Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 09:47 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Something is going to be done sooner or later thanks to stories like this:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...loyment-claims

When (not if) that happens all sorts are going to be trawled in same net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 02:52 AM

345 posts, read 206,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDubbs77 View Post
The answer to the OP's question is repayment or prison. Don't do it.
exactly just dont do it

Old 02-23-2021, 10:07 AM

177 posts, read 77,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Something is going to be done sooner or later thanks to stories like this:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...loyment-claims

When (not if) that happens all sorts are going to be trawled in same net.
those cases in that story are flat out fraud, ie: people claiming benefits under other's names ... those are extreme cases which will most certainly be caught

I think what the OP is talking about is filing a claim after obtaining employment, which should also be caught pretty easily since employers report wages on specific dates

What cant be caught is people working "under the table" etc, while claiming benefits, or at least itd be far more difficult to catch

Old 02-23-2021, 05:47 PM

62 posts, read 23,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcolby1978 View Post
I think this will vary from state to state... some states will definitely crack down hard and audit, others will probably just be too overwhelmed and not really care, not making this a political debate but the more liberal states will probably be more apt to just let it go... I actually worry I will be audited because I am self employed and filed my benefits in between contract jobs, 1099's dont list any dates of when you earned, they just lump it all together
This was the source of my curiosity. I suspect it is like any other welfare benefits game. Some people know how to game the system and others playing by the rules could miss out.

Personally I’m playing it safe and being honest, but I would like to hear about any of the loopholes.

Old 02-25-2021, 11:38 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
The CARES Act provides funds to the states to identify fraud. SC is currently sending audit letters to claimants. They are requesting the same documents claimants have provided in the last year. How many times will a self-employed worker have to submit their tax records?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment