Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 06:44 AM

8 posts, read 54,187 times

Advertisements

I voluntarily left my job in NJ because I was no longer receiving the reasonable accommodation for my disability that they provided me with for a year. I tried to work with them for over two months to get this back or something equal, but they just gave me the run-around. I filed for unemployment and had a meeting with the examiner and she determined that I was eligible for benefits. I was receiving benefits for two months when I received notification in the mail that the employer had filed an appeal. I have not received my appeal date, but in the mean time, I am pretty sure I found a job.

Will I still need to have the appeal hearing if I am starting a new job and will no longer need unemployment?

Will they make me pay back all the money I've gotten the last three months?

My attorney seems to think that I won't have to have the appeal because it was originally in my favor, but I'm not so sure.

It seems every time I call NJ unemployment I either can't get through or I'm put on hold for an hour and get a representative that doesn't know what they are doing.

If anyone has been in this situation and can help, I would appreciate it!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 08:38 PM

102 posts, read 324,787 times
Please consult an expert, lawyer, or directly from unemployment on the real facts before reading what I have to say. I know some of this based on personal experience, but they may not be accurate.

Will I still need to have the appeal hearing if I am starting a new job and will no longer need unemployment?
Most likely you will have to be present for the appeal hearing. Being that the appeal hearing will let you know if you are eligible or not, and if you are not and get disqualified theres a chance where you will have to give them all the money you received from unemployment back.

Will they make me pay back all the money I've gotten the last three months?
Possibly, so make sure you are present during the interview.

My attorney seems to think that I won't have to have the appeal because it was originally in my favor, but I'm not so sure.
Your attorney may think anyway they want, but ultimately it's the appeals examiner's decision. I've won an appeal two times, but now I have another one coming up.

It seems every time I call NJ unemployment I either can't get through or I'm put on hold for an hour and get a representative that doesn't know what they are doing.
Call them during the weekend on a Saturday. Yes, their support lines are open and about the only times I EVER get through to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment