Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 08:55 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,222,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
Lancers Comment further up the thread:
Just went onto the IRS portal and discovered that even if you have your banking info on your return but did not get a refund but made a payment that the IRS does not capture that information. So they only use the banking info if they sent you money. It would have been nice to have gotten a heads up on that one. Is this entire system that stupid?

Although kind of doesn't seem right because non filers were able to do the stimulus registration through Turbo Tax and IRS's tax company (can't remember the name) and put banking info in even though having no refund sent to them.. $1 AGI put in just so IRS will accept the return as they won't for $0.

it says if you filed 2018 and need to update then you need to file your 2019 as soon as possible (for direct deposit). That's not how I thought the Get my Payment was gonna work.
Interesting that they don't save any info. I received refunds for many years always with the same bank info. I also got the last stimulus check right away with the same DD. So I find it really hard to believe they don't have that somewhere. Oh well!

Yeah, the Get My Payment tool isn't useful so far. I'm not filing 2019 taxes until July, so I guess I will have to wait until mid May (or whenever it is) to get a paper check. Unless the GMP tool actually starts working tomorrow and I can update my info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 08:02 AM

957 posts, read 545,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
Lancers Comment further up the thread:
Just went onto the IRS portal and discovered that even if you have your banking info on your return but did not get a refund but made a payment that the IRS does not capture that information. So they only use the banking info if they sent you money. It would have been nice to have gotten a heads up on that one. Is this entire system that stupid?

Although kind of doesn't seem right because non filers were able to do the stimulus registration through Turbo Tax and IRS's tax company (can't remember the name) and put banking info in even though having no refund sent to them.. $1 AGI put in just so IRS will accept the return as they won't for $0.

it says if you filed 2018 and need to update then you need to file your 2019 as soon as possible (for direct deposit). That's not how I thought the Get my Payment was gonna work.
Yeah!
So if you filed in 2018, and paid electronically or by check, then they are saying to file for 2019 - but IF YOU OWE it doesnt matter if you file electronically - it wont capture that information. But if a refund is due you for 2019, then do it electronically, then they will have that information.

IF you owed in 2018 and already filed 2019 and owed (again) - then your SOL... you will have to wait for a paper check, because you cant change anything for either year (bank info) - the only way to change bank info is to file and be refunded for 2019.

I will be waiting with baited breath for a paper check to arrive, sometime this century LOL

Old 04-17-2020, 08:17 AM

5,355 posts, read 3,914,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis View Post
Yeah!
So if you filed in 2018, and paid electronically or by check, then they are saying to file for 2019 - but IF YOU OWE it doesnt matter if you file electronically - it wont capture that information. But if a refund is due you for 2019, then do it electronically, then they will have that information.

IF you owed in 2018 and already filed 2019 and owed (again) - then your SOL... you will have to wait for a paper check, because you cant change anything for either year (bank info) - the only way to change bank info is to file and be refunded for 2019.

I will be waiting with baited breath for a paper check to arrive, sometime this century LOL

I was able to input my banking info on the web portal and IRS stated they would send me my money via direct deposit. When is anyone's guess. To be fair they have a massive undertaking here.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I was able to input my banking info on the web portal and IRS stated they would send me my money via direct deposit. When is anyone's guess. To be fair they have a massive undertaking here.
Oh Lucky you!! Im envious Every time I have checked it has said 'no information blahblahblah'
My son and my daughter both rec'd their money (direct deposit) - So I know money is being sent

I hope your $ comes soon, since you were able to put your info in

Old 04-17-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
That's great! You'll get it much faster. I didn't released the paper checks might take months. Ugh.

The site still has me locked out.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:36 AM

5,355 posts, read 3,914,922 times
I think I heard somewhere they can only do 5 million paper checks a week and the Donald is causing a further delay insisting his name is on the check.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:12 AM

Yeah, I read that too. And 60 million still have to get theirs so at 5 million per week, some people won't even get it by Christmas.

This is fun. (thud)

Old 04-17-2020, 11:47 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,802,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
Yeah, I read that too. And 60 million still have to get theirs so at 5 million per week, some people won't even get it by Christmas.

This is fun. (thud)
LOL my math says 5M a week which is 20M a month.. that's 3 months.... but I get your point.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I think I heard somewhere they can only do 5 million paper checks a week and the Donald is causing a further delay insisting his name is on the check.
I dont know why... his signature is illegible anyway LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment