Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 PM

13 posts, read 39,358 times

Advertisements

Situation: I lost my job in 2/10, filed a claim and received UC for 9 months. I was into the Tiers when I finally found a job. I lost that job after 6 months and filed a 2nd claim. Thanks to the Deferred New Claim Payment Program, I was placed back on the tiers from my first claim and finished them out. Since I have a part time job, it took a while to finally exhaust those tiers. Then, in May 2012, the 2nd claim was automatically opened. Again, it took 9 months to exhaust the first 26 weeks worth of benefits because I have part time income and I wasn't getting my full WBA each week. My last claim form for this period was for the week ending 2/9/13, and the second week was XX'd out since there was only enough money left for part of the 1st week. This last claim form stated that I had no funds left, and that I may qualify for an extension which would be filed for me automatically. I know all this, so I didn't worry. A few days later, I received a claim form for the 2nd, XX'd out week (ending 2/16/13), with the box marked "X" requiring me to record my work search. I assumed this was my first Tier 1 claim form, but I was confused as to why it only covered 1 week. I filled it out, mailed it in, and was paid for that one week. What has me confused is that the payment was about $75 less than what I normally receive, AND the 2nd week on this form was XX'd out again. I thought the tiers kicked in with 2 week claim periods? Furthermore, when I got the stub in the mail, there were no other claim forms attached. Just a note at the top that said "your balance after this payment is $0.00" and "You may qualify for a new claim, please call EDD...". Does this mean I did not qualify for an extension? And if not, why was I able to certify for that week? I have received no paperwork from EDD regarding my claim status, nor have I received any new claim forms for the past 2 weeks. These would be due this Sunday, 3/3. I did try calling EDD, and the Telecert system told me I was calling too early to certify and to please call back no earlier than 3/3. I wonder if this means I AM getting an extension, or maybe they just haven't updated my claim status to "closed" in their system? I should also note that, until now, all of my claim forms have had 5/23/13 as my claim expiration date. The last one, however (for that weird 1 week check that I thought was the beginning of Tier 1) states that my claim expiration date is 2/5/11 (the expiration date of my 1st claim). Should I be worried? Any insight would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 11:30 PM

25,608 posts, read 56,706,478 times
You have finished your state benefits from your 2012 claim, got an odd payment for that final week, and then were transitioned to EUC from the 2010 claim. There was apparently a small balance remaining on EUC on that claim, even though you thought you had exhausted it. Tier 4 is now paying 10 weeks, not six, so chances are there remains a few more weeks of EUC on the 2010 claim.

When all EUC from the 2010 is claim exhausted, CA should transition you to EUC from the 2012 claim, if it is eligible, and provided 2010 claim EUC is exhausted before your May 23, 2013 bye.

The xx'd claim forms often are sent along with one-week stand-alone claims when you are finishing or beginning a level of benefits - whether it is state or tier.

You probably should call CA to check on the whereabouts of your claim forms and the exact status of your 2010 claim, and ascertain for certain the 2012 claim is eligible for EUC.

Last page or two of this thread has good suggestions on how to get through:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...alifornia.html

Let us know what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment