Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 804 times

Advertisements

Hi, I accepted work for an ongoing commission-only job as an independent contractor. Some weeks I'm working full time and others I am not--some weeks I make more than my previous benefit amount and others I make less or none. My question is: can I reopen my claim (I believe the claim period is still ongoing since it was in March that I started working) and collect benefits on weeks that I make little to no money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 04:47 PM

25,607 posts, read 56,725,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartkaz View Post
Hi, I accepted work for an ongoing commission-only job as an independent contractor.

Some weeks I'm working full time
You are not allowed to claim benefits when you are working full-time - whether or NOT you have earned any money that week.

California defines full-time as:
Quote:
For the purposes of determining UI eligibility, full-time work in a week consists of the number of hours considered to be the standard or customary workweek for an occupation in a geographic or labor market area.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/uibdg/Total_an...ment_TPU_5.htm
Quote:
others I am not--
You can reopen the claim, report the hours worked and gross earnings for the week - WHETHER OR NOT PAID - CA will pay its partial benefit - which means CA deducts 75% of your gross earnings (whether or not paid) from your benefit and pays the difference.

Quote:
some weeks I make more than my previous benefit amount
Don't claim that week, or report earnings. CA will close the claim, you will need to call CA to reopen.

Quote:
others I make less or none.
You can claim that week, report hours worked and gross earnings - WHETHER OR NOT PAID.

Quote:
My question is: can I reopen my claim (I believe the claim period is still ongoing since it was in March that I started working) and collect benefits on weeks that I make little to no money?
Your current benefit year expires in March 2016. Yes, you can reopen the claim, report hours worked and earnings. CA will pay as per above.

CA Handbook, here:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de1275a.pdf

It clearly explains how you are to claim benefits when working.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 708 times
How long does it take to reopen a claim? I reopen mine online after not collecting for a few weeks. How quick will they make my ui benifits go active again?

Old 03-04-2016, 09:32 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,239,134 times
The best and fastest way is to call EDD. I know it's a pain, but it's the surest way to be able to resume filing your biweekly claim forms. Just too many prior posts on this issue that the online submission just doesn't seem to work reliably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment