Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 05:53 AM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times

Advertisements

Now this is really getting strange. First of all the website for get my payment is up and running I just checked.

I enter my info and message is we have no DD info on you. Really? So I go ahead and fill in the info. You need your particulars and adjusted gross off the 2019 return as well as routing and account number.

So I do mine then figure I will check the wife's. Once I fill out her name SS yada next screen says you are eligible for the stimulus but strangely enough they say they will send hers to my bank account. Just last 4 numbers listed of course.

Now since my banks info was already on my filed return why wasn't that info already in their system? How did they know we filed a joint return yet miss the bank info?

Just knew they would find a way to f this up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 10:02 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,214,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Now this is really getting strange. First of all the website for get my payment is up and running I just checked.

I enter my info and message is we have no DD info on you. Really? So I go ahead and fill in the info. You need your particulars and adjusted gross off the 2019 return as well as routing and account number.

So I do mine then figure I will check the wife's. Once I fill out her name SS yada next screen says you are eligible for the stimulus but strangely enough they say they will send hers to my bank account. Just last 4 numbers listed of course.

Now since my banks info was already on my filed return why wasn't that info already in their system? How did they know we filed a joint return yet miss the bank info?

I don't know. I got this message even though they for sure have my DD info.

"According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

For more information on the eligibility rules, see our Frequently Asked Questions page."

Old 04-15-2020, 02:52 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp1102 View Post
I have not received anything yet although my buddy in California had his pop into his account around 10pm PST.

Neither of your links work because the forum abbreviated the links

I am wondering how payouts will be handled for those of us that use a service like HR Block to do our taxes and have them take the fee out of our refund, but still direct deposit the rest of it to our checking account - in my case, I generally do that. Does the IRS have that DD info on file, or will we have to do that form on the IRS website? I am not sure if this has been addressed.
Sorry about that!

Here's the IRS link:
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/econ...mpact-payments

Here's the CPA youtuber:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCig...OQtq2WA/videos

Old 04-15-2020, 02:57 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,765,294 times
Quote:

Did you say you get normal social security retirement payments? Those people were supposed to be in the "second" wave of payments, although I thought that would only be if you haven't filed tax returns for 2018 and 2019 that they would pull off of SSA information (SSA-1099 tax forms sent to IRS each year). Do both of you collect SS retirement?

Old 04-15-2020, 03:04 PM

My understanding is SS recipients would be in the second wave IF they don't file tax returns and do not provide direct deposit info. I did provide banking info on my returns since I file electronically whether I am due a refund or have a tax due.

I have filed tax returns since 1974. My wife does not collect social Security. It's just another governmental screw up not unexpected.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:34 PM

Just went onto the IRS portal and discovered that even if you have your banking info on your return but did not get a refund but made a payment that the IRS does not capture that information. So they only use the banking info if they sent you money. It would have been nice to have gotten a heads up on that one. Is this entire system that stupid?

Old 04-15-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Just went onto the IRS portal and discovered that even if you have your banking info on your return but did not get a refund but made a payment that the IRS does not capture that information. So they only use the banking info if they sent you money. It would have been nice to have gotten a heads up on that one. Is this entire system that stupid?
Honestly I never took it to mean banking information was on file with IRS if you made a payment. I always thought it was referencing those who received a refund and would have bank info provided. On tax returns it always says if a refund is due would you like it deposited and if so please provide banking info. If you didn't have a refund due to you that portion wouldn't usually be filled out. Personally if I mail someone a check I don't want them capturing my information for future use. I don't even like when some of these online places still have your credit card info on file, even when you've been told they don't save it.

what I'm hoping doesn't happen is that your $1200 will be sent via bank deposit info on record with SSA and your wife's $1200 is still out their in the wings. Although I would assume filing a 2019 return would prevent this. But one never knows. or will they just send a paper check for your $2400. I don't know what the cut off time frame is that they say hey we don't have banking info on file for John doe so John doe gets a check? Is there an end date for direct deposits that will be issued?

comment from other thread

Ive been getting the same thing... but I just noticed they changed it.. and the website now says:

Update your bank account or mailing address
If we don’t have your direct deposit information from 2018 or 2019 return – and we haven’t yet sent your payment – use the Get My Payment application to let us know where to send your direct deposit.
2019 Filers: We will send your payment using the information you provided with your 2019 tax return. You will not be able to change it.
2018 Filers: If you need to change your account information or mailing address, file your 2019 taxes electronically as soon as possible. That is the only way to let us know your new information.

I paid both by cheque... and since I already filed my 2019, it looks like I will have to wait for a paper cheque.

Last edited by scraprsmith; 04-15-2020 at 05:07 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 05:08 PM

When I inputted my info I then went and inputted her info just after. They are going to send me a direct deposit for $1200 and they are going to send my wife a direct deposit. Both deposits will be going into my account.

Matter of fact after I inputted her info the next page already had the last 4 digits of my bank account listed so I can only assume that they will deposit into the account they listed as the bank account for the deposit(s).

The IRS had no record of my bank info insofar as the stimulus check goes while of course they have this info for my ongoing Social Security payments.

I paid my 2019 1040 taxes electronically through one of the portals on the IRS website.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
When I inputted my info I then went and inputted her info just after. They are going to send me a direct deposit for $1200 and they are going to send my wife a direct deposit. Both deposits will be going into my account.

Matter of fact after I inputted her info the next page already had the last 4 digits of my bank account listed so I can only assume that they will deposit into the account they listed as the bank account for the deposit(s).

The IRS had no record of my bank info insofar as the stimulus check goes while of course they have this info for my ongoing Social Security payments.

I paid my 2019 1040 taxes electronically through one of the portals on the IRS website.
IRS knew you were filing married from your 2019 return. They didn't have your bank info because you paid them by check (and no banking info retained). so then you put your name in first and entered your bank info you wanted for direct deposit. The reason when you put your wife's name in and it showed last 4 digits of your bank account is because system knows from your 2019 return you were married filing jointly so it populated her bank data with the same bank info as yours. I bet if you put your wife's name in first it would have had no bank info.

Last edited by scraprsmith; 04-15-2020 at 06:20 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 06:22 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,944,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basboy View Post
Did anybody get their $1200 stimulus yet from California ? Not the $600 from UI benefit. Thank you and Stay healthy !!
I got mine today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment