Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 01:27 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by havana day dreaming View Post
......0The V.I. are US territory, thats about as safe as you are going to get in the Carribean.....
In fact the USVI along with PR are considered among the more dangerous islands, like the Bahamas, Jamaica, DR and Trinidad & Tobago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 10:28 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In fact the USVI along with PR are considered among the more dangerous islands, like the Bahamas, Jamaica, DR and Trinidad & Tobago.
I've never felt unsafe in Puerto Rico ... even in the bigger cities like Mayaguez or San Juan. "Safety" is a matter of perception and common sense.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:30 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
^ absolutely...

Old 09-17-2017, 11:06 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,322 times
There you have someone that doesn't know what they're talking about, spouting something they "heard." Lived in the USVI over 12 years. Grandchildren born there. Without glossing things over, we never had a problem. And we lived with the "common folk" not in some gated community. Jamaica, DR, T&T, Honduras? Yup. PR? Never had a problem there, either. And I had to go to Guaynabo MDC almost every month for several years as part of my work.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Maineac - Do you have any friends/family left on STT? We have a friend - former CD member known as STT - she was hunkered down before Irma but we've not heard any word on her.

BTW, I concur with your assessment of St. Thomas and Puerto Rico. Our experience was as tourists, not as residents; but we never felt unsafe. Be aware; keep your wits about you, don't flaunt yourself.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:29 PM

Haven't seen or heard from she in years now. Restaurant closed and vine covered in Smith Bay. I thought she moved off island. Family is in Hull Bay area "where the good people live" (they say about themselves). All Frenchies. They're good. Roof came off our old house in Irma. I knew it would. But we far away and won't be back until December. No sense in getting in the way until then.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:53 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Haven't seen or heard from she in years now. Restaurant closed and vine covered in Smith Bay. I thought she moved off island. Family is in Hull Bay area "where the good people live" (they say about themselves). All Frenchies. They're good. Roof came off our old house in Irma. I knew it would. But we far away and won't be back until December. No sense in getting in the way until then.
Last time we were on St. Thomas, she took us on a road trip and past the old Tart which then was vine-covered. She had back surgery 2 years ago and it's given her new energy! She's now baking and soap making (moringa) and selling it on Saturdays at 4-corners. She will never move off island. It's in her bones and she absolutely loves it. When she first took us on a tour, we spent over an hour in a small historical cemetery with her giving us a history lesson. What a hoot! She brought the island alive with her stories.

And to think we originally met her on C-D. That St. Thomas tour was our first in-person meeting with her.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:46 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Last time we were on St. Thomas, she took us on a road trip and past the old Tart which then was vine-covered. She had back surgery 2 years ago and it's given her new energy! She's now baking and soap making (moringa) and selling it on Saturdays at 4-corners. She will never move off island. It's in her bones and she absolutely loves it. When she first took us on a tour, we spent over an hour in a small historical cemetery with her giving us a history lesson. What a hoot! She brought the island alive with her stories.

And to think we originally met her on C-D. That St. Thomas tour was our first in-person meeting with her.
If you are thinking about STT Resident, it looks like she was banned. Why, I have no idea. But I miss her posts as she told it like it was.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:56 PM

Can't imagine she was banned. I'm way worse than she ever was. I'll have to check out 4 Corners in December when I run over to Friendly Grocery on a Saturday for a Hull Bay 12 pack. Why did I think she might've moved to Canada or something?

Old 09-19-2017, 07:00 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I've never felt unsafe in Puerto Rico ... even in the bigger cities like Mayaguez or San Juan. "Safety" is a matter of perception and common sense.
Interestingly enough many Puerto Ricans don't seem to agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories