Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 07:37 PM

6 posts, read 2,618 times

Advertisements

I'm in IL, and just started to collect UI. This week I got two job offers, and clearly I had to turn down one. However, I won't be able to start the other job I decided to take until the end of May due to the COVID-19. I have two questions:

1. During UI certification process, I have to choose "Yes or No" for the question of "If you have turned down a suitable job offered to you." Should I answer Yes or No?

2. If I only received the offer I took, I believe I do qualify for UI till the date I actually work and earn. Since I turned down one offer, and the other job won't start till a month later, am I still eligible for UI for the next 4 weeks or so?

It's a little bit complicated for me, and I would really appreciate your input and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 07:58 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,214,127 times
Answer No you didn't turn down work.

Keep collecting until you start your new job. Then just stop certifying.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:02 PM

515 posts, read 553,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post

Definitely this. Otherwise you just create an issue. We have seen people here do that then the job falls through.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:48 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
In IL, if you received a legitimate suitable job offer as defined by the regulations, you will need to report the refusal to unemployment of face fraud penalties and fines if they find out. But, you only report if it;s a legitimate job offers.

I have not see this yet from IL but a couple other states have notified employers that they should be reporting refusals to unemployment. They try to make it sound like doing so is a civic duty for the businesses to preserve the integrity and maintain current favorable tax rates.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:

That sounds a good plan. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon25 View Post
Definitely this. Otherwise you just create an issue. We have seen people here do that then the job falls through.
Thanks you!
Job falls through??? That sucks! Those cases are pretty rare, right? I signed the offer with a decent size company. Finger crossed.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
In IL, if you received a legitimate suitable job offer as defined by the regulations, you will need to report the refusal to unemployment of face fraud penalties and fines if they find out. But, you only report if it;s a legitimate job offers.

I have not see this yet from IL but a couple other states have notified employers that they should be reporting refusals to unemployment. They try to make it sound like doing so is a civic duty for the businesses to preserve the integrity and maintain current favorable tax rates.
Thanks! That's indeed my concern.

The offer I turned down is from a small company in IL, and the job I decided to take is in PA. Hopefully this local employer won't report. One main reason why I don't want to join this local company is the unsafe working environment informed by one of their ex-employee. I didn't want to be rude so I just told them I got a better opportunity in another company in east coast. It appear to be a legitimate job offer, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Old 04-24-2020, 10:58 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,214,127 times
I wouldn't worry if I were you. You chose the better offer. You did nothing wrong.

Remember that "suitable" means safe too. I literally would not give it a second thought if I were you.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:27 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
My concern is you're basing the "unsafe" on second hand suspect reporting. This type of information is never accepted by unemployment without a third authoritative report. Had you obtain regulatory inspection reports or ambulance responses or even seen it, those are always considered authoritative information and you are welcome to use them to refuse or even quit a job for just cause. But, some employee saying something negative can be just a lie cause they were not given a ten cents raise. Truth be told, it's highly unlikely it will ever be reported but never accept negative information that can't be validated by an authoritative source.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't worry if I were you. You chose the better offer. You did nothing wrong.

Remember that "suitable" means safe too. I literally would not give it a second thought if I were you.
Thanks a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment