job. As pathetic and frustrating as this is though, if I lose either of the crappy seasonal jobs I’m working right now, I’m in serious trouble. I can cover about a month of living expenses with what I have left of my savings now.

Despite the negative opinion that the greater majority of the country believes that “the unemployed are lazy” and “anyone can work if they really wanted to”, many people can’t even find the crappy min. wage type jobs I’m working right now. For places like McDonalds, etc. you can hire Person A, a middle aged unemployed Engineer or former Real Estate Agent, etc, or Person B, a 19 year old kid that just wants to earn enough money to pay for gas and car insurance. Who’s gonna stick around longer? Who’s MIGHT feel unmotivated to work hard and feel indignant about working in a job that’s “beneath them?” Most places are choosing the 19 year old kid for those reasons.

And if you are working a temp job or menial labor job someplace, the concern you have for missing time to interview is even worse. At least in my jobs I can try and find someone to take my shift. Say I’m filling paperwork at a bank or stacking boxes in a warehouse. They consider you a full time, 40 hr a week employee with a set schedule who has to EARN vacation time. Sure you can call in sick 2 or 3 times in several months. But can you do it 5 times? 10 times? When do they tell you to bring in a doctor’s note? When do they just outright fire you?

Unemployment gives you the flexibility to pursue the work you WANT to be doing without putting yourself in jeopardy to lose a job you have not vested future interest in and little to no job security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 04:17 PM

219 posts, read 562,734 times
This is true. Low-paying jobs are typically not very flexible, because your replacement is considered a dime a dozen. OTOH, I'm not sure I could do unemployment for a year or more without picking up at least a part time gig somewhere (assuming they exist). But that's just a personal preference. I'd probably grow pretty restless and depressed just applying for jobs. Plus, you never know what kind of opportunities might arise from the part time gig. It could very well turn into a full-time management gig.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:25 PM

323 posts, read 942,134 times
Yes, I can understand the idea of WANTING to work, and taking a retail job, etc. in hopes that you could become management, but like I said there are certainly drawbacks like this. Both places are scheduling me for whatever shift they need. ANY DAY of the week that want to, and I'm still only getting 45-50 hrs. a week. I'm working days between 8-5 at one place for 30 hrs. a week, and nights at another until 1-2 (whenever we finish stocking and cleaning up the store) for 15-20 hrs. a week. I am working ALL WEEKEND at both more often then not. When I start talking to people about taking my Sun. shift, I can't even offer to work for them on Fri. or Sat. because I ALREADY work a day shift both days!

Old 12-07-2010, 04:25 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,474,527 times
If I was unemployed I'd think hard about cash only jobs or services. I can make more in a weekend parting out a car in my garage than someone in my state will make in a month on UI.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:06 PM

935 posts, read 2,412,598 times
Full time work would be the best of all worlds. I agree that 2 part-time jobs sort of leaves you a bit stretched for time because you feel as though your life is no longer your own. However, I think your part-time jobs might look better for you in the eyes of employers than unemployment. It's a bit difficult to juggle, but you're less likely to be discriminated against due to being unemployed.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:36 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,206,877 times
A good friend of mine's position was being phased out just as he was entering his mid 50's. He knew it was going to happen and started a quest for three months to find a job and luckily he found one on the last day of his old job. The position encompassed much of what he already did and he was in his chosen field of occupation - but it was part time. That lasted a week and when they discovered just how much he could do they immediately bumped it to a full time job.

I understand the difference between a survival job and a career job, but taking a part time job in your field isn't a bad risk sometimes.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:08 PM

649 posts, read 1,425,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos View Post
This is true. Low-paying jobs are typically not very flexible, because your replacement is considered a dime a dozen. OTOH, I'm not sure I could do unemployment for a year or more without picking up at least a part time gig somewhere (assuming they exist). But that's just a personal preference. I'd probably grow pretty restless and depressed just applying for jobs. Plus, you never know what kind of opportunities might arise from the part time gig. It could very well turn into a full-time management gig.
In this economy, you don't have a preference. If your laid off and can't find a job(PT or FT), then what are you going to do? Yep...that's what I thought. Take it from someone that was laid off for two years. I can wright a book on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment