Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 62,811 times

Advertisements

Please advise:
I started collect unemployment on September 21 2012. But from February 2013 I am working on contract, which will be done on August 20.

1. How long does it take to reopen the claim and do I need to wait for phone interview with EDD (does they call in a week or two?)
2. Also Can I go out of country for a week or two? I still have access to computer and will be looking for a new job.
3. How long I can collect my unemployment? Only until September 21? or I can have an extension?

Thanks a lot for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 01:12 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiliaY View Post
I started collect unemployment on September 21 2012. But from February 2013 I am working on contract, which will be done on August 20.

1. How long does it take to reopen the claim and do I need to wait for phone interview with EDD (does they call in a week or two?)
If you are working contract through an agency, be sure to contact them for additional work. Otherwise, the end of this contract will be reported as a quit. At which point, CA won't reopen the claim without an investigation, requiring you to disprove or justify this "quit."

Losing umeployment insurance benefits by finding temp work? - The Job Doc Blog - Boston.com

If your story on the end of this job meshes with what CA is told by the employer/agency, there should not be an interview.

Quote:
2. Also Can I go out of country for a week or two? I still have access to computer and will be looking for a new job.
Don't attempt to claim while you are out of the country. CA will flag the IP, stop your benefits, conduct a phone interview, and disqualify you for benefits for not only the weeks you are claiming but possibly one or two additional penalty weeks.

Even if you're searching for work, you don't meet the "Able and Available" criteria for work. It is a stretch to say you can fly home. In CA, I believe you can't be more than 3 hours away.

You can try calling EDD before you leave. They may be able to approve this travel if you are, in fact, searching for work out of the country.

Quote:
3. How long I can collect my unemployment? Only until September 21? or I can have an extension?
If you exhaust your state benefits and begin EUC before your bye - and your claim qualifies - you will be able to collect on an extension as long as legislation permits. Because you have worked, if you have a full 26-week claim, it is unlikely you will have exhausted state benefits and begun EUC before your bye, if I'm counting the weeks correctly.

However, at your bye, CA will recertify your claim. Actually, because you have worked, CA prefers you file a new claim application at the bye - or you can call a rep. At that time CA checks for new claim eligibility.

Because you have worked, you will have new claim eligibility. So, depending on the size of the new claim, you will either be paid from the new claim or, under CA's DNCP, continue on EUC from your earlier claim, if available. The 2nd claim stills remains for you to collect when EUC from the first claim is exhausted.

If you have not yet begun EUC at your bye, the new claim will void any of those benefits. EUC is not paid on the the 1st claim where back-to-back state claims exist - unless EUC was begun on the earlier claim before establishment of the 2nd claim.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-30-2013 at 01:23 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 02:40 PM

Thank you very much Ariadne22. So hard to understand all benefits what we have on EDD website. Thank you very much for your explanation.
I found this contract myself and I am not working through the agency, Company paying me gross income and I am sending Estimating tax check every 3 month. I am finishing my project for this private company on August 15-20. Does EDD needs to investigate my "quit"? Also I didn't know that I am eligible for next claim if I worked as "independent contractor". Do you think I can reopen my claim or I can open new one after September 21? Can I be eligible for a new claim. (total I will be working 6 month for this contract.

Thanks again.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I found this contract myself and I am not working through the agency, Company paying me gross income and I am sending Estimating tax check every 3 month. I am finishing my project for this private company on August 15-20. Does EDD needs to investigate my "quit"? Also I didn't know that I am eligible for next claim if I worked as "independent contractor". Do you think I can reopen my claim or I can open new one after September 21? Can I be eligible for a new claim. (total I will be working 6 month for this contract.
If you were paid on 1099, EDD won't establish a claim on those wages, unless you petition to have them reclassified, which will annoy your employer, because the whole point of paying on 1099 is to avoid UI and other taxes.

When that contract ends and you apply to reopen the claim, yes, EDD will still contact that employer as to why you are no longer working there, even though it isn't a quit. It is a termination or discharge - unless your employer tells EDD you quit - which they shouldn't.

You can reopen your old claim when this job ends, but if you are still collecting state benefits at your bye, there are no other benefits after that, including the federal extensions because you did not exhaust state benefits before the bye. One of the hazards of working before beginning EUC - you may not have enough time to exhaust state benefits before the bye. Thus, EUC on that claim is lost.

If you don't have new "eligible wages" since you first filed, you don't have basis for a new claim unless you get those wages reclassified.

Whole thread on reclassifying wages, here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...e-hearing.html

And specific post with CA EDD links:

Old 07-30-2013, 03:20 PM

Default Correction!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
And specific post with CA EDD links:

This is the correct post w/CA links:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/30282366-post4.html

Old 07-30-2013, 03:25 PM

Big thanks to you Ariadne22.
I'll try to reopen my claim in August, but huge problem - you CANNOT call EDD, they NEVER answering phone. I tried many times when I got laid off last September. I always worked and paid big amount to EDD ( as insurance of my unemployment) they not helping people with any advice. I have a feeling that I cannot go back to unemployment, because I don't know many rules what they have, what I must to follow.
Thanks again.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I'll try to reopen my claim in August, but huge problem - you CANNOT call EDD, they NEVER answering phone. I tried many times when I got laid off last September. I have a feeling that I cannot go back to unemployment, because I don't know many rules what they have, what I must to follow.
Yes, you CAN call EDD.

You CAN reopen that claim. Reopening that claim is absolutely NO PROBLEM if you have benefits still to collect.

Call EDD 800 no. first thing in the morning, before 8. a.m. The day you are no longer working.

Keep dialing until they pick up. After recorded message dial 5-1-1-0 to navigate phone tree. You will get through to a rep.

EDD has had restricted phone hours for a couple of months now - 8 a.m. - noon. But usually everyone gets through using the 5-1-1-0 method.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 19,152 times
Default reopening EDD claim

I qualified for EDD benefits on 9/20/13 and had to go through appeals to get benefits, I won; but EDD had stopped sending claim forms, so I reopened my claim. Now EDD sent me backdated claim forms and a noticed saying I need an interview. Of course this interview is three weeks out. Do I have to worry about having my claim denied even though a judge found me in favor during my appeal?

Last edited by willmanprw; 01-18-2014 at 06:14 AM..

Old 01-18-2014, 06:24 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
Yes, there is always a risk. You have to be sure to tell the interviewer that you were in an appeal that the claim forms stopped coming and that you tried and tried and tried to call to have them send the claim forms, and that it wasn't until you won your appeal that the claim forms finally came and that you want the money that you should have gotten had they done everything right, and that it's all edd's fault that you had to do this. You accept ZERO blame for the late claim forms. You don't say things like, "I might have lost it," or "someone in my house might not have given it to me," or anything like that. It's all edd's fault, their new computer system, and limited phone hours, and no one helping.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 17,060 times
Hello everyone... maybe someone would have some answers for me .

I was laid off in June 2013. I was approved and was given my benefits with 3 weeks of applying. My benefits ended on December 2013. Since Congress hasn't made any decisions on federal extension, there goes my luck. I called EDD on January 2014 and they told me to re - apply for a new claim in June because that's when my initial claim ends. I haven't worked since then, I've applied every where with no luck.

So my question will I be able to collect benefits under a new claim?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment