Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:59 AM

15,909 posts, read 21,645,628 times

Advertisements

I was holding off on posting anything until I got the official offer, but just wanted to let you all know that I found a job! Not only that, it's certainly a job that I could see myself making a career out of. I will be working as an Alumni Relations Department Coordinator with a focus on written communication and marketing at a prestigious university. Working in the Development/Fundraising Department will give me the skills to later go on and work for a large nonprofit or NGO (my dream career path) with a very specific skill set.

The pay is at the top end of my range and the benefits are phenomenal. I start in about 3 weeks, provided I can long distance find a roommate (pay might be good, but not good enough to live on my own in Boston!).

To everyone still looking- keep trying! I was averaging around 200 applications per call back and 5 phone screens per in person interview. It's become such a ridiculous numbers game, you just can't give up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:40 AM

183 posts, read 469,784 times
That is wonderful! Congrats and good luck!

Old 09-01-2010, 12:29 PM

625 posts, read 3,650,116 times
CONGRATS

Old 09-01-2010, 06:31 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,806,590 times
Good luck on keeping the job and acquiring a Boston accent! Did you do a nationwide jobhunt to get the job? How long were you unemployed?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:42 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,532,318 times
Always glad to hear when someone finds a job..especially a good one. Congrats to you.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:09 PM

25 posts, read 54,186 times
Congratulations! Best of luck!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:39 PM

15,909 posts, read 21,645,628 times
Thanks everyone! Try not to lose hope. My offer has sparked my dad to put forth renewed dedication to finding something (after his benefits ran out, he's really lost hope) and my mom to really push to find a better job. My mom already has an interview for a job with benefits which, if any of you have followed my story, is a serious need for my middle-aged parents right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Good luck on keeping the job and acquiring a Boston accent! Did you do a nationwide jobhunt to get the job? How long were you unemployed?
I had a worldwide jobhunt. I've only been "unemployed" in truth for 3 months- I got the unofficial offer on my 3 month college graduation anniversary. In those 3 months, I was treating applying for jobs like a full time, 80 hour a week job- mostly focusing on professional jobs but also trying to get fast food, waitressing, and retail jobs as well. Before that, I had been applying for various things for 8 months- starting in the fall with consulting, fellowship, and post-grad programs, government jobs in the winter, and the rest of my job hunt ramping up around early March.

In all, I had been job hunting for 10 or 11 months. I've been applying for 20+ hours a week for at least 6 months.

I got this job through networking. I had been largely focusing my job hunt in the Southeast and in DC (since I wanted to work for the government or an NGO) but would apply to anything I sounded remotely qualified for regardless of where it was located- including Alaska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, and Wyoming (not that there's anything wrong with those states- just very much not places I would enjoy living). When I decided to refocus my job hunt to include Boston and NYC, I contacted my old supervisor from my college job and asked her if she knew of any openings. She told me to apply to a job at my university that required a few more years of experience that I had and helped me craft my coverletter to smooth over the lack of experience. Then I contacted the director of my department and asked her if she would be willing to push my resume forward. Not only did she hand deliver my resume, but she also made phone calls to anyone remotely pertinent for the job.

Of course, I still had to get myself through the numerous interviews, but networking is how I got over the distance of the job search for a very, very, very competitive field to enter (higher ed administration).

Really, it was a lot of luck. I happened to make a good impression during a college job where many other student workers slacked off and I built a strong rapport with my supervisor. Then I happened to contact my supervisor at the perfect time and happened to be in Boston for another interview at the time (which meant that I was the first person they interviewed). I even was able to interview for another 3 jobs at the university based on the internal distribution of my application. Being an alumni of the college also helped.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,058,592 times
Good luck, alumni relations is a good starting point and educational fundraising is a great training ground.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:03 AM

11,437 posts, read 19,180,032 times
Congrats on winning the "job lottery".

Old 09-02-2010, 12:10 PM

25,633 posts, read 56,825,752 times
Congratulations! Great story, and an example of how luck is often preparation meeting opportunity. You never quit, you kept moving, and were ahead of the curve on your timeline so, of course, you would be first for interviews, etc. Luck in your case, imo, was basically working hard on a persistent and consistent basis. You stayed focused and it paid off.

I love it. You are in your field, at your old school, with people you know. Wonderful.

ETA: For the job hunters, counselor at Jobs Corps told me he got his job through someone he met when volunteering. It does appear networking can be effective. Seeds are planted - and often sprout later on - as in the case of OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment