Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 01:55 PM

724 posts, read 454,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
Same here my son. The regular unemployment is deposited but none of the 600. Keep reading other threads folks not seeing it for weeks and some people saying they got it already. I told my son don't expectt it for a while but who knows.
You claimed late so your son’s 600 is not due until next week. I claimed later on Friday so maybe that is my hold up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 03:26 PM

23,173 posts, read 12,436,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
Same here my son. The regular unemployment is deposited but none of the 600. Keep reading other threads folks not seeing it for weeks and some people saying they got it already. I told my son don't expectt it for a while but who knows.

Here in TX which is supposedly lacking in social services, UI deposits with $600 FPUC have been depositing without delay.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:22 PM

12,884 posts, read 15,264,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Lot of clickbait on YouTube with this stuff. The only two I pay any attention are to Logan Allec and Clear Value Tax. Most of the others are trying to sell other stuff or are kids just posting the same crap over and over again with no knowledge whatsoever.
Coincidentally, I listen to that Clear Value Tax CPA too! I've also listened to Stephen Gardner who seems to be a Wall Street guy & Kevin Conway, a licensed attorney and real estate professional, so I'm not listening to any slouches or young punks either.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Titere View Post
NJ UI system is completely broken. TX is surprisingly holding their own, although when the oil field layoffs hit too it's going to get ugly.

A lot have already hit. Halliburton and Schlumberger have laid off many thousands.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:34 PM

24 posts, read 14,267 times
The payroll tax cut is insanity. No one benefits from that if you're not working, which 30% of us or so won't be for the next few months, more than likely.

Also, the argument that people shouldn't be making more than they were before the pandemic via unemployment is absurd on every intellectual level.

The goal, as it stands right now, is to keep people home while also propping up the economy by ensuring that people have money to get them through their bills and expenses (a giant portion of this money is going to Make America's Landlords Great Again) as well as consumer purchases to keep businesses afloat.

By paying people (slightly) on average more than they were making while they were working, work is disincentivized, which is exactly the point. You can put a price on UI benefits, but you can't put one on your health.

No one is arguing that this should be going on indefinitely, merely that it is a stopgap until things begin to settle down. A lot of people on this board haven't even gotten their UI benefits yet, and the republicans are already clamoring to get them off, because they want (need) to acquiesce to their business cronies who want the wheel to stay in motion, regardless of worker health.

UI bennies aren't going to stay at this level forever- they'll probably get extended past July as Trump's plan to reopen the country will end in utter catastrophe, but that's worse for everyone, right? The initial plan of overpaying workers to stay home, letting the virus settle and reinforcing our testing procedures and contact tracing, and then reopening later, in perhaps June or July as numbers actually started to go down, as opposed to up makes perfect sense, but we have a spineless leader whose ego is tissue paper fragile who prefers to "go with his gut" because he "has a knack for these things" and he's going to tank the country in the process. If he showed any form of empathy and understanding that actual human lives and not 'numbers' are at risk here, he'd win in a landslide, but the only thing he's ever known is comfort in money, so he assumes that that's his only shot.

I'm an avid Trump hater, to be sure, but I'd never place the blame for the pandemic at his feet- it surely wasn't his fault. The response, however? Absolutely.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman22 View Post
The payroll tax cut is insanity. No one benefits from that if you're not working, which 30% of us or so won't be for the next few months, more than likely.

Also, the argument that people shouldn't be making more than they were before the pandemic via unemployment is absurd on every intellectual level.

The goal, as it stands right now, is to keep people home while also propping up the economy by ensuring that people have money to get them through their bills and expenses (a giant portion of this money is going to Make America's Landlords Great Again) as well as consumer purchases to keep businesses afloat.

The payroll tax is nuts because it helps the people who are the best off - the ones still with a job.

But the absurdity on every intellectual level is for people to make more not working than working. No, the goal "as it stands right now" is not for people to stay home. Things are now re-opening and the places re-opening need their employees back. You can't "prop up" the economy with most things closed.

Aside from the gross unfairness to those working for low wages, which is a good part of the "essential" services, whether people stay home or not is driven by what is allowed to be open, not by the income people have. If the UI/FPUC combined total was limited to 80% of previous income, those people are not going to be induced to get a job during a lockdown because there aren't many jobs to be had during a lockdown. The bigger threat to bills not getting paid and expenses not getting met is from the people who lost middle-class income jobs ($50k-100k) where UI/FPUC only replaces 50-75% of former income.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:46 PM

24 posts, read 14,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
No, the goal "as it stands right now" is not for people to stay home. Things are now re-opening and the places re-opening need their employees back. You can't "prop up" the economy with most things closed.
But they're mostly doing this under threat of withheld federal funds. When California has to start borrowing from the feds in order to make ends meet for UI disbursements, and when states like Michigan whom Trump has targeted with a fat white circle with red rings decide they're nervous, he and the Republicans will withhold aid on a state by state basis, essentially play by our rules or no money for you. The only states truly clamoring to reopen are going to be the ones that get hit the hardest by the second wave, and we're going to watch as this plays out over the next month. They should have remained closed, as almost every expert advises, but the business owners MUST make money. That's just the way it is.

Meanwhile, a massive percentage (in most cases, 80+%) of people that work in the jobs that have the highest risk factors are scared to go back to work, because as this is all going down, Republicans are mandating liability limitations and restrictions for employers.

Basically, they want to funnel the working class into the engine rooms of the Titanic and close the door behind, all the while blasting "Live and Let Die" in the background.

For shame.

I'm not against the 80% idea you proposed, and I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, and while I don't think exceeding 100% of income is a sustainable idea by any measure, 'propping up' as I intended it meant making sure the normal bill cycle and a decent percentage of normal expenditures (food, drink, games, home entertainment, essentially everything that can be done during a pandemic) were funded enough to continue on.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman22 View Post
But they're mostly doing this under threat of withheld federal funds. When California has to start borrowing from the feds in order to make ends meet for UI disbursements, and when states like Michigan whom Trump has targeted with a fat white circle with red rings decide they're nervous, he and the Republicans will withhold aid on a state by state basis, essentially play by our rules or no money for you. The only states truly clamoring to reopen are going to be the ones that get hit the hardest by the second wave, and we're going to watch as this plays out over the next month. They should have remained closed, as almost every expert advises, but the business owners MUST make money. That's just the way it is.

The kinda cool thing in this is, for once, we are going to see decisively in a few weeks one way or the other as opposed to the usual nebulous and arguable outcomes. The "shocking" data out of NY that most new cases are the vulnerable who were locked down suggest that the virus is going to get to the vulnerable either way, which might also mean sparing the majority either way.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Titere View Post
I don't think it'll be a couple of weeks. The number of asymptomatic will skew this.

5-6 weeks is my bet for the top of this peak.

Maybe a "peak" but with an average time of 5-7 days to show symptoms, there should be a marked increase in cases within two weeks as those getting infected this week would almost surely be showing symptoms within two weeks, if they are going to become asymptomatic.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:52 PM

32,407 posts, read 27,665,123 times
Here's the deal....

Mitch McConnell and GOP want strong liability protections for businesses/companies similar to what happened after 9/11/01. Pelosi, Schumer and democrats are saying that is a total non-starter.

OTHO democrats want huge social spending as part of second wave of stimulus, so there you are...

All politics comes down to art of the possible.

DT is an idiot whose sole preoccupation at this point is not losing in November to Joe Biden. He will go along with anything put on his desk that helps (or so he believes) his poll numbers. The man is a squirming bag of appetites with absolutely no bottom.

For good or bad this whole hot mess is playing out during a presidential election year, with a good part of senate and all of House up for re-election as well. Each side needs to get out ahead of this but things are difficult because epidemics have minds of their own.

What is clear however is that a federal government already up to its neck in debt, now is digging a deeper hole. This has not escaped a fraction of GOP who now have gotten religion and worry about US debt. It didn't bother them previously when GOP passed DT's tax "cut" *ahem* reform. Nor did it when DT was shoveling out huge sums for everything from military spending to that GD pet project of his (border wall), but *now* they are worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment