Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 05:41 PM

6 posts, read 51,036 times

Advertisements

I posted this on the NJ section of this site, but haven't found an answer yet...figured I'd post here too.

I am currently on Unemployment Insurance (NJ) and am pregnant. I plan on applying for disability while still eligible for UI. Does anyone know if disablity $ comes out of the same pot as UI? In other words, if I have a balance of $5500 in my UI, and then claim disability, will my disability payments come out of that $5500, or will disability be a separate account and my UI continue after i'm able to work again?

The reason I'm asking is that I know I only have $xxxx.00 left in my UI account before I've exhausted all my benefits. I would like to know if a new disability account will give me more time or will it come from the same $xxxx.00 left. I'm afraid I'll be left dry before I"m fully recovered if it's from the same $xxxx.00 left from my UI account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 06:05 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Far from a rightwinger - but this is way too much of an entitlement mentality for me. I had no idea pregnancy was considered a disability. Wouldn't fly here in Wisconsin, I can tell you that.

Is it SSDI you are thinking of applying for, or does NJ have a state program for this?

Old 09-15-2010, 06:48 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
SSDI is not tied to UI.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:38 PM

6 posts, read 51,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Far from a rightwinger - but this is way too much of an entitlement mentality for me. I had no idea pregnancy was considered a disability. Wouldn't fly here in Wisconsin, I can tell you that.

Is it SSDI you are thinking of applying for, or does NJ have a state program for this?
I'm sorry - I should've been clearer...I'm planning to apply for disability once I have the baby (which I think e/o in the USA is entitled to!). Thank G-d I'm not disabled at this time, and thus eligible for UI since I was laid off.

Unfortunately, no one will hire me at this point (and especially in this economy with an "employer's market").

New Jersey has a temporary disability program, which I will be eligible for even while on UI. It is completely legal to obtain temporary disability while on UI (check NJ's website for more info). Please note, I cannot (and will not) "double dip" both UI and temporary disability - the law does not allow it.

My question still remains - does the $ comes from the same balance, or are they 2 separate accounts? Anyone know?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 PM

613 posts, read 960,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRM View Post
I'm sorry - I should've been clearer...I'm planning to apply for disability once I have the baby (which I think e/o in the USA is entitled to!). Thank G-d I'm not disabled at this time, and thus eligible for UI since I was laid off.

Unfortunately, no one will hire me at this point (and especially in this economy with an "employer's market").

New Jersey has a temporary disability program, which I will be eligible for even while on UI. It is completely legal to obtain temporary disability while on UI (check NJ's website for more info). Please note, I cannot (and will not) "double dip" both UI and temporary disability - the law does not allow it.

My question still remains - does the $ comes from the same balance, or are they 2 separate accounts? Anyone know?
You can collect both UB and disability as long as your disability states you can still work with restrictions. Remember, on your weekly UB claim form one of the questions is "are you able to work". Well if your on disability and your doctor states your not able to work, then you can't collect UB.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:32 PM

140 posts, read 612,229 times
In California, SDI, or state disability insurance, is administered by the Employment Development Dept. So are Unemployment Insurance benefits. It is indeed legal to collect both at the same time. Pregnancy may not be a disability physically, so you're ready, willing and able to work, but it is sure a hindrance to getting hired for a job, especially in this market! I wish you the best with your new baby!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRM View Post
Please note, I cannot (and will not) "double dip" both UI and temporary disability - the law does not allow it.

Sounds like they increase the balance to which you were entitled by up to 50%, although I think I read NJ pregnancy disability is somewhere between 6-10 weeks.
Quote:

Maximum Benefit Amount
You are entitled to one (1) week of potential benefits for each base week in your base year period during which you worked in covered employment, subject to a maximum of 26 weeks. As of 7-24-09 a base week is a week with earnings of at least $145.

If you have an unemployment insurance claim and become disabled while unemployed during the benefit year (a benefit year is one year minus two days period beginning from the date of the claim.), you may be paid Disability During Unemployment benefits against that claim. In general you will receive the same weekly benefit rate as you were receiving on your unemployment insurance claim. The maximum that you can collect in unemployment insurance and Disability During Unemployment combined is one and one-half times the maximum benefit amount on your claim. If you do not have a current unemployment insurance claim, the filing of a valid Disability During Unemployment claim will start a benefit year for you.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Benefit Calculations - Disability During Unemployment

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-15-2010 at 09:26 PM..

Old 09-16-2010, 08:27 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
You can collect both UB and disability as long as your disability states you can still work with restrictions. Remember, on your weekly UB claim form one of the questions is "are you able to work". Well if your on disability and your doctor states your not able to work, then you can't collect UB.

She doesn't want to work.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:47 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

Actually years ago when I went on the 6 weeks pregnancy leave it WAS a disability.

I received Disability Checks for the 6 weeks .

My understanding is that pregnancy is considered temporary disability and that person can be treated no differently than the employee who suffers a heart attack and must take 4 weeks off to recover from a heart attack.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Actually years ago when I went on the 6 weeks pregnancy leave it WAS a disability.

I received Disability Checks for the 6 weeks .

My understanding is that pregnancy is considered temporary disability and that person can be treated no differently than the employee who suffers a heart attack and must take 4 weeks off to recover from a heart attack.
To my knowledge, Wisconsin has no state disability programs other than workmen's comp. Other than what might be provided by an employer, if one is sick or injured, one is on their own and without income if one can't qualify for SSDI which takes a long time. This is a real revelation to me - that one can actually obtain state benefits for illness, pregancy, whatever. Who knew? And here I thought Wisconsin was a progressive state.

Wisconsin Disability Determination Bureau Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment