Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:36 AM

13 posts, read 62,825 times

Advertisements

I originally lost my job in January, 2011. After I lost my job I worked part time for my previous employer(around 3 weeks). Because of that, after my benefit year was over, I had to file a new claim. They looked at my previous earnings from the last five quarters, and because I received my severance in one of them, I was eligible to start a new claim at the maximum benefit amount. Had the usual waiting week and the new claim started. After a year, I had to do the usual file a new claim and get denied to start receiving the additional EUC. That process took longer than usual, cause the system kept getting screwed up because of my original claim and had to call 4 times to get it resolved. Finally I got my back payments and started receiving the EUC from the 2nd claim.

Now my 2nd claim has ended(I know I was receiving the EUC from the 2nd claim cause of the amount of weeks I received it). Can I have my 1st claim reactivated? When I log in now, it just give me the payment history option and file a new claim. Has anybody ever heard of this situation?

I'm certainly going to try. Having a hard time finding a job and I should be hearing about a town job in the next couple of weeks(fingers crossed). Hate to play system like this, but between a rock and a.....

Thanx for the help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 AM

25,574 posts, read 56,520,405 times
NY should not have exhausted all EUC from your 2nd claim if there was unexhausted EUC on the first claim. Don't know what you mean by the system kept getting screwed up, but what NY should have done was pay you 2011 EUC when you exhausted the 2012 state benefits. Only after you exhausted the 2011 EUC should NY pay you EUC from the 2012 claim. If NY's system was, in fact, trying to revert to your 2011 claim, it was doing the correct thing. Paying you EUC from the 2012 claim until exhausted was not correct. But, both NY and NJ have often, randomly it seems, continued EUC from Claim 2 until the bye, when they will then revert to Claim 1 EUC.

That said, if EUC remains from your 2011 claim, yes, you should be able to resume that - assuming you began it before the establishment of the 2012 claim.

You could try filing a new claim which might trigger NY to revert to Claim 1 EUC. Your better option, imo, is to call NY and speak to a rep, yet again.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:40 AM

Thanx for the info. For whatever reason, the system was saying it was putting the claim through, but I was not getting paid. After multiple calls, it finally went through. Makes sense that they would pay EUC from first claim, guess that is why the system was screwing up. I just hope they didn't close out the 2011 claim or whatever to get they system to pay me. But it should still be in there I'm guessing.

I will just call, rather than filing a new claim. Of course my last name begins with T, so I will have to wait til Wednesday to call in. Hopefully I will get someone nice and helpful. Thanx again for the help. Will post results of call when I finally get through.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:03 PM

11,848 posts, read 5,829,762 times
I just had that happen to me. After collecting 10 weeks of tier 1 from my claim starting Jan 2011 - I reached my BYE and was told to open a new claim for a job I held for 3 months during 2011. I just recently finished all my benefits including EUC from the second claim and called to see if I would revert to the tiers from the first claim - no one knew the 3 times I called. After 1 1/2 weeks , as I checked the site daily to see if there was a tab for claim weekly benefits - it appeared. I am now back on the tiers from the first claim. Good luck with the job!

Old 06-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Thanx for the info xray731. Hopefully it will work out for me. Did you happen to file a new claim(from the site) when your second claim ended? Or did you just keep calling? Did they just try to reactivate the claim, or were they just clueless? Thanx!!

Old 06-04-2013, 03:52 AM

I called to see if I had to file a new claim - each time I was told no - if I was eligible for benefits from the first claim - Central Processing would notify me. So I just kept checking the mail and the web site. Two days after I was able to claim benefits I received a letter from the NYS Dept of Labor that notified me that I had received all available benefits from my claim but that I may be eligible to receive EUC from another claim.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:13 AM

Thanx for the info xray. I saw the post you made a couple of weeks ago regarding this. I saw you had called them for 2 weeks. When you first called, did you certify over the phone for the first week? Did you receive your payment from the first week? Just want to get all my ducks in a row before I call.

I can call tomorrow(last names starts with T). I will ask if I have to file a new claim to receive the remaining tiers from my first claim in 1/2011 and hopefully it will go the same way.

Thanx again!!!

Old 06-04-2013, 03:20 PM

When I called, I each time inquired if since my second claim benefits had expired , if I could collect any thing more on my 1st claim. Each rep I talked to said they didn't think so but if I was entitled to additional benefits then the Central Processing Office would let me know. It's a good thing I kept checking the web site everyday as I never did receive the info from the NYS Dept of Labor until 3 days after I saw I could claim benefits again. Being that the claim benefits tab did not appear until the middle of the second week of no benefits - I actually missed a week. I never opened a new claim - and a pop up asked if I was working when I went to claim benefits the second week as I had not claimed benefits since 5/6.

Good luck to you and let me know how you make out!

Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 AM

WOW! I'm shocked. Just got off the phone with a very direct rep from unemployment. I told him the situation and he said even though my second claim ended I should still be able to certify online for the first claim(I assume he meant that it should have automatically reverted to the 1st claim). He put me on hold for 4 minutes(even with the wait it was the shortest call I've ever made to unemployment), then came back and said that the claim would be reinstated by Friday and I should be able to go online and certify for the week(he specifically said, don't go on today or tomorrow). After he said that I just confirmed, "So I will logon on Friday and I will be able to certify for benefits from my first claim", he said "yes". Was expecting more of a runaround. I guess sometimes you can actually get someone helpful and that knows their ****(for lack of a better word).

Now, hopefully this will actually happen. I know from dealing with unemployment previously that sometimes things don't always go as planned. But I'm very optimistic. If I am not able to certify on Friday, will call again and hopefully get someone on the phone as equally helpful. If I don't get through to someone I might not get paid for the week(I'll live), but it seems as if I am definitely entitled to the reaming benefits from my first claim(1/2011)(when I see the money in the bank I will breathe more easily) .

Fingers crossed!! I will post again if I have any more issues or if things actually go well.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:05 AM

Fantastic! Glad you got hold of someone who knew something - wish I had! Hopefully there won't be any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment