Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 03:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,188,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriscottage View Post
All that about saying good morning & afternoon didn't work for us. Not all but most were RUDE to us anyway. People who aren't locals should be able to act they way they normally act. It isn't MY custom to say good morning.
We finally stopped making the effort. I don't act different when I go to another state is US, why should I there? What makes them so special?
To me, they are the RUDE ones to treat visitors this way all because they didnt say good morning, give me a break.
The blacks are for sure predjudice against whites. One example: While shopping downtown, one lady trying to draw us in her store, asked if we were shopping for jewelry. I said no. (We had already bought all we needed.) She asked why NOT? You don't like black people? I said "Yeah, that's it." How absurd and rude this ignorant person would say that to us.
The taxi drivers and local drivers were especially rude and beligerent. We had a rental car and they acted like we had no right to be on the road.
I think the natives of STT need to figure out that tourist drive their economy and if it weren't for us, they'd have no JOBS. That's for the ones who have jobs and wern't loitering on the streets drinking all day...who would also walk right out in front of your car.
I'd never go back and if I had known how the locals were and traffic, I'd never have gone.
It appeared most residents were low income and my guess is they resent tourist who come there because they can afford to vacation and spend $
I am not going to apologize for not being poor.
Well, you should probably apologize for poor manners, anyway.

Moderator cut: edit If you traveled to Japan, you'd observe the local courtesies wouldn't you? Of course you would. Strolling through a foreign destination with the attitude of "I'm a tourist about to spend this money so you better treat me right" won't fly anywhere you go.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-19-2008 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,892,897 times
The ugly Americian attitude in full bloom.

I've lived in Europe and visit the Caribbean often and American Tourist are the worst. It seems that They (we I am American) want Everyone to speak English and Beahve as we do.
When you don't even TRY to respect the culture you are visiting then PLEASE do US all a FAVOR and stay home.

I love St John and yes a simple Good morning was all that was needed we were greeted with smiles and a return "Good morning, what can I do to help you?" NEVER did I see a rude local. Even the guy who was picking up ALL the trash and left over Beer cans on beach was friendly, seeing his beautiful island home used as a trash recepticle.

This statement explains so much...
Quote:
I think the natives of STT need to figure out that tourist drive their economy
FIRST they are LOCALS not natives.
and second, your dollars don't give you an entitlement. Many of the locals would be happy on ST John to see a hault to all the buliding and NO cruise ships etc..

Old 05-29-2008, 12:33 PM

947 posts, read 3,573,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
The ugly Americian attitude in full bloom.

I've lived in Europe and visit the Caribbean often and American Tourist are the worst. It seems that They (we I am American) want Everyone to speak English and Beahve as we do.
When you don't even TRY to respect the culture you are visiting then PLEASE do US all a FAVOR and stay home.

I love St John and yes a simple Good morning was all that was needed we were greeted with smiles and a return "Good morning, what can I do to help you?" NEVER did I see a rude local. Even the guy who was picking up ALL the trash and left over Beer cans on beach was friendly, seeing his beautiful island home used as a trash recepticle.

This statement explains so much...

FIRST they are LOCALS not natives.
and second, your dollars don't give you an entitlement. Many of the locals would be happy on ST John to see a hault to all the buliding and NO cruise ships etc..
Very well said!

Old 06-02-2008, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 6,709 times
I was born in St.Croix and moved to the U.S about 20 years ago, and please let me add that St.Croix is a beautiful place. After Hugo it took us some time to get it back together, but we did. I still go back every now and then.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 24,990 times
I agree in general the islanders are friendly people from my experience although I havent been to US Virgin Islands. They are definitely more friendlier than a lot of New Yorkers. :-) .. On the other hand, we might want to give "iriscottage" the benefit of doubt that they could have had unfortunately bad experience..although the attitude did sound a problem..

Old 04-24-2009, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,402 times
Wow interesting to see that one bad experience labels a whole island. We probably dont want you on the road because you drive on the wrong side and try to kill us. The average Virgin Islander may not make as much because our values are different for example my grandmother owns 30 acres of land free and clear all her children and grandchildren went to the best private school on the island she retired at 55 y/o and travels all over the world constantly. But she drives a hoopty.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:58 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,009,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcher86 View Post
Wow interesting to see that one bad experience labels a whole island. We probably dont want you on the road because you drive on the wrong side and try to kill us. The average Virgin Islander may not make as much because our values are different for example my grandmother owns 30 acres of land free and clear all her children and grandchildren went to the best private school on the island she retired at 55 y/o and travels all over the world constantly. But she drives a hoopty.
Um...does grandma need a husband?

I'm heading home for carnival in a few days and I CAN'T wait!

Estate Bovoni massive!

Old 04-25-2009, 12:28 AM

345 posts, read 1,278,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Estate Bovoni massive!
hehe, estate Bovoni is an interesting place

Old 04-25-2009, 09:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,736,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Um...does grandma need a husband?

I'm heading home for carnival in a few days and I CAN'T wait!

Estate Bovoni massive!
Happy homecoming and happy carnival. Maybe I'll see you in the Village! Cheers!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:04 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,009,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbanks101 View Post
hehe, estate Bovoni is an interesting place
Sure is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories