Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2018, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 561 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am receiving UI in NYS from losing my full time job. I recently got unsteady part-time work (maybe work 1-2 a week, every week or every other week). When claiming my weekly benefits, they said I needed to provide additional information since there was a break in my claim since I put that I worked 2 days last week after not having worked a full week the previous week.

They are asking for my most recent employer's information. Is that my previous full-time employer's information, or my new unsteady part-time employer's information?

Will DOI send a letter to this employer confirming my info? And if so, will DOI send the employer a letter every time I claim my benefits after a break in my claim?

Thanks for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 10:27 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,239,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYUIUSA View Post
I recently got unsteady part-time work
You made a terrible mistake.

Quote:
They are asking for my most recent employer's information. Is that my previous full-time employer's information, or my new unsteady part-time employer's information?
The part-time crap job.

When you have sporadic ups and downs and work and no work, there are issues as to whether YOU may be the cause of it. If it's determined that you don't want to work, are skipping out on shifts, asking to be not scheduled, you're going to get cut off.

A part-time job is a JOB. It's your new career. If you take this type of work, it's expected that if your employer wants you to do it for 40 hours a week, it's now suitable work for you.

With NY's brutal partial UI formula, I bet you get LESS than you would have gotten just collecting your UI, and looking for the correct job.

Quote:
Will DOI send a letter to this employer confirming my info? And if so, will DOI send the employer a letter every time I claim my benefits after a break in my claim?
Yes. DOL needs to know if the employer has no work for you, if something you're doing is causing the employer to not schedule you, or if you're asking to not have to work so that you can be properly denied benefits if there is misconduct on your part or if you are the cause of your own lack of earnings.

I tell people over and over to stay away from part-time work. It's just not worth it. In NY, the incremental increase to your weekly income can actually be a negative and when you factor in the cost of transportation, it's like paying to go to work and work or free, and that ignores the fact that your time has value.

You should hope your employer fires you because of the contact from the UI people because they don't want to deal with it either. You can undo your mistake.

Get a job that was about as good or BETTER than you had before. Not crap work. The crap work will be there when the UI runs out. It's always there because no one wants it. It's really easy to take crap work when you have no income, but when a UI check is on the line that's reliable that's a different matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment