Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 04:02 PM

28 posts, read 69,431 times

Advertisements

Hello. I hope someone can give me some information on this. Beginning in Feb of 2013 I was collecting on an existing claim (not sure what tier - I believe 3). I collected until July 2013 when I began working a contract job scheduled to end in 12/2013. It ended 12/6 and I filed claim on 12/10. I have received my 'continued' claim form.
My question is - if the government does NOT extend benefits and I am eligible for a NEW claim, will EDD automatically file it for me off the form I completed on 12/10 OR do I need to file again? Thanks for any info.

Last edited by avalon33; 12-23-2013 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: update information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 04:51 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon33 View Post
Hello. I hope someone can give me some information on this. Beginning in Feb of 2013 I was collecting on an existing claim (not sure what tier - I believe 3). I collected until July 2013 when I began working a contract job scheduled to end in 12/2013. It ended 12/6 and I filed claim on 12/10. As of now I have received nothing (probably due to their hours being cut).

My question is - if the government does NOT extend benefits and I am eligible for a NEW claim, will EDD automatically file it for me off the form I completed on 12/10 OR do I need to file again? Thanks for any info.
Your exact claim history, please.

You can't possibly be on Tier 3 at this point unless you reopened an old claim. Meanwhile, I'll conjecture based on the information you posted.

You say you began collecting in Feb. of 2013.

Did you reopen an existing claim at that time, or was this a first and/or another NEW claim?

If a new claim, how many weeks' benefits did the monetary determination provide?

More likely, you have begun Tier 1 of that original 2/13 claim - AFTER you exhausted your state benefits sometime in July and before you began that contract job. Fyi, state benefits are not a tier.

If you were collecting on or are about to be eligible for EUC Tier 1, CA will pay those benefits through week ending December 28, 2013. Thereafter, unless Congress extends the legislation sometime in January, there are no further benefits available to you until 2/2014 - at what I presume is your BYE from this claim.

You can reapply for a new claim at your 2/14 BYE. Your contract earnings, provided they were paid on W-2, will create new state claim eligibility at that time.

Since you probably had an existing claim, what you should have done when that job ended was immediately call CA to reopen that old claim. They need to know why the contract job ended, and will need to check with that employer before resuming your benefits.

Even if you filed a new claim online on 12/10, under CA's old system you should have heard from CA by now. However, CA's problematic new system does not process new claim apps properly when an existing claim already exists.

You need to make a good effort to contact CA. Use suggestions on last few pages of this thread to get through. Start dialing early a.m. and keep dialing.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...alifornia.html

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-23-2013 at 05:21 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 02:31 PM

Hi. Thank you for the reply. Let me clarify a few things. I filed an 'existing' claim' online on 12/10 with my most recent contract and did receive the confirmation from EDD. It states the claim ends 1/25/14. I have received benefits for two weeks.

Prior to that (before working my contract ending in December), I was collecting benefits from 2/13-7/13.

In 2012 I was collecting for just a few weeks in January, the 1st - 24th, and was employed through the whole year. In 2011, I collected from Jan-March then worked until July. My benefits on my claim ran out on 9/2011 and I received the notice on the remainder of the benefits that I had 'received all the benefits on your claim. You may qualify for extended benefits', etc. One week later I got a new claim form with a new balance of $3675 after being paid for 2 weeks ($900). These ran out on 12/3/11 and I got a letter telling me my extension was exhasted and I was eligible for another extension and the max benefit would be $5850. I collected on this until 1/25/12 when I went back to work and did not reopen it until 2/13 and collected thru 7/13. When I reopened on 12/10/13, there were 4 weeks of benefits left and I have been paid for two. When I received the claim form in the mail it said the claim expires on 1/25/2014. Now the extensions have been eliminated. So it looks like two extensions were received. I am guessing I can open a NEW claim online on 1/25/14, is this correct?

Adiadnee22, can you clarify one thing please? It sounds like you are saying I can file a NEW Claim in February. Why 2/14 and not sooner? My existing claim ends 1/25/14, however, I believe that is now void. I did earn enough from 7/13 thru 12/13 to qualify for a new claim. The end of the extensions is very confusing. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

EDD has not instructed anyone who has become unemployed in the last few months (whose extensions are now gone), who are eligible for a new claim on what they should do. That is what I need to know. Thank you so much.

Last edited by avalon33; 12-28-2013 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: update information

Old 12-28-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Hi. Thank you for the reply. Let me clarify a few things. I filed an 'existing' claim' online on 12/10 with my most recent contract and did receive the confirmation from EDD. It states the claim ends 1/25/14. I have received benefits for two weeks.

Adiadnee22, can you clarify one thing please? It sounds like you are saying I can file a NEW Claim in February. Why 2/14 and not sooner? My existing claim ends 1/24, however, I believe that is now void. I did earn enough from 7/13 thru 12/13 to qualify for a new claim. The end of the extensions is very confusing. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
Why 2/14? Because without more specific information, which you provided today, I was guessing at your bye.

Now that I know your bye is 1/25/14, I will state you can file for a new claim at that time.

CA does not allow more than one claim in a 12-month period. Therefore, you file for a new claim at that time, not before, even though you have worked. Those new earnings will create new claim eligibility on 1/25/14. Earnings prior to your bye DO NOT create new claim eligibility - unless those earnings were in another state and you file in that state - the state in which you earned the wages - for a claim. Otherwise, in CA, you wait until your bye.

Quote:
EDD has not instructed anyone who has become unemployed in the last few months (whose extensions are now gone), who are eligible for a new claim on what they should do. That is what I need to know.
EDD hasn't instructed, because there is nothing to do. If your benefit year has not yet expired, you wait until it does to file for a new claim. Normally, EDD sends letters prior to the bye stating you may have new claim eligibility.

If Congress extends the EUC legislation, then CA will resume paying EUC until your bye, at which time it will test for a new claim.

If there is an extension, it will take a few weeks for CA to get up to speed on payment of EUC after this lapse, especially with their new software, so don't expect any money during January.

Here is CA's page on the extensions:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/F...Extensions.htm

Old 12-28-2013, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the reply. A lot clearer on this now. We'll see what happens with EDD.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:27 PM

When a claim ends on a specific date, and you've exhausted all benefits prior to this date, will EDD let you adjust the date so you don't have to wait several weeks to file the new one. I have heard of adjustments....

Old 01-05-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
When a claim ends on a specific date, and you've exhausted all benefits prior to this date, will EDD let you adjust the date so you don't have to wait several weeks to file the new one. I have heard of adjustments....
Adjustments, as far as I know, have been done at the beginning of the claim - changing a filing date by a few weeks to get a better benefit. Have not heard of anyone in CA establishing a new benefit year prior to the bye of their current benefit year, however.

With the possibility of an EUC extensions, unlikely CA would establish a new state claim prior the bye when it might be paying retro EUC.

Also, its UIBDG is pretty clear on no more than one claim in a 52-week period.
Quote:
The claimant is allowed only one new claim per 52-week benefit year; once the new claim is filed, any subsequent opening of the claim is either an additional or a reopened claim, as described below. Once the new claim has been filed, and provided there is no bar to filing an additional or reopened claim (such as a disqualification), there is no limit on the number of times the claim may be opened and closed.
New Claim:

A new claim is defined in Title 22, Section 1326-2, as "an application for the establishment of a benefit year and a computation of the maximum benefits payable and the weekly rate."

Miscellaneous MI 5 - Claim Filing Requirements
You could try, of course. Nothing lost.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:08 PM

20 posts, read 48,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

If there is an extension, it will take a few weeks for CA to get up to speed on payment of EUC after this lapse, especially with their new software, so don't expect any money during January.

Here is CA's page on the extensions:

New Developments on Federal Unemployment Extensions and Benefit Cuts
According to the above the link it says:

In the event Congress does enact legislation within a reasonable time, the EDD is poised and ready to issue the required continued claim forms immediately. We are keeping track of the claimants who are currently collecting EUC benefits. So if extensions do continue, EDD will automatically file and send out the forms - claimants would not need to contact the Department.

Let's hope it does pass and EDD gets it together

Old 01-08-2014, 03:33 PM

Thank you both! Yes, hoping the extensions are reinstated!!

Old 01-09-2014, 08:25 PM

Hi all. OK - new crazy dilemma. I didn't receive my benefits this week. Instead I got a letter from EDD for a phone interview to see if I am eligible for benefits (after they already paid 2 weeks). I did not quit my job. I am a consultant and finished my contract. I go through different agencies that set up interviews and I work on site at companies. Turns out, my most recent employer mistakenly put in the database that I resigned. After contacting them, I got an email from them which states the following:

Quote:

your reason for ending was mistakenly entered as
Resigned B, which means it was a positive end, assignment was close to ending.
This was the information I provided to EDD, as well as the assignment scheduled
end date, which was close to the actual end date.

I did just confirm that this should have been closed as
Project Completed, since you did not Resign and there was no additional project
work. Our database has been updated with the corrected information and I am
very sorry for the inconvenience you have had with EDD.

So I guess I can read this on my interview on Monday!!! If they even call me. Also, my employer screwed up on contract end date. It was originally supposed to end on a specific date in December but my on site supervisor shortened consultants contracts by 2 weeks due to budgetary reasons. My agency was informed of the change but did not update their database so EDD has ALSO been given two dates..one from me which is correct and the one from my staffing company which was incorrect. So TWO discrepancies. The company has apologized all over the place to me and they 'said' they are going to try to fix this on their end.....AFTER I said why do I have to have this call when these two errors are on your end. They have put me in a position where I could lose my benefits. I plan to explain to EDD about the date change and that it was for budgetary reasons (true) and READ them the email from the company and give the name of the person who wrote it (address, ie).

I have no idea how this works. Does the person on the phone make the decision? If not, how long does it take? Can my company rectify this with a call to them? I am beyond upset and freaked out. My lifeline has disappeared because they didn't update a database and pressed the wrong button. I am reading horror stories about how when things like this happen the backlog is months. My employer (staffing agency) is on my side and said they would do everything in their power to help and they have apologized. Can one of you experts give me some input. THANKS in advance!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment